Witcher 3 - Loading error/Desktop Crash

+
Hello,

I recently started witcher 3 again. I already had put in 92h of game time. But now for some reason, I can't get the game running again.
Menu loads fine. When loading last save game first thing that appears is a black screen (no loading screen) and then a weird graphic glitch.
pic1.png

After some time, the game loads into this scenario:
pic2.png

I reinstalled the game, checked game file integrety in steam (it even downloaded a single file again - didnt help)
Also I reinstalled my nVidia driver. (I even started the game without any GPU driver, didnt help)
I used 5 mods - uninstalled - didnt help either.

One change between the last time I played witcher and today was a major windows 10 update (update to 1809)
But I dont know if this could be the reason.

Attached you can also see the crashinfo log.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• witcher3.exe_crash_20190424_224852313.crashinfo.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 97
That is unusual. It looks a bit like an issue I once encountered in Witcher 2, as the result of outdated graphics drivers. However, you've already taken the steps I would have suggested, but, still, let's go over some basics. First, what are your system's specifications? Also, it looks as though you have the game installed in Programme, which I assume is the German for Program Files. If so, you might try re-installing Steam outside of that directory, as installations there can cause problems.

System specs indeed. And also, can you list your complete installation path and driver version?

Also, are you using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

Sorry, totally forgot the specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7977
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 32GB RAM
GPU: MSI nvidia Geforce GTX 1070

Steam install path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
Games install path: G:\Programme\SteamApps\common\The Witcher 3

I run steam on my system drive (SSD) and the large games are stored on the bigger HDD.
However, I never had any problems caused by the installation path. Witcher 3 worked just fine before.

I have uninstalled all mods.
I just used them once. I installed and uninstalled them via Nexus ModManager.

I'm not quite sure, if the GPU or its driver is the problem. As I said, I started the game with the CPU graphics driver and the same results occured.
Post automatically merged:

I managed to fix the problem.

I deleted folders "patch0" and "patch1" in "content".
Then checked the game via steam for file integrety, downloaded everything again and no its running just fine.

Last edited:
Good to hear! Strange, too. I've not heard of that being a problem for anyone for quite a while. Glad to hear it was an easy fix!

A step you may want to take now is to move the Steam installation out of Program Files(x86). I'm not sure about non-English installations of Windows, but if G:\Programme\... is the equivalent of G:\Program Files\... then it would be a good idea to move the library, too. Protected directories can be problematic for gaming in general.

Simply place both directories on the root of your drive or in a folder of your own creation. So:
C:\Steam\...
and
G:\SteamApps\... or G:\MyGameFolder\SteamApps\...

You can follow the instructions here for moving an existing Steam installation. It may require you to verify the integrity of each game once after doing so.

I do recall having a similar problem awhile back. If memory serves I fixed it with a new driver. (Geforce GTX 770 SLI)

Top Bottom