Witcher 3 loud GPU problem (video included)

+
Witcher 3 loud GPU problem (video included)

I have posted a video showcasing my problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx--8uRNDaE

Here are my PC specs :
GPU- EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked
CPU- AMD FX- 6300
RAM- 8gb
OS- Windows 8.1 64bit
"If additional information is required please ask"

EVGA PrecisionX 16 Stats: http://i.imgur.com/e5IUvRz.jpg?1

I realize not everyone will be able to watch the video so I'll do my best to thoroughly explain my problem. My problem is that when I load into the game (when I'm actually controlling my character) my GPU fans speed up making this very distracting noise, in addition the PC gets very warm too, not super hot, but very warm. I have been told that the noise is harmless when it occurred in other games but I would still like to quiet it down if that's an option, as for the heat I have also been told that unless its above 80 degrees I shouldn't worry, but again if there's a way to cool it down I would very much like to. As for the in-game settings I run everything on high.

Last edited:
If you have a program to adjust your GPU fan profile (MSI Afterburner is a good one), use it.

This game will drive your GPU to 100% usage, so if your GPU has a loud fan, it will get loud. I wouldn't set the maximum fan speed much below 80%.

Last edited:
Also ensure good ventilation around the PC, and remove dust bunnies from inside the vents and fans.

I have EVGA PrecisionX 16, I think that's the same thing as Afterburner, Ill give it a shot, but aside from that is there really nothing else I could do? And most importantly, I accept that my PC will be loud when I play this game, I must know if the loudness will lead to crashes later on?

---------- Updated at 05:24 PM ----------

PC is clean as a whistle and the ventilation is great, nothing obstructing airflow.

The loudness is by itself no concern. It's GPU temperature that can cause problems. If the cooler assembly is incapable of keeping the GPU cool under all conditions, then you are likely to get crashes or even damage the GPU.

EVGA's coolers for the 970 are not the best in the industry. I probably wouldn't do anything to lessen their cooling efficiency.

Yeah, figured as much, oh well, guess I'll just have to be careful when playing and monitor the heat. Thanks for giving me some insight on the issue.

Two things:

1) You need an adequate air flow in your case. Witcher 3 makes the GPUs work hard on high settings and while 970s are (relatively)quite and cool under load, if the airflow isn't adequate, the heat around the card will build up overtime, making the fans run at 100% throughout the session. It's nigh impossible to "burn" a modern GPU(it will clock itself down to the point of crashing the application/Windows), without upping the voltage, but the heat could shorten its lifespan.

By "an adequate airflow" I mean that the fresh air can freely come in and the hot air can easily be evacuated. Just google "PC case airflow".

2) It can be that the fan settings for you GPU are too high. Check your particular GPU max. temp and lower the fun until the temp stays there even in the most graphically heavy scene(some people are absolutely paranoid about running their CPUs/GPUs. at max. temps, but that's what THEY ARE MADE FOR).

I have kinda similar issue, but... I get almost +20 degrees on CPU (from around 65 - 84) if I open map or any ingame menu (not the main game on on Esc, but, for example, interface page).
It has always been this way since day one. I have no idea what can cause Beastiary or ingame mape to do it, but it does :D

Since you're already familiar with EVGA Precision, you can click "Fan Curve" and edit fan settings for different temperatures.
I'm not actually, it came with my card, I know the very very basics, but I have no idea what a lot of things do, I don't mess with the sliders, scared I'll set my PC on fire hehe. So what does fan curve do?

I'm not actually, it came with my card, I know the very very basics, but I have no idea what a lot of things do, I don't mess with the sliders, scared I'll set my PC on fire hehe. So what does fan curve do?

It determines the speed of the fan(s) for the temp. points. So you can make the fans run at 30% at 30 C, 40% at 40 C, etc. Whatever you wish.

It determines the speed of the fan(s) for the temp. points. So you can make the fans run at 30% at 30 C, 40% at 40 C, etc. Whatever you wish.
You've seen my screenshot, clocked at about 1400, running at 73-74c, with the fan rpm of 1350-1400. What do you think a good profile for me would be, I don't really want to experiment with something I know very little about.

You've seen my screenshot, clocked at about 1400, running at 73-74c, with the fan rpm of 1350-1400. What do you think a good profile for me would be, I don't really want to experiment with something I know very little about.

To be honest, these are pretty good numbers. Maybe a fan is faulty? Or maybe you're just accustomed to silence and the working GPU is throwing you off :)

Do you have a side case-fan, blowing on your GPU, by the way? This cheap solution can drastically reduce the temp. and "silence" the GPU.

---------- Updated at 06:27 PM ----------

P.S However, this fan should be adjustable, or it will run at 100%, making even more noise :D

To be honest, these are pretty good numbers. Maybe a fan is faulty? Or maybe you're just accustomed to silence and the working GPU is throwing you off :)

Do you have a side case-fan, blowing on your GPU, by the way? This cheap solution can drastically reduce the temp. and "silence" the GPU.

---------- Updated at 06:27 PM ----------

P.S However, this fan should be adjustable, or it will run at 100%, making even more noise :D

The working GPU IS throwing me off, I'm just not used to it. And no I don't have a side case fan, but if those are pretty good numbers then no big deal right? I guess I'm just worrying over nothing, accustomed to silence. Thanks for the help. Gonna try a full play session later and try my best to ditch the habit of "noise=bad"

The working GPU IS throwing me off, I'm just not used to it. And no I don't have a side case fan, but if those are pretty good numbers then no big deal right? I guess I'm just worrying over nothing, accustomed to silence. Thanks for the help. Gonna try a full play session later and try my best to ditch the habit of "noise=bad"

Yup, nothing to worry about. And if the noise is really bothering you, decreasing the fan speed is always an option.

Yes. It's normal. You have a very powerfull card and there are few games that can take that card to be used at full. Witcher 3 is one of them. As the card is being used more the heat grows and then the fan speed with it. If you manually rise the fan speed with msi afterburner you will have an idea on how much noise your video card can make.

Want to hear a true strange noise? Do the 3D mark test that is focused for mobile devices. Your card will achieve like 1600 fps and you actually can hear the noise that the graphic processor do. The sound gets more acute with the rise of the fps count. I noticed that on my previous card (670) and my 970 do that too. It's a normal noise so don't panic specially because it's louder with 1600 fps.

Top Bottom