Witcher 3 music

+
Nice, I don't remember this track from TW1. I'm sure TW3 will have a good amount of music like that.

It's from Chapter 5 - burning Old Vizima. Considering the state No Man's Land would be in, these sort of tracks would fit quite nicely.

@DonSwingKing The motif is in a lot of songs actually. Kaer Morhen, Chapter 3, most of the cutscene stuff - the Chapter 5 intro, for instance etc. It's even in the Dead City track I posted, at 6:10.

The song in that W3 trailer is that same main theme, slightly reworked. The theme in TW2 was quite different, easy to spot the difference in this video, starting from 1:20 - 1:37 original theme, and TW2 theme picks up right after that.

Last edited:
Not the Main Theme? Oh well it sounded great anyway. Now I'm even more interested to hear what the actual Main Theme is :huh:

The 'Elven Ruins' one was a miss though, sounded like something out of Harry Potter.

I think that theme was excellent, it gave the OST a bit of exactly what makes the witcher unique and mature: contrast and variety.

Making all songs dark and dramatic just provides a bland experience and makes the game feel forced, as most games are, either forced to high fantasy and optimism or to too much violence and serious themes for example, a classic mistake of games/other media that wanted to be "mature" and were a "tits and blood" fest.

@DonSwingKing Because of it's length and consistency, I sort of consider TW1's main theme to be this one:
Trial of Herbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCEybIVn6rk

Last edited:
Take into account it's pre-production. A lot can be added: choir, orchestra, all the epic stuff. I mean, try to imagine Skyrim's theme without the choir: it's just not complete. Do not worry bro, they'll deliver.

Yeah, it's CDPR, of course they deliver. I have the utmost faith in the devs. :happy:

I'm gonna be honest, I can listen to a wide variety of music, and I do like me some really epic tracks like that one every once in a while. But it just wouldn't fit The Witcher.

So I'm with you on this one, in the case of this particular franchise. But I don't mind that type of composition in general.

Anyway, moving away from the main theme, I hope we get to hear some more pieces like this one in No Man's Land:

[video=youtube;g-jnOgVNGDE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-jnOgVNGDE[/video]

Ah, Dead City. Brings back memories. I remember running around Vizima only to stop in the street whenever I heard my favourite part of that song. It's around 2:55 if you're wondering. :happy:

Does The Witcher 1 really have a main theme? There was a menu theme, which everybody refers to as the main theme, but it wasn't heard as much as the intro in "Dusk of a Northern Kingdom."

I would say yes, you can hear the same tune in both Witcher games. I am not referring to the menu theme of Witcher 1. Even if I like it, and I'm always mesmerised when seeing the menu after starting up the game, I wouldn't consider it the main theme of Witcher 1. You are correct regarding the intro of Dusk of a Northern Kingdom, but you clearly hear more of the theme tune in Tales of The Witcher by Adam Skorupa

and The Witcher Theme by Believe which was played as the end credits rolled.

:happy:

Last edited:
I think that theme was excellent, it gave the OST a bit of exactly what makes the witcher unique and mature: contrast and variety.

Making all songs dark and dramatic just provides a bland experience and makes the game feel forced, as most games are, either forced to high fantasy and optimism or to too much violence and serious themes for example, a classic mistake of games/other media that wanted to be "mature" and were a "tits and blood" fest.

TW1 had plenty of examples of music that was not in your typical dark fantasy, River of Life or the tavern songs, for example. Variety is no excuse for out of place music, which is what the Elven Ruins song was - a piece that was thematically disconnected from the scene and the game as a whole.

TW1 had plenty of examples of music that was not in your typical dark fantasy, River of Life or the tavern songs, for example. Variety is no excuse for out of place music, which is what the Elven Ruins song was - a piece that was thematically disconnected from the scene and the game as a whole.

I know what TW1 had, and i agree variety is no excuse for out of place, yet i think that song wasn't out of place at all, so, we will probably have to agree to disagree :p

Last edited:
@ReptilePZ yep, they sound similar, and what's the point?

The elven ruins song was composed differently to highlight the strange and rarely awe inspiring (in witcher world) nature of magic, especially when being used in a rather playful and simple way, together with some lighthearted comedy from the scene. I'm not sure what music you think would rather fit that moment of the game for example, but in any case whether i like the theme or not, what I like especially is that it's a distinct song, for a distinct moment.

It's just that Harry Potter isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when 2 people are having sex. The ME series, 2 in particular, did a really good job with the music during those parts.

Top Bottom