Witcher 3 needs a combat overhaul

+
When I first played the Witcher 3 last year, I would have rated the combat mechanics a 7.5, or even an 8 out of 10. I liked the strategic aspect of the combat, like positioning, signs, potions, bombs etcetera, which must be employed if you're to survive on the higher difficulties.

But with my play through of B&W on NG+, I'd currently rate the combat mechanics a 5/10. Why the drop you ask? I suppose this latest play through of mine has made me much less tolerable of the flaws.

There is no reason whatsoever why Geralt cannot parry or counter an attack by a human two handed weapon wielder. For certain monsters of course it's understandable, as some monsters have such a massive speed and strength advantage over Geralt. But a human? That's ridiculous.

And him being so slow. He feels like an expert human swordsman, rather than an enhanced mutant swordsman with blindingly fast moves.

When I first played the Witcher 3 last year, I would have rated the combat mechanics a 7.5, or even an 8 out of 10. I liked the strategic aspect of the combat, like positioning, signs, potions, bombs etcetera, which must be employed if you're to survive on the higher difficulties.

But with my play through of B&W on NG+, I'd currently rate the combat mechanics a 5/10. Why the drop you ask? I suppose this latest play through of mine has made me much less tolerable of the flaws.

There is no reason whatsoever why Geralt cannot parry or counter an attack by a human two handed weapon wielder. For certain monsters of course it's understandable, as some monsters have such a massive speed and strength advantage over Geralt. But a human? That's ridiculous.

And him being so slow. He feels like an expert human swordsman, rather than an enhanced mutant swordsman with blindingly fast moves.

While I agree that the combat is middling at best, there is a good reason why Geralt can't parry a two-handed weapon. What happens if you try parrying a crushing overhead blow from a war-hammer with a one handed sword? The sword goes clattering to the ground because there's no way to balance 3 feet of thin steel against that kind of blow, and the swordsman gets torn in half. You might argue that the game should implement some kind of mechanic that allows Geralt to side-step the swipe or do some other witchery dance move to open up a weak spot, but that's the least of the combat issues in this game imo.

Top Bottom