Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
I see how they were able to get the game to look so good and perform good at the same time. They don't only stream textures and objects, but also shadows (which is very computationally intensive)! Nice optimisation strategy!

Gophers video was the most informative so far I felt.

The lack of loading makes it seem all the more open/connected, unlike Skyrim and most other open world games.

Also from the videos I've watched the weather and "wind" effects REALLY stand out, kudos to whoever worked on those.

The way the wind can actually be "powerful" and not just your usual "slight breeze with trees gently swaying" but also violent hard winds that look to be harshly bending the trees and things looks amazing.

Last edited:
Just one question. Is it confirmed that you can turn off points of interest markers on the map? Because those kill the exploration for me.

Well, imo there is a difference between "Ubisoft style" and "being exactly like a Ubisoft world full of filler". Due to the internet people often misinterpret or overinterpret other people's post based on their own perception of both the actual discussion and the person talking about it - and of course because often comments aren't as exhaustive and explaining as they would be in a real time discussion. So we read what we want to read and we understand what we want to understand. ;)

And that is exactly the point. Instead trying to draw parallels with the worst thing you can imagine, just be more tempered and exact. Throwing out terms like "Ubisoft style" or "Skyrim style" just makes it more difficult for people to interpret exactly what you mean.

Just one question. Is it confirmed that you can turn off points of interest markers on the map? Because those kill the exploration for me.
You can. The HUD is way more customizable than I expected. You can see in Gopher's video a few of the things you can toggle.

Edit: You can see it here.

Last edited:
Nice.
If it is possible, could you post all options (gameplay) you can turn on/off for PC and Console?

And judging by that scroll bar there is a whole lot more.

So I watched Gopher, Angry Joe part before dwarf quest, PietSmiet and ImAnderZEL and some glimpses of polish and german videos.
Everything looks great, good job CDPRED !
1. Gopher; general impressions, nicely put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94R0Ji39E68
2. Angry Joe; boats and sirens at sea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJpWBMH9EtQ&t=872
3. PietSmiet; Skellige open world exploration (in German): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGJGDRnHT0
4. ImAnderZEL; Some nice, atmospheric pieces of footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_eRUq1PQPE
I can add to that: in Angry Joe you can find. Full game of Gwent, obiviously Joe lost, cause he's a dumbass :D
And PietSmiet is alot of combat (vs Wyvern, viking bandits, wolves) and some light spoilers for side quest about bandits.

If I have to nitpick than there is 2 little things I noticed:
in Gopher vid Geralt slices Drowner from up right to down left, the result half sliced drowner, but the cut is other way around.
Joe vid while sailing boat if often going under water.

You can see a whole lot of things that you can turn off, including "Undiscovered POIs on Minimap", in Gopher's video. It's pretty neat.

Eli is right.

Giving a bit of good constructive criticism is one thing and moaning about little things, like two boxes in the sea, over and over again, is something totally different.
That's why some people here are being seen as nitpickers and whiners - majority of their posts are about meaningless details with rare mentions of good things in the game. You can't blame others for judging them this way - this is all people see, even when, personally, the might like what they see very much.

So these people should stop making things up and calm down.

Been on this forum for a while and I have written countless positive posts and yes post with constructive criticism about the game. Then I write a post that first praises what I see in the videos and a few points I don't like. People then take out only the negative and quote only that. Naturally I respond to why that is and then people start talking about how my posts and meaningless and nitpicking. Thank you for that!

Maybe the problem isn't at my end or Scholdars for that matter but that some tend to only focus on the negative in posts and simply can't handle criticism.

And maybe you and others should ask yourself if the issues some people rises are big issues for them while other issues are small. I could glance over this thread and others and find issues people complain about that I have not interest in but I son't go around calling them meaningless or nitpicking. No I get that those issues are concerns they have about the game. If I disagree I will answer why that is but I would never tell them they are nitpicking or meaningless.

I think you are just being rude.

Last edited:
Gopher said that he had to use a controller because "The Game had not been optimized for mouse and keyboard."

Depending on which way you can take that - I imagine CDProjekt are working on that, right?

I think in his comments on the page he clarifies that he did use K+M and it seemed fine. However, CDPR requested he use controller for the preview since they felt it would create a better impression.

So hopefully they're just being cautious and are really making sure and optimising right up until the end.

Someone else suggested it was because Microsoft asked them to tell people to use Xbox controllers.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom