Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
Anybody got the link to the GDC speech on Friday 18th. I've been looking for it everywhere. Cant find it. Is it even out? If no, will it be posted online?

PC Gamer just released an interesting article which recaps a talk at GDC on Friday. The title of the lecture was "How to Craft Unique Scenes Using Generic Assets on a Massive Scale." I'll attach the link to this post, but I was wondering if anyone has video of the actual event? PC Gamer does a decent job of summarizing the major points, but I have a feeling that it would make more sense if I could see a few of the cinematic conversations in action.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/most-of-the-witcher-3s-dialogue-scenes-was-animated-by-an-algorithm/

Nice, I was waiting for this talk. The facial animations during dialogues were probably the thing I found most impressive about TW3 tech-wise. But yeah, hopefully they'll add the full presentation to the DGC vault some time down the line.

One of the REDS on Reddit had this to say about the PCGamer article.

This article went from "we do have this ability to generate first pass of everything, for speed and usability sake" to "MOST OF THE DIALOGUES IN W3 ARE GENERATED BY ROBOTS!!!!!".

God damn it, PCGamer.

"God damn it, PCGamer". Put that one on the back of the box. :p

Last edited:
One of the REDS on Reddit had this to say about the PCGamer article.

"God damn it, PCGamer". Put that one on the back of the box. :p

Ugh, PCGamer isn't what it used to be. When I was reading that article, I thought to myself, "My god, that's amazing! The entirety of the game's facial animations and cut-scenes were created by clicking 'generate' and then sitting back and having a cup of coffee." Turn out, no, that's not exactly the case. Kind of a disservice to the animators at CDPR.

Ugh, PCGamer isn't what it used to be. When I was reading that article, I thought to myself, "My god, that's amazing! The entirety of the game's facial animations and cut-scenes were created by clicking 'generate' and then sitting back and having a cup of coffee." Turn out, no, that's not exactly the case. Kind of a disservice to the animators at CDPR.

That's not really what the article says, though.

It pretty much explains that they use the first pass as a groundwork and then just tweak it until it's

Just the title's misleading, really.

Last edited:
iAnimate has released a 46-minute podcast Interview with Lead Animator Sebastian Kalemba.

---------- Updated at 02:35 PM ----------

Highlights: Before joining CDPR, Sebastian worked for the company Platige Image, that animated the cinematics and teasers for The Witcher games. He joined the actual RED Team approximately eight months before Wild Hunt's release (and had a lot of catching-up to do). He enjoyed insuring that the animations for the various characters were consistent. His personal experience in acting and theatre helped to inform his animations for the game. He tried always to keep the expressions and gestures simple, clean, natural, and avoid 'over-acting' the characters' animations. (Of interest, Sebastian considers that games are catching up with film in terms of story, depth, and visuals.)

He found that selecting which pieces of The Witcher III to polish was the most difficult challenge in the final development process, with the goal of creating the best game they could, within the limitations. On this note, time was limited, and, as lead, he had to juggle many, many tasks during development.

He has enjoyed the close-knit, small-studio feel of CDPR, and appreciates the passionate group of dedicated individuals who make up the RED family.

Humility, courage, and perseverance are his advice to new animators in the field.

Last edited:
Oooh I hope Cerys is a good card.
I'm also quite curious to see if she'll be amongst the crew. I'd imagine so.
Also I hope we will be able to get a physical copy of the Skellige cards too.
If I recall @Rafal_Jaki 's response at PAX correctly, I don't think these will be available as a physical deck. However, again, according to Rafal, new physical copies of the Nilfgaardian and Northern Realms factions will be made available, and that's something at least:
an updated version will be available with BaW or via reedemgwent

I'm also quite curious to see if she'll be amongst the crew. I'd imagine so.

If I recall @Rafal_Jaki 's response at PAX correctly, I don't think these will be available as a physical deck. However, again, according to Rafal, new physical copies of the Nilfgaardian and Northern Realms factions will be made available, and that's something at least:

Correct - no plans for Skellige to be a physical one. But we will have Nilf and NR in BaW limited Edition.

@Holgar82 @Sooxzay

I think this is it.

Not a lot of info IMO.

I would have loved them to bundle TW1, TW2 and TW3 into one long epic game, like the devs of Adventures of Van Helsing did. However unrealistic, it would have been damn cool. :p

Also no remaster planned for TW1 or TW2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom