Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
Well, most people who played (or) bought Fallout 3 or New Vegas, never played Fallout 1/2 or never heard about them.. I played and finished FNV, but never finished any previous Fallout game - I have them on GOG (never ever I going to play again Fallout 3 - bad RPG), but I played W1 and W2.. the same with Deus Ex/2 and Deus Ex : Human Revolution..

And then there's the PS4 owners - I don't think they could reasonably be expected to go out and buy a PC capable of running TW2. And people who only like open world games and may just decide to walk away from TW3 if they think they need to play the others first. And anyone who reads comments saying "you really must spend 40 hours playing the other two games first, oh and also read six books" and thinks "screw that".

Aaah...I'm asking when will game journalists understand that the combat system, in an RPG, is not so important?

---------- Updated at 04:09 PM ----------

Well, most people who played (or) bought Fallout 3 or New Vegas, never played Fallout 1/2 or never heard about them.. I played and finished FNV, but never finished any previous Fallout game - I have them on GOG (never ever I going to play again Fallout 3 - bad RPG), but I played W1 and W2.. the same with Deus Ex/2 and Deus Ex : Human Revolution..

Bad.
Fallout 1/2 are very important in the history of RPG genre. :(

I approached this curiously because I also felt that the hype is getting overboard, but I ended the read bored and disappointed, with the impression that Adam Carr just wants to play the unfazed role. But he doesn't really give any convincing reasons.

Please post your reply below the article in that site, what a piece of shit to read my god....

Hopefully never since it is important to many people.

Storically speaking, it's not.
Planescape Torment has a shitty combat system, but it doesn't matter, because it's all about dialogues tree, quest design and choice&consequences.
If you ask to Urqhuart (Fallout,Planescape,Kotor,Mask of the Betrayer,Pillars of Eternity) or to Brian Fargo (Wasteland,Tides of numenera,Bard's Tale) what's the most important feature in an RPG, they will answer:

Despite being very different games, Torment and Wasteland 2 share several unifying themes, the most significant of which is choice. "Player choice--or as we sometimes call it ‘reactivity’ - is everything," explains Fargo. "It’s what makes our narrative so different because, if you want a simple, linear story-telling device then you’d just read a book. It’s your ability to change the story, to say “I wonder what would happen if I did that;” which makes our games so intriguing and exciting. We want players to be excited about going back and replaying our games, thinking “Wow, I wonder what would have happened if I’d done this thing instead of that”. For all games that offer choice, I’ve always found that the journey - what you do along the way - is really the greatest reward.

I guess if you need to boil it all down… I’m not to say “more than other game developers,” but I don’t think that’s the case. Maybe we talk about it a little bit more. But it’s the choice aspect of RPGs. RPGs are so much about choice and the ramifications of those choices. This is something that Chris Avellone hit upon that really is a tenet of what we do now. In Alpha Protocol, he really pushed this idea forward that there is no [good or evil]. Morally there may be a good or a bad choice, but there is no bad choice for the player. Even if it’s “evil,” you’re rewarded.

CDPR is the publisher. I think you're getting this mixed up with the fact that the distributors contribute marketing budget. There's no reason for CDPR to be unhappy that it's being spent, as it should increase sales which benefits both CDPR and their distributors.

Oh yeah, i totally mixed that up. You may be right in the end every one wins. I was just thinking that the budget for marketing was unusually high and therfore perhaps not entirely CDPR's choice, (as in, there might have been pressure from other parties to get a big marketing push for the game).

Please make this happen post release
View attachment 12073

So the PhotoMode (Pause game + Play with camera + Filters) option is under consideration then
It will be great to capture our favourite moments in the game through screenshots or more like Wallpapers.
Huge Beautiful World + Detailed characters + Photomode = More Awesomenessss
Thank you Reds !

Attachments

• Capturddde.JPG
    Capturddde.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 59
Storically speaking, it's not.
Planescape Torment has a shitty combat system, but it doesn't matter, because it's all about dialogues tree, quest design and choice&consequences.
If you ask to Urqhuart (Fallout,Planescape,Kotor,Mask of the Betrayer,Pillars of Eternity) or to Brian Fargo (Wasteland,Tides of numenera,Bard's Tale) what's the most important feature in an RPG, they will answer:

I don't care what any of their answers are. I dont need someone else to tell me whats important to me. Combat is something you engage with for very large portions of these games, so it is important to me that it is as good as anything else.

Please make this happen post release

So the PhotoMode (Pause game + Play with camera + Filters) option is under consideration then
It will be great to capture our favourite moments in the game through screenshots or more like Wallpapers.
Huge Beautiful World + Detailed characters + Photomode = More Awesomenessss
Thank you Reds !
Yes i too bring this up in a month ago in wishlist topic and someone in interview asked if there will be a photo mode too and Damien said just "No" and i was dissapointed a little. But it seems more people want this future and keep asking so they might've changed their mind, i hope :) Photo mode would be awesome, they can even just bring it with an update like Shadow of Mordor if it wouldn't catch up with the release.

Because the audience they're addressing isn't people who played the first two games and have already decided to play the third, it's people who DIDN'T play the first two. If CDPR want to make money from this, and continue to make good games, they need to sell more copies of TW3 than TW2. Which means a significant number of people who didn't play the first two, and may not want to. So yes, they needed to make sure it's possible to jump right in, and they need to keep emphasising the fact.

I know that this is question of that people who did not playe the first 2 games. But about 3 year, in almost every interview, every journalist asked this question. This is really good question. But after million time when i see this question i just did not read that article. I know this is not your fault. So just do not protect that journalists when they asking this question again and again. For me this is already stupid question. İ dont beleave there is any people who dont know the answer of this question.

---------- Updated at 06:31 PM ----------

Yes i too bring this up in a month ago in wishlist topic and someone in interview asked if there will be a photo mode too and Damien said just "No" and i was dissapointed a little. But it seems more people want this future and keep asking so they might've changed their mind, i hope :) Photo mode would be awesome, they can even just bring it with an update like Shadow of Mordor if it wouldn't catch up with the release.

Of course. Even in Shadow of mordor was this mod. But that world is not even close to Witcher's world in beauty. So this game just need PHOTO MOD.

I know that this is question of that people who did not playe the first 2 games. But about 3 year, in almost every interview, every journalist asked this question. This is really good question. But after million time when i see this question i just did not read that article. I know this is not your fault. So just do not protect that journalists when they asking this question again and again. For me this is already stupid question. İ dont beleave there is any people who dont know the answer of this question.

You have to consider that the vast majority of potential buyers arent reading every interview. Nor do any of these sites assume that their audience is reading other sites for info. It sucks for people like us but the truth is that a lot of those interviews are really not for people like us. p

I approached this curiously because I also felt that the hype is getting overboard, but I ended the read bored and disappointed, with the impression that Adam Carr just wants to play the unfazed role. But he doesn't really give any convincing reasons.

He starts by mentioning TW1's bugs. This is irrelevant. First, this was the company's debut game. Second, this is not TW3. Third, if you want to dig in so far into history, then it applies to the good aspects as well as bad - you mention that the game was buggy, and in the same breath say that "its popularity warranted a full overhaul...". Doesn't it stand to reason that CDPR, the company who has overhauled the game, remembers the bugs? Furthermore, TW3 was delayed twice, and according to previews it is hardly riddled with bugs. Do some research if you want to drive a point home, especially when the point is so nonsensical.

Then he mentions TW1's combat. Again, irrelevant to the hype around TW3. Later in the article Adam Carr himself writes that the combat has been completely changed in the second game, so why should the third suffer from it? Mentioning this serves no purpose other than fattening up the article. And the combat hasn't been the selling point anyway.

Then he writes:

I am not sure what he means by 'restricted' here. As in, where you can physically go? If that is the case, then:
1) Not every game is meant to be open-world, and not every game needs to be judged by that standard.
2) TW3 is open-world, and a big one at that. Again, do some research. I mean, this thing is like the basic of the basic, no? They've been waving that flag since the beginning of the game's advertisement.

Controls - again, irrelevant to TW3.

Standard run of the mill-- etc. I can argue against this, but I don't think it matters. This is mostly subjective preference. I don't see how this is the case.

Onward to TW2.

You have to be really high to say something like.

Make up your mind. You say earlier that the combat was "terrible", and now you say that they changed it (completely, I should add). So for starters, we already aren't facing the exact same flaws. Furthermore, I'd say combat is a pretty big aspect of a game, so if that is improved it's a major thumbs up for the game. It being easy is debatable - by many accounts throughout the web, it can be challenging in the hardest difficulty. Not sure what "mind numbing" means here.

Plot (or does he mean story? I'm not sure) - again, a point that you can argue. Thing is, as the person who's trying to get a point across to readers, you have the burden of proof (or, well, persuasion and explanation). What is cut and dry about it? What does it mean? I personally find it a very interesting story. The protagonist is a tool in the hands of bigger characters, which is rare for games (and outside games), you find out surprising things about the antagonist (who isn't just a lord of evil or a one-dimensional bandit), his unexpected relationship with the protagonist, the story reacts to your decisions like no other game, and more.

"World was still restrictive and generic"
1) Again, not every game is meant to be, er, unrestrictive (if this refers to world size and navigation, as I understand).
2) TW2 had quite generous hub areas. I'm not sure what restrictive means here.
3) Aaand not sure what generic means here, either.

Clunky,
How? I didn't feel it.

Because you can read articles, read previews and watch gameplay footage that shows you how this game is different from those other two?

I feel you are in no position to tell others what they find good about their games. Also, I believe many players of TW3 will be newcomers to the series. Their hype is based on TW3 alone. You're trying to diffuse their excitement without saying one single thing about TW3 itself.

Who are these people who are focusing too much on graphics and combat? In all the previews I read, these aspects have been given attention - just like any other aspect of a game.

Agreed. Not exclusively, but agreed.

Again, plot or story? TW3's plot is simple - go find a girl who is hunted. How the story will develop is yet to be seen. And you haven't explained how the developments of the story in TW1 and TW2 are bland.

How? Why? I do not know many fantasy settings that have Eastern European folkore, humor, irony, racism, brutal wars and complicated politics all in one. That's just off the top of my head. Hell, just the fact that it's Eastern European folklore in flavor makes it the opposite of generic, as there aren't many games of the sort. I can't think of one honestly.

Yep.

Will you bother explaining even one of your points?

And again I feel the terms are being confused here. Are we talking about the concept, or the personality, motivation and history of the character? It doesn't really matter, because both cases aren't explained. But if we just stick to the concept - we're talking about a person whose profession is monster killing, but it's not a glorious and romantic career as most fantasy settings would have you believe. There is no glamour in his life. He's met with suspicion by the very people he's supposed to help, torn about his racial identity and constantly used, or tried to be used, by bigger players in the world. And then there's the dilemmas about what is actually a monster. I am not sure what is dull about this, and what, in contrast, is a not-dull character concept.

Aye.

I might have. If you would have been kind enough to explain anything, instead of just writing down headlines to be controversial.

Funny thing is I also feel that the hype might be a bit too much. Just not for any of these reasons.

I AM OVERHYPED with your posts and the passion you give them! Lucky of us, you've write these trues here, for us. We could never compete against the deluge of aftershocks that his review has provoked in his site.

OK, I'll be serious.

It's worth remembering that many people are only vaguely interested in TW3 or else have busy lives and don't read a bunch of articles about gaming, instead watching a trailer or two and starting to get excited a couple weeks before something actually comes out. (My girlfriend considers it "forever" until a game comes out if it isn't a week away.) There are probably a thousand or so active members on this forum, and TW3 is very likely looking at selling Millions of copies.

So for every one of us who tracks all of the info, there are literally thousands of people who do not and will still be buying the game. It's something to keep in mind before commiting the fallacy of assuming your personal habits/desires apply to even the smallest percentage of people who will be playing the game. ( https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal ) (Btw, I'm calling it, I think TW3 will outsell Skyrim).

And speaking of the anecdotal fallacy.

A game is a sum of it's parts. These include, but are not limited to: Graphics, Story, Combat and Non-Combat Gameplay Mechanics, Setting, Characters/Growth, Reward Loop, and more.

Each area contributes to the overall quality of a game. Each area in it's own right is important. In many games, one area is considerably better than the others, outshining them to a degree that many people forget about less over-performing (and often under-performing) sections. (See: Planescape Torment)

To say that because you like one aspect so much that every other aspect of the game is irrelevant or not as important is hugely conceited. It only means that it's not as important to you. And even then you are likely lying to yourself.

For example: If the story is the only thing you care about and the rest can go burn, then you can just go read a book instead, or play some text adventures (or watch a movie, listen to an audiobook, or go to a play). But you want to play this game. That's because you want to /interact/ with this world. That's the point of something being a game. Player Interaction. And for player interaction to feel good, then things like movement, combat, dialogue trees, graphics are needed to create the suspension of disbelief that you are actually in the world of the Witcher, playing as Geralt of Rivia, and killing (for example) a dragon.

Without these things, none of that could come together. And the more subpar any of those areas are, the more the atmosphere and the suspension of disbelief suffers for it. It may not suffer enough to make it a bad game for some people (or many people), and it may not suffer enough to fully ruin that suspension of disbelief, but every single aspect contributes to experience as a whole, and saying that any aspect is simply unimportant is a very limited and naive position to take.

Warning: rising unstable hyperbolic anticipation levels detected. Administer calming agents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom