Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+

Nice that you threw the cloud god bit in there, lol. You asked great questions. Sounds like they originally had envisioned something for the sky that we might see in games a few years down the road, but for now the hardware can't swing it. I'm glad to see he hasn't given up on volumetric fog. His answer to the armor bit was a little vague. He said it would affect combat but didn't seem to confirm if they'd affect his speed. The file saves answer may be disappointing for some but it's what I had expected. Overall, great interview. Thanks again.

Nice that you threw the cloud god bit in there, lol. You asked great questions. Sounds like they originally had envisioned something for the sky that we might see in games a few years down the road, but for now the hardware can't swing it. I'm glad to see he hasn't given up on volumetric fog. His answer to the armor bit was a little vague. He said it would affect combat but didn't seem to confirm if they'd affect his speed. The file saves answer may be disappointing for some but it's what I had expected. Overall, great interview. Thanks again.

You are welcome! Yeah, it's a pitty todays hardware can't stand with the possibilities we have today, but who nows what we might get in the near future

Given how much of a difference Skyrim had with mods, i think the whole graphics talk is bit of a moot point. A lot of things could be ported from those mods.

In other words, Skyrim is kind of like a multi- year long trial run for this, in a way.

Last edited:
It's a shame that volumetric fog won't be included in vanilla game.It looked great in ACBF.

It's a shame that volumetric fog won't be included in vanilla game.It looked great in ACBF.

I think the biggest problem is the huge size of the game. As Jose said, they had to make several new things to make the game and make it playable. maybe we can get a patch or something in the future

But I saw this kind of thing in the 15 first min of gameplay! Like dust cloud with sun going through it just before he gets killed by ghouls or something. It s not going to be in the final version ??

But I saw this kind of thing in the 15 first min of gameplay! Like dust cloud with sun going through it just before he gets killed by ghouls or something. It s not going to be in the final version ??

What you saw wasn't volumetric fog. You can get similar-but-not-quite-as-good effects with much cheaper methods. I think I remember someone saying it was forward-rendered soft particles in the earlier versions?

The problem with volumetrics is that it uses high resources. Low-level volumetrics like fog that need to interact with other objects in the scene uses even more. Given the fact that there are alternatives, I suspect that they didn't want to give up something else just to have this.

ho okay thanks ! It was brillant so I got scared a bit XD Too bad for volumetrics fog but it is already brièliant as it is so I will survive that :)

Vlw maluco!!! hahaha @guilhermecn

It's great that he said he still wants to add a lot of stuff into the game later on. It will be mind blowing may 19th and maybe in a few months we still might get new awesome effects too.

Good Job and it's funny how all portuguese say "um bucadinhu" hehehe Jose is a great guy and so is CDPR(lol) [I mean CDPR is an awesome company], I wish I could have a glympse of what future holds!

:D

Last edited:
Vlw maluco!!! hahaha @guilhermecn

It's great that he said he still wants to add a lot of stuff into the game later on. It will be mind blowing may 19th and maybe in a few months we still might get new awesome effects too.

Good Job and it's funny how all portuguese say "um bucadinhu" hehehe Jose is a great guy and so is CDPR, I wish I could have a glympse of what future holds!

:D

Thanks mate! hahaha

That's what's nice about CD RED and The Witcher 3. We won't be abandoned. Jose is a very nice fella :D

Now that I'm back from band camp (banned camp, haha..)

I've been playing Dark Souls + Dragon Age multiplayer beta for the last few days. Honestly, the graphics weren't that great on either of those, but I have to admit that gameplay > graphics anyday. It has been a while since I had that much fun playing a video game, trying to conquer the challenges rather than looking at beautiful walls. I now much more enjoy when the gameplay design is well done rather than having pretty graphics. If the combat system of TW3 can rival that of DS/DA:MP (beta), if the enemies can be fought with a variety of interesting and refreshing playstyles, if the game has to make you study the skills system to discover the synergy between different abilities, if different abilities can trigger unexpected combos (e.g. freeze an enemy, shatter it), if the game leaves you shaking after a good fight, etc. If TW3 has any of those elements, then I have no right to complain about graphics.

edit: And yet, we haven't seen any of that ^^. They shouldn't let clumsy journalists play their game. so far I can't say I'm impressed with the PR/marketing, and especially with how little communication there has been between CDPR and their fans on important issues. I can't say I have too much faith in CDPR as for now.

Also, while I contributed a lot to the downgrade debate, I have to add that it's useless and a waste of time. We don't have enough data to get a definite perspective of whether the downgrade really occurred or not, and that won't change until they release footage with Ultra settings.

Anyways, there are so many red flags in my book with how CDPR has been handling this Ultra/downgrade mess, how they broke their own laws with the release of a paid DLC bundle on steam. Definitely won't buy the game until they clear up those issues. There's a limit of how much BS a customer can handle, and when all I hear are PR statements, "we won't show ultra settings until release because we want to surprise the player", then about the downgrade: "some areas will look better, some will look worse", just pure PR BS

Last edited:
@wavebend They've gone on record before in interviews saying they drew inspiration from many action-games when designing the combat system --Arkham Asylum and Dark Souls, to name a few-- while at the same time trying to design something unique to The Witcher. You're right that they haven't shown any of it off yet. But when you stop and think about, they've really shown barely any of the game off at all. The newest gameplay trailer is really the first time we've seen them talk about gameplay features outside of interviews. There was a that blurb in the latest gameplay demo where they say
We put a lot of effort into seamlessly blending gameplay with the surrounding environment. Monster behavior and tactics change depending on the time of day or terrain. It's these shifting circumstances that will often determine whether you are hunter or prey.
Personally, this is something I hope we see happen in the game a lot (as in practically every battle.) Hopefully they will put up a gameplay video focusing specifically on combat sometime before release.

When I take that quote into account with the top tier writing and the fact that virtually every quest in the game will have an element of choice. I think we will have one heck of an RPG on our hands.

Last edited:
Anyways, there are so many red flags in my book with how CDPR has been handling this Ultra/downgrade mess, how they broke their own laws with the release of a paid DLC bundle on steam. Definitely won't buy the game until they clear up those issues. There's a limit of how much BS a customer can handle, and when all I hear are PR statements, "we won't show ultra settings until release because we want to surprise the player", then about the downgrade: "some areas will look better, some will look worse", just pure PR BS

Maybe if you have followed their statements you would know their stance on small DLC (free) and huge content updates/expansions (paid). They always said the same thing and did not break anything. You want them to stop with spreading BS, maybe you should do the same.

If a pre-order bundle which includes the main game with DLCs to be released in 2016 when the game isn't even out yet doesn't look like a red flag to you, then I don't know what would. I've followed their statements/intents about paid DLC, and while I know what their stance is (again, just PR talk), there is a difference between intentions and what they're actually *doing*.

Top Bottom