Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
A lot of people. But hey the word Skyrim is a sin here you guys will talk bad about it no matter what. It's funny Dragon Age fans, Witcher fans and Elder Scroll fans bash at each other i might be as well the one of the few people who likes all those games. But anyways there's just one thing i can say.
CDPR loves Skyrim, they always talk about it so that's something for you.
No, not a sin...
But calling that overhyped, generic and boring piece of crap a "king of rpg's" is too much :D

No, not a sin...
But calling that overhyped, generic and boring piece of crap a "king of rpg's" is too much :D

A) Let's avoid any more RPG A vs RPG B stuff in the Witcher 3 News thread, please.

B) Hell. I have no B. Ahhhh...3 weeks and 1 day left! That's kind of news!

Edit Edit - I .....reaally..have to update my sig timer. 20 days and 22 hours! Even BETTER.

Last edited:
I Went back and replayed skyrim a few months ago and it's amazing how badly it has aged :/ and i played with a ton of mods to.

Well regardless it's an important game that brought much needed attention to the RPG genre.

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

Game is shaping up really nicely and I'm so ready. I could run through and nitpick various things I found less than stellar, but at the end of the day the sum of its parts seems highly likely to trump those various little flaws.

The story is really the only aspect of the game that remains mostly hidden, and I hope they've pulled off something truly incredible.

Here's a playlist of most of the current preview gameplay videos (missing Angry Joe's one), in case anyone wanted: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS1xPOQ4DV9hmEeaoGjKJa6qmlpafiZDu.

The first, and third videos are the highest visual quality. I don't know the youtuber from the third one on the list, but it has really good video quality, but the guy won't shut up talking lol (how does he breath?). It's good for avoiding spoilers, though I guess.

Last edited:
No, not a sin...
Your opinion. And your reaction doesn't surprise me. Plus it's a 4 year old game that did extremity well for any problems or old features it has.

Finished watching them. Liked Gopher's, Angry Joe's and PietSmite's (if you can ignore his talk).
Overall everything looks amazing, only the stuttering in some of the vids was annoying, but it was a older build so hopefully it's fixed.
Luckily they weren't any main quest spoilers. What I noticed:
Barely anybody uses the sidestep dodge. It's Witcher 2 roll spamming all over again. Obviously I haven't played the game but it's worrisome that everyone who played the game in those vids seems to prefer the rolling. The downside seems to be not high enough (stop of vigor regeneration)
Waiting now for more vids (50%+ of the youtubers haven't posted their gameplay yet)

I noticed this too. I've only watched a few but Gopher seems to be the only one that is using it. I don't even think its the downside thats the issue since rolling 30 feet away after an enemy takes one swing at you just makes no sense. They are either still in TW2 mode or they aren't aware the sidestep exists.

I noticed this too. I've only watched a few but Gopher seems to be the only one that is using it. I don't even think its the downside thats the issue since rolling 30 feet away after an enemy takes one swing at you just makes no sense. They are either still in TW2 mode or they aren't aware the sidestep exists.

Ecept for Gopher many people havn't played The Witcher in quite a while. So what they use is what they know from other 3rd Person Action RPG's. And that is rolling. I don't think many of them know about sidesteps.

Ecept for Gopher many people havn't played The Witcher in quite a while. So what they use is what they know from other 3rd Person Action RPG's. And that is rolling. I don't think many of them know about sidesteps.

Or that they're automatically playing it like it was TW2?

One thing I think the game lacks or will eventually show to be lacking is a smooth way to rapidly move while in combat, covering distance that is, outside of rolling.

I don't know exactly how it works, but from what I can tell, the normal combat walking animation is a bit too slow imo, dodges work more like jumps rather than quick feet repositioning so when you finish a dodge you get "locked in place" for a short time, which breaks constant movement and approaching where you want to go.

A big part of the roll spamming is how people seem to use it as a the default way to go quickly somewhere, and Im not sure we can blame them too much here. i'd really like to see how fast or fluid is to go from combat strafing to sprinting towards another enemy or something like that.

One thing I think the game lacks or will eventually show to be lacking is a smooth way to rapidly move while in combat, covering distance that is, outside of rolling.

You can still run. Although from the moments we saw it in previous demos, it wasn't exactly smooth, but I don't think there's really a solution.

Even in some of the best ARPG's, like Dark Souls & Dragon's Dogma, you end up in the same exact scenario where your combat walk is slow, and then you have to break out of focus and run to move really swiftly. It's a little clunky, but it works, and we'll be able to do the same thing in TW3. It just seems that not many of these youtuber's seemed to bother doing that, they generally just opted to keep rolling.

You can still run. Although from the moments we saw it in previous demos, it wasn't exactly smooth, but I don't think there's really a solution.

Even in some of the best ARPG's, like Dark Souls & Dragon's Dogma, you end up in the same exact scenario where your combat walk is slow, and then you have to break out of focus and run to move really swiftly. It's a little clunky, but it works, and we'll be able to do the same thing in TW3. It just seems that not many of these youtuber's seemed to bother doing that, they generally just opted to keep rolling.

In Dark Souls you can walk an run while being locked on.

In Dark Souls you can walk an run while being locked on.

Yea I just remembered that soon after posting. Still, it wasn't exactly smooth, I still found it fairly clunky switching between Walk/Run and your directional movement while running was pretty limited when locked on.

I'm still not sure if TW3 has a lock-on feature like W2 did, I haven't seen it in any of the videos, so I'm lead to believe it's gone, but that's the kind of feature that comes in pretty handy for those using a Gamepad so I would have thought they'd still implement that. If they do have a lock-on still in the game, then they might feature something similar where you can break into a run and still be locked on.

Anyway, running in combat is definitely still there, whether or not it feels good is another matter, but in my view it's a problem that remains unsolved by any game, at least these games that aim for a more weighty/grounded combat system.

You guys notice how Geralts animations change when he's in chest high or waist high water, that, and they change when he's walking up steep terrain.
That's so cool, I wonder if he walks in deep snow all realistic like that at some point in the game too?

Yeah but the difference is, at least with dark souls, that TW3's enemies are MUCH faster and more agile, and they come in numbers often, which dramatically ups difficulty. By comparison, Geralt doesnt become much faster than the DS protagonist, unless you roll a lot or run like you said, but thats why I want to see just how convenient running is compared to rolling. If the opposition is better, the character also has to be better, and geralt is a mutant very agile with light armors and bla bla bla lore stuff :p

Ideally I think running or "combat sprinting" should letch you catch enemies faster than any other method and also give you a bonus to use momentum attacks or something similar, something to make it useful, also rolling might have to be nerfed some way, by keeping it the fastest way to get out of big attacks but being a slow move to recover from or something.

I know youtubers might come from TW2 and just be used to roll their way through life, but if the game actually is prepared to not encourage roll spamming, they should be getting punished very clearly and obviously as they try to spam it. We'll have to see how it turns out.

I'm still not sure if TW3 has a lock-on feature like W2 did, I haven't seen it in any of the videos, so I'm lead to believe it's gone, but that's the kind of feature that comes in pretty handy for those using a Gamepad so I would have thought they'd still implement that. If they do have a lock-on still in the game, then they might feature something similar where you can break into a run and still be locked on.

I think you couls see it in Angry Joes video, but I have to check that.

/EDIT:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJpWBMH9EtQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=568

You can atleast see that geralts automaticly turns into the direction of the enemy. But the camera does not lock on.

That's so cool, I wonder if he walks in deep snow all realistic like that at some point in the game too?

Perhaps, although we haven't really seen "deep snow" since that one brief moment in the Sword of Destiny Trailer. So we'll have to wait and see.

Geralt's movement being affected by terrain is nice, and it's good to see them implement that since TW2 was missing that kind of feature, and even back at E3 2014 it seemed to be missing that.
However it is something that has been a pretty standard thing in games using IK since very early last-generation, so not to sound like a negative nancy but it is honestly not all that special, more-so just an expected feature of AAA games.

I guess the only thing that is disappointing to me is that ultra doesn't get the vegetation up to older quality. I mean, it just isn't nearly as dense. From what I have seen at least.

Everything else, the draw distance and stuff looks wonderful

Top Bottom