Witcher 3 on consoles - target 60fps or 30? 1080p or 720p ?

+
cmdrflashheart said:
The majority of gamers. It's a depressing trend, but it exists.

If that is their main concern then they're not in for the game, but for the flash.

Volsung said:
You are being absolutely ridiculous. The fact that TW3 will be released on consoles TOO doesn't mean that they won't make a proper PC version. Did you even play The Witcher 2? It is available on the XBox 360 and still it is one of the better looking games on PC. Few current PC's can handle TW2 with maximum detail (including Übersampling), especially at the resolutions you suggest.

And finally, WHO CARES ABOUT GRAPHICS? What we want is an excellent game.

I think you are the one not making sense here.

First, the EE of the Witcher 2 was released AFTER the fact so it never influenced the PC development. I don't care if they are doing that, but going multiplatform at the same time is a huge mistake.

Take a whole team, making a single game on a single platform. That equal more resources for that game. Now split your team in 3 to make the same game on 3 different platforms. Are you daring telling me this will not impact your resources? The final quality of the game? Because we all know that Crytek Crisis series didn't get influenced by consoles.

Mass Effect, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Bioshock... all have the console stigma.

CDP was one of the last true PC dev... and now I don't know.

Volsung said:
The majority of gamers. It's a depressing trend, but it exists.

It's not only a matter of graphics, it's a matter of bugs and patches to. The general quality of the final product. What is sure is CDP will not have the same amount of people working on the PC version of the third game.

Volsung said:
Seriously I am a hardcore PC gamer, but people like Redgarl give us a bad rep. Just embarassing.

This is about consoles. Obviously on PC you can go as far as your budget allows. God I really hate having to restate the obvious..
Enjoy your Diablo 3. Are we the ones actually who only bought 500K copies of the Witcher 2 on xbox?

Say whatever you want, but I am right.

Can we drop the personal attacks please?
@Redgarl - please also avoid multiple posts.
@paul_cz - you may want to change the thread title, if you only intended this to be about consoles, and not PC.

I don't ever want to see any game made for PC to be dubbed down or have a diminished quality of any sort as that would defeat the whole point and purpose of PC gaming. If you can't afford a rig that can run it at full specs or the way you want, then invest in a console.

Sounds cold I know, but the idea of dubbing down PC games is what has lead to Porting crappy games over to PC instead of designing games around PC abilities and dubbing them down to consoles. Plus, the developers have gotten lazy and it limits the artistry/CGI that goes into the game.

Redgarl said:
Take a whole team, making a single game on a single platform. That equal more resources for that game. Now split your team in 3 to make the same game on 3 different platforms. Are you daring telling me this will not impact your resources? The final quality of the game? Because we all know that Crytek Crisis series didn't get influenced by consoles.

Mass Effect, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Bioshock... all have the console stigma.

CDP was one of the last true PC dev... and now I don't know.
Are you seriously suggesting that a development team must be split in three groups to make a game for three platforms?

Having a game on multiple platforms is always a good thing as long as one of the versions (most of the time, PC) doesn't suffer because of it. With the PS4 and Xbox 720 consoles running standard PC hardware with some specific architectural improvements in, for example, memory, the games won't require any drastic differences in the source code for each platform. Getting a game that runs on Windows to run on the next gen consoles won't be a problem for the developers, in contrast to how it was in the case of the PS3. The development of a game for these consoles will be down to optimizing the game for the specific hardware in order to best utilize its capabilities and make use of the specific architecture to make them perform better than a PC with the same hardware.

paulcz said:
This is about consoles. Obviously on PC you can go as far as your budget allows. God I really hate having to restate the obvious..

Then why exactly is your first post about what specs the PC version will target huh? You mention PC there along with Xbox and PS.

paulcz said:
If that is their main concern then they're not in for the game, but for the flash.

Well excuse me for giving a damn about the presentation of a game from voice acting to animation, to graphical quality all of these add one important crucial aspect to a game: Immersion.

You cannot argue against, you cannot say graphics are worthless trash because they are not.

Obviously I want a good story and good gameplay as well but for fuck sake stop spitting on those who want good graphics besides that!

Are you talking here of Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3 as well? Because those games are some of the best looking games out there.

As for Crysis 2, they made up for that with the DX11 patch and HD textures and now Crysis 3 came out and well...it has demolished everything out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCNdD2MNe4

Games with console versions aren't inherently worse games then PC exclusive ones. The reason we have a lot of shitty ports is because of developer laziness. However they have stopped being lazy recently for whatever reason and they will continue giving us better ports in the future, especially with consoles being similar to PCs in the next gen.

dragonbird said:
@paul_cz - you may want to change the thread title, if you only intended this to be about consoles, and not PC.

I included the PC in there because whatever CDP targets for consoles might have some impact on the PC version as well.
However I can edit it, if you tell me how. I have no idea :D/>/> I can edit my post and the poll, but I do not see option for thread title.

dragonbird said:
Then why exactly is your first post about what specs the PC version will target huh? You mention PC there along with Xbox and PS.
As I said above, whatever CDP targets for consoles might have influence on PC version as well.

By the way, I am glad most people select 1080p/60fps option.
I wish CDP would target that, but we will see.

I wouldn't call that laziness. It's a general attitude from TC shows to books. They all rather to aim to fast and large popularity, which most of times means ignoring the substance (good, strong story and interesting NPCs). Plus there's a general lack of ideas imo. Unfortunately, this is also creating a premise for current and future generation of writers, directors and so on, unless some go back to the origin and enlarge their culture.

And don't forget that the publishers play a high and mighty role in this.

CostinMoroianu said:
Games with console versions aren't inherently worse games then PC exclusive ones. The reason we have a lot of shitty ports is because of developer laziness. However they have stopped being lazy recently for whatever reason and they will continue giving us better ports in the future, especially with consoles being similar to PCs in the next gen.

I wouldn't be as positive about that. Also it's not that im hating on consoles, but i have doubts about witcher 3 quality in general. Maybe i have seen too many squandered franchises. But you know, indie polish dev suddenly has resources to develop AAA+ game with open world bigger than skyrim on all platforms available while keeping their artistic consistency with complex storytelling and make perfect game. I heard bullshit about perfect games too many times. Actually i have doubts about AAA gaming market in general. I think that new consoles won't change much for us. Only hope in growing crowd-funding and solid indie devs out there. Still waiting for wasteland 2, project eternity and new torment.

CDPR was never an indie dev. W2 was certainly an AAA game in terms of costs, as was W1

But that's not to say I don't have doubts about W3, but they don't come from the fact that they are developing for consoles.

paulcz said:
I included the PC in there because whatever CDP targets for consoles might have some impact on the PC version as well.
However I can edit it, if you tell me how. I have no idea :D/>/>/> I can edit my post and the poll, but I do not see option for thread title.

Title edited :)

CostinMoroianu said:
Well excuse me for giving a damn about the presentation of a game from voice acting to animation, to graphical quality all of these add one important crucial aspect to a game: Immersion.

You cannot argue against, you cannot say graphics are worthless trash because they are not.

Obviously I want a good story and good gameplay as well but for fuck sake stop spitting on those who want good graphics besides that!

I love you Costin

Volsung said:
Let's be honest. Consoles are not built for power, they're built for convenience.

A coworker was talking about the supposed specs of the PS4 saying it would destroy gaming PC's. I took a look at them and sighed. Those specs look like a modern medium-range PC. The difference is all PS4's and X720's will share the exact same architecture and configuration and developers can optimize their games for that, so they can take the system to the limit. But I believe the average PC gamer already has a machine with similar or better performance.

The consoles without the slightest doubt will destroy PCs which are built from similar hardware, due to "close to metal" programming.
And judging from the Steam hardware survey, the average PC has specs well below an 8 core processor and a Radeon 7850/7870. So the mass of PCs out there will definitely be inferior to the PS4. (And no, I'm no Sony-fanboy - In fact I haven't owned a console since the SNES and don't intend to change that ;) )

CostinMoroianu said:
You do realize you could play TW2 on 60 FPS with the highest graphical settings besides ubersampling right? I personally can.

So I say, none of these options. Give me a fifth one where I can have everything 1080p, 60 FPS and awesome polygons, effects and so on provided I have a strong enough rig and if you don't you can still achieve 60 FPS by lowering effects and such.

PCs by their nature should account for ALL these options anyway.

As for the PS4. Eh dunno.

i m totally agree with u...

M4xw0lf said:
The consoles without the slightest doubt will destroy PCs which are built from similar hardware, due to "close to metal" programming.
And judging from the Steam hardware survey, the average PC has specs well below an 8 core processor and a Radeon 7850/7870. So the mass of PCs out there will definitely be inferior to the PS4. (And no, I'm no Sony-fanboy - In fact I haven't owned a console since the SNES and don't intend to change that ;)/> )

Agreed to the 78xx; only pros and gamers with a large investment in hardware will have better.

As to an "8-core" Brazos, which is what the APU in that box is, most current desktops already have a much better processor. 8 cores is meaningless unless you have written software that actually uses them, and the Brazos design is an ultra-low-power, low-performance one. Previous benchmarks against Brazos-series APUs have placed them in the low end of the netbook range.

Most of those cores will go begging for something to do, and anything compute-bound will back up on the one or two cores that are actually used.

It's an 8-core Jaguar, actually - the successor of Brazos/Bobcat, but yes, not exactly high end. Plus there is a very recent example of putting AMDs integer-cores to good use (at long last...), which is Crysis 3. The first time ever AMDs FX processors are able to compete with Intel's Sandy/Ivy Bridge processors in a game. So with the right programming, the 8 Jaguar cores are surely able to pack a punch.
[media]http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2013/02/Crysis-3-Test-CPUs-VH-720p.png[/media]

Top Bottom