Witcher 3-Performance on mobile GPUs

+
50 - 70fps depending on area.(mostly 61/63) intel core i7-4800mq, amd radeon 8970m 2,70 ghz 4gb video card memory, 16gb ram win7, (bespoke laptop Scan computers) having to run at 1386 res because the writing is so small. At 1920 res raptr put everything at ultra, but i have most on high, textures on ultra, shadows on medium and i don't like motion blur. Took hairworks off to gain 10fps! And no noticable change on my 17inch laptop. It runs and looks utterly beautiful. No crashes so far, and Geralts hair is waving in the wind. Let's put it this way, armour looks real, I can see the threads in the weave. Unlike the plastic stuff in Dragon Age Inquisition. Also have just adjusted the key bindings for better play - Geralt kept dying without Strong Attack. It's an absolute delight to behold.

in mine hyperthreading cannot be disabled. on noons(40) my temps go till 85 ob cpu an 79 on gpu(considering gpu is maxed out not cpu , this is funny).

mate , clean you laptop 1nce a wee/2 weeks. also you might already know , but VENTILATION!!!absolutely shoulnot be placed on beds and used.

next time , try a paste in arctic silver 5 or something similar. does wonders
Yeah, i need to change the thermal paste again. I have a cooling pad but it's not doing wonders.

So with
i7 3630QM @ 2,4 Ghz
GT 740m 2GB vram
8GB RAM,
I'm getting around 19-20fps everything at Low settings 1280x768. If I go down to 1024x768 it goes up to 25-27fps but its not stable.
I noticed that my CPU usage barely passes 30% and the vram is barely used.

hmm, fps is rather low. did you update your driver or kept it the same ?
also, did you try out the tweaks on the forum ? (check this thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36088-A-compendium-of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-PC-version)
i was expecting you'd be somewhere @ 30-35 fps, especially considering that someone on youtube with a weaker configuration than yours, managed to get a stable 30 fps.

I updated the driver before the game released, then played it when it released and the perfromance was the same. Then I heard that there is some nvidia driver conspiracy, that the driver worsened the performance of all Kepler cards and i rolled it back. Now I'm with the GTAV driver (350.12) and the performance is the same. Strengely now I got some FPS boosts in GTAV (Didn't play it with the Witcher driver). I also tried the tweaks with little success.

I updated the driver before the game released, then played it when it released and the perfromance was the same. Then I heard that there is some nvidia driver conspiracy, that the driver worsened the performance of all Kepler cards and i rolled it back. Now I'm with the GTAV driver (350.12) and the performance is the same. Strengely now I got some FPS boosts in GTAV (Didn't play it with the Witcher driver). I also tried the tweaks with little success.
i see. well keep on trying until you succeed ^^ (fingers crossed)
this guy did it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnIO_h-ONpo) and i see no reason why you wouldn't get a performance as good as his if not better.

did SLI perform & scaling in this game good?

i have SLI notebook but not update the driver yet ,since nvidia forum going crazy with driver gimped 600-700 cards

i see. well keep on trying until you succeed ^^ (fingers crossed)
this guy did it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnIO_h-ONpo) and i see no reason why you wouldn't get a performance as good as his if not better.
It actually runs better for me, than in the video. Difference is, I can't see myself playing like this. I'd rather wait for a few patches and a new driver. Hell I'd even wait for Windows 10 to come out, just to play it with a least 30fps@720p.

It actually runs better for me, than in the video. Difference is, I can't see myself playing like this. I'd rather wait for a few patches and a new driver. Hell I'd even wait for Windows 10 to come out, just to play it with a least 30fps@720p.
that makes us two then ^^, and it's not just the performance that' i'm concerned about, but also having better KB/M support and get mods to be able to fully customize the game like for instance an alchemy rebalance system.
as for windows 10, i did see news concerning DX12 (http://wccftech.com/directx-12-draw-calls-330-3-year-gtx-670/), but i'm still very skeptical about it, especially after the failure win 8 was.

Getting 55-60 fps with GeForce Experience Auto Optimization feature for my hardware.

Can anybody please tell me why one of my graphics cards is working harder than the other one? Namely i think the one on the left hand side is working harder than the one on the right hand side. I checked the temperatures with speccy and the left one is almost always hotter than the right one, for about 5-10 deg Celcius. And the fan on the left one is always slightly louder and spitting out more heat.

My rig:

Alienware 18

i7-4910 MQ

GTX 880M SLI with a total of 6 GB vMemory

16 GB of RAM

Now, this is happening when I'm playing Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I am running GeForce Experience software for nVidia support. GeForce Experience has an auto optimize button for Witcher 3: Wild Hunt profile tailored for my hardware (According to GeForce Experience).

Now, while the latest driver update does say SLI is supported ( and actually the latest nVidia driver update within GeForce Experience also says Witcher 3 is fully supported as a profile) I am still NOT fully convinced the optimization is working as intended. Either because one of my gpu-s is not working as hard as it should or the witcher 3 profile on my alienware gets optimized only for one gtx880M rather than the SLI combination. I have checked the nVidia Control Panel as well, and SLI is enabled. "Maximize 3D Performance" option is ticked. "Auto-select" is ticked next to CPU and all that. And one of the options in nVidia control panel for GPU is pointing to this selection: gtx 880M(2) i am not sure if it means only 2nd gpu is selected or that both od them, however there is a green underline (if you know what i mean) for SLI graphical representation that shows as if both gpu- are actually underlined.

Please tell me if GeForce auto optimizes only for one GTX880M or for both of them in SLI Mode? The reason I grew suspicious is because when i go to my "My rig" tab in GeForce Experience software for nVidia, ot shows my GPU-s as follows:

GTX 880M

GTX 880M

And not GTX 880M SLI, which is why I suspect that GeForce Experience could be optimizing the witcher 3 profile only for one GPU as opposed to the SLI combination. Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance.

so i guess SLI not optimize yet, u should wait for new driver. latest driver get so many complain right now.

actually form the 970 /980/titanx vids i have seen , the scaling seemed pretty well . both had 99% usage

---------- Updated at 03:47 AM ----------

Getting 55-60 fps with GeForce Experience Auto Optimization feature for my hardware.

Can anybody please tell me why one of my graphics cards is working harder than the other one? Namely i think the one on the left hand side is working harder than the one on the right hand side. I checked the temperatures with speccy and the left one is almost always hotter than the right one, for about 5-10 deg Celcius. And the fan on the left one is always slightly louder and spitting out more heat.

My rig:

Alienware 18

i7-4910 MQ

GTX 880M SLI with a total of 6 GB vMemory

16 GB of RAM

Now, this is happening when I'm playing Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I am running GeForce Experience software for nVidia support. GeForce Experience has an auto optimize button for Witcher 3: Wild Hunt profile tailored for my hardware (According to GeForce Experience).

Now, while the latest driver update does say SLI is supported ( and actually the latest nVidia driver update within GeForce Experience also says Witcher 3 is fully supported as a profile) I am still NOT fully convinced the optimization is working as intended. Either because one of my gpu-s is not working as hard as it should or the witcher 3 profile on my alienware gets optimized only for one gtx880M rather than the SLI combination. I have checked the nVidia Control Panel as well, and SLI is enabled. "Maximize 3D Performance" option is ticked. "Auto-select" is ticked next to CPU and all that. And one of the options in nVidia control panel for GPU is pointing to this selection: gtx 880M(2) i am not sure if it means only 2nd gpu is selected or that both od them, however there is a green underline (if you know what i mean) for SLI graphical representation that shows as if both gpu- are actually underlined.

Please tell me if GeForce auto optimizes only for one GTX880M or for both of them in SLI Mode? The reason I grew suspicious is because when i go to my "My rig" tab in GeForce Experience software for nVidia, ot shows my GPU-s as follows:

GTX 880M

GTX 880M

And not GTX 880M SLI, which is why I suspect that GeForce Experience could be optimizing the witcher 3 profile only for one GPU as opposed to the SLI combination. Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance.

Manually activate the SLI profile

Monitor your GPU(s) usage using msi afterburner

Remove gforce experience and manually tweak it ( seriously, apart from shadowplay , it is useless and also it has unwanted services that decrease your performnace)
you should be able to do ultra well

---------- Updated at 03:50 AM ----------

Yeah, i need to change the thermal paste again. I have a cooling pad but it's not doing wonders.

genrally you need a really costly one to make a change. Also , mostly i change the paste in my cpu maybe once in a year or something.

FOr cooling , i just place the laptop infront of my AC, brings down the temp by almpst 30C (55 with AC and normally 85C - CPU temp)

So with
i7 3630QM @ 2,4 Ghz
GT 740m 2GB vram
8GB RAM,
I'm getting around 19-20fps everything at Low settings 1280x768. If I go down to 1024x768 it goes up to 25-27fps but its not stable.
I noticed that my CPU usage barely passes 30% and the vram is barely used.

Strange. My old weaker Radeon 7730M could get around 20-22 at same resolution and low preset. Buy maybe it was just because I was doing that testing only in tower area at game start.

Anyway, you should be able to safely increase textures to high or ultra without any performance loss.

---------- Updated at 07:58 AM ----------

Postprocess: default High preset (with SSOA)
Graphics: customized Ultra preset (with only big hitters turned off)
*disabled hairworks
*medium foliage view distance
*low shadows

One thing to point out regarding these custom settings. They essentially give same performance as medium preset.
At least in wildness where I did the testing.

so i guess SLI not optimize yet, u should wait for new driver. latest driver get so many complain right now.
But the latest GeForce Experience nVidia driver which I have installed, says it supports SLI and the Witcher 3 Profile. Is that not enough?

actually form the 970 /980/titanx vids i have seen , the scaling seemed pretty well . both had 99% usage

desktop & mobile GPU are different things.

But the latest GeForce Experience nVidia driver which I have installed, says it supports SLI and the Witcher 3 Profile. Is that not enough?

yes they support SLI but "latest" doesn't mean fully working as intended.

Last edited:
msi ge60 (a pretty old model)
i5-3210
8gb ram
gt650m (gddr5 model)
no overclocks
avg. fps ~22 on 1280x800, all low except modest postprocess features+medium textures / pretty enough graphics
I seriously thought about asking for a refund when I saw the sys. reqs., and while the game is currently not confortably playable, I'm pretty sure that with oncoming patchs, tweaks and whatnot I'll be getting solid 30fps. do not despair, lowspecs will triumph!

desktop & mobile GPU are different things.

yes they support SLI but "latest" doesn't mean fully working as intended.

hmmm , i thought that sli was optimized for both desktops and laptops.

Anyway , with maxwells out , they are integrating desktop chips as laptop gpus albit a bit modded.( 860m same as the 750ti for instance and i dunno about the processor but the 980m is 75% of the 980)

---------- Updated at 07:57 PM ----------

*whistles*

getting 30- 35 (sometimes 27 when wolves surround me) @ 1080p

PP - HBAO+(cant live without it)/no AA/Max sharpening/bloom on/ rest off
GFX- Grass medium/no hairworks/remaining high ( incl foliage)

normal fps in white orchard village is almost a constant 27

still ar 30+ dunno why it feels stuttery

will update FP tomorrow

Here's a test gameplay video from my rig.
Game runs at 1280x768. I managed to to tweak the user settings file, and now i get around 20fps. When i drop down to 1024x768, it's more playable, around 25-27fps.

Anyone else feeling the game being stuttery above 30 FPS? Also need AMD gpus and 9xx(lower end)/5xx/7xx/6xx series GPU benchies

Anyone?

Top Bottom