Witcher 3-Performance on mobile GPUs

+
@uthvag

my framerate at high settings is at 20-24 fps
so i changed most into medium to raise the fps and find that medium settings are the lowest setting i can accept without sacrificing the view of the beautiful countryside.(fps 27-30)

although i cant truly notice the difference in gameplay between medium and high. it feels the same to me. i must be easy to please. :D
someday though, i'd convince my husband to build me a pc that can "stand the test of time". I've only played pc games on laptop since forever.

---edit---

well, this topic actually made me try to find the best option for me. normally my husband does it...but today he said NO. reasoning that i have to learn on my own. :(

anyway, this the setting i'll be using all throughout, great to look at and a little bit smoother.

Graphics
Resolution: 1600x900/Full screen
Hairworks off
Shadow Quality/Water Quality: low (these arent too important to me, not spending too much time in water)
Terrain Quality/Grass Density/Foliage Visibility: Medium
Detail Level/Texture Detail: Ultra (ultimately, Geralt is the most important thing in this game, he needs the details. i can actually see the details of his chainmail, amazing!)
Num of Background Char: Ultrra (might change when I get to novigrad)

Post Processing
Sharpening and Light shaft ON.
The rest are OFF.

FPS is now at 30 more or less.

i recommend turining textures and details to high (no difference in quality). num of background characters to low (low is 75 ppl and ultra is 150)

Just confirming that I get 20-25 fps with the first low ini tweak at 1024-768 (GT555M). 30 fps was with the second one in 640x480 but since the mouse is not locked in custom resolutions it's unplayable because of it that's why I went back to 1024 and the first ini. The extra 5 average fps wasn't worth the resolution downgrade. Also, every Nvidia user should kill the streamer service of Gforce Expreience because it eats performance in EVERY game, unless you have a SHIELD to stream to it's 100000% pointless.

a friend just took the plunge with his laptop:

"Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, and my Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.4GHz"

he is reporting the game runs nice on medium settings, presumably at a pretty low resolution.

So hope that helps, if that's the kind of thing you were after?

he is reporting the game runs nice on medium settings, presumably at a pretty low resolution.

There is no freaking way TW3 is running nice on a HD 4600, regardless of the resolution.

There is no freaking way TW3 is running nice on a HD 4600, regardless of the resolution.
GT740M is working fine for this little black duck.

yeah dialed it back to medium: 1440x900 + 30fps. Shedloads better, still not perfect but a million percent better.
Spending that extra couple of hundred at scorptec was worth it.

Last edited:

i'm running it on a radeon 7750 which is below minimum spec and it goes pretty good. discreet desktop card is different situation but shows what could be possible. i trust him enough that he wouldn't make it up after our chat but who knows :p

vladgiurgiubv

MSI GT60 0ND
i7 3630QM
GTX 675mx 4GB overclocked +135Mhz(GPU) +500Mhz (Memory)
8GB Ram
on SSD
latest drivers etc. (tried older aswell: same results...I tried one from feb. 2014 and it runs exactly the same....I can´t figure out how or why?)

1600x900 everything on low:
30-35 fps outside village
24-28 fps inside village

1600x900 everything on medium (hairworks off etc):
30-33 fps outside village
23-26 fps inside village

huh??... details don´t impact performance
and really.... under 30 fps with this?

1920x1080 everything on low:
25-28 fps outside village
20-22 fps inside village

Verdict: NOT playable

any advice?
How come a gtx680m does MUCH better? (i know it is supposed to do better but come on...)
Very sad!

Last edited:
I hope someone can help me, becaus I`m going insane. I van`t seem to get my game above 20-25 fps, it doesn`t seem to matter what I do.
Can someone please tell me which of the following stats are my problem, and how I may solve it.

My laptop is a asus n750JK

Processor
Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz (Intel Core i7)
Graphics adapter
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M - 2048 MB, DDR3, 332.35
Memory
8192 MB
, PC3-12800 DDR3

Thank in advance, hope somebody can help me out here:)

I hope someone can help me, becaus I`m going insane. I van`t seem to get my game above 20-25 fps, it doesn`t seem to matter what I do.
Can someone please tell me which of the following stats are my problem, and how I may solve it.

My laptop is a asus n750JK

Processor
Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz (Intel Core i7)
Graphics adapter
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M - 2048 MB, DDR3, 332.35
Memory
8192 MB
, PC3-12800 DDR3

Thank in advance, hope somebody can help me out here:)

mate if your driver is really 332.35 update it...... long overdue

Also , searh in this thread , there was someone who got 30fps in medium or something similar

any advice?
How come a gtx680m does MUCH better? (i know it is supposed to do better but come on...)
Very sad!

Its possible your hitting thermal throttling. I was having an issue a while back with DA:I, the card was hitting upwards of 95C. So I disassembled the laptop and cleaned the innards, mainly the heat sink and fan. Also I put in new thermal paste to both CPU and GPU. Now I make sure the fan exhaust are is not blocked and I raised the laptop using a box.

vladgiurgiubv

Its possible your hitting thermal throttling. I was having an issue a while back with DA:I, the card was hitting upwards of 95C. So I disassembled the laptop and cleaned the innards, mainly the heat sink and fan. Also I put in new thermal paste to both CPU and GPU. Now I make sure the fan exhaust are is not blocked and I raised the laptop using a box.

that is another weird.... gpu is 99% but stays at 80C...(with turbo fan at maximum)...in DA:I gpu was 95% and temp was 87C
I don´t know why...but it doesn´t get hot enought??? huh???

EDIT: low fps even when gpu is at 50C ...when I start the game...so I´m pretty sure it´s not thermal throttling

Last edited:
that is another weird.... gpu is 99% but stays at 80C...(with turbo fan at maximum)...in DA:I gpu was 95% and temp was 87C
I don´t know why...but it doesn´t get hot enought??? huh???

EDIT: low fps even when gpu is at 50C ...when I start the game...so I´m pretty sure it´s not thermal throttling

30 fps is playable man .... can you give me the equivalent of your gpu wit that oc?

vladgiurgiubv

30 fps is playable man .... can you give me the equivalent of your gpu wit that oc?

It´s not really playable because it dosen´t hold 30 fps...not even 720p gives me stable 30fps... which is very bad :(

And it´s only playable with vsync on because if off-> stuttering etc....but even with 720p when it drops to 27 fps you get input lag....and adaptive vsync is not working on mobile gpu at 1/2 refresh rate

So there is nothing I can do

But the strange thing is...900p vs 720p almost the same fps....low detail vs medium almost the same fps....How come???
Another strange thing is... tried a driver from feb 2014 and the performance was EXACTLY the same How come???

I figure it (+overclock) should be around the GTX 680m...so maybe around GTX 660...I think this is a good estimate

Last edited:
So far I just tried this game on laptop.
NVidia 820M 4GB ; i5-4210U;
8GB ram; Win 8.

I didn't try that edited config file yet (I need permission to download it) and now I have just up to 14 FPS.

It´s not really playable because it dosen´t hold 30 fps...not even 720p gives me stable 30fps... which is very bad :(

And it´s only playable with vsync on because if off-> stuttering etc....but even with 720p when it drops to 27 fps you get input lag....and adaptive vsync is not working on mobile gpu at 1/2 refresh rate

But the strange thing is...900p vs 720p almost the same fps....low detail vs medium almost the same fps....How come???
Another strange thing is... tried a driver from feb 2014 and the performance was EXACTLY the same How come???

I figure it should be around the GTX 680m...so maybe around GTX 660...I think this is a good estimate

mate check your CPU temps....sounds like cpu bottlencek due to its thermal throttling

little changes in fps while changing graphical settings almost always means cpu bottleneck (you have a decent one ,so throttling might be it)

use msi afterburners graphs, always better

---------- Updated at 04:06 PM ----------

So far I just tried this game on laptop.
NVidia 820M 4GB ; i5-4210U;
8GB ram; Win 8.

I didn't try that edited config file yet (I need permission to download it) and now I have just up to 14 FPS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1crdHqYGJGYbEt6aXBzcGE4MEE/view

v 0.2

vladgiurgiubv

mate check your CPU temps....sounds like cpu bottlencek due to its thermal throttling

little changes in fps while changing graphical settings almost always means cpu bottleneck (you have a decent one ,so throttling might be it)

use msi afterburners graphs, always better

what temp is the CPU throttling? (CPU stays around 40% so I think it should not be a problem...but I´m going to test in now)
can the CPU temp get in 3 seconds that high?...because I get low fps the moment I am in-game....
btw. heatsink is the same for CPU and GPU

Moreover, I disabled 4 CPUs in the task manager and the game ran with the same FPS only more load on the 4 remaining CPUs

So I guess CPU thermal throttling is also improbable...but i´m going to check

Last edited:

I figure it (+overclock) should be around the GTX 680m...so maybe around GTX 660...I think this is a good estimate

What's your CPU? Every mobile processor has its own throttle set at a certain degree. Mine starts at 100 celsius (i5) but luckily I never hit that... When I had an i3 now that was pure hell because the throttle there was 85 and I did hit that quite often. Also, try putting two bottle cups under your laptop, it will have more space for air. I found this better than a cooling pad. EVERY laptop is set ridiculously low, no wonder most of them overheat.. The problem is often not shitty cooling but shitty air flow.

what temp is the CPU throttling? (CPU stays around 40% so I think it should not be a problem...but I´m going to test in now)
can the CPU temp get in 3 seconds that high?...because I get low fps the moment I am in-game....
btw. heatsink is the same for CPU and GPU

Moreover, I disabled 4 CPUs in the task manager and the game ran with the same FPS only more load on the 4 remaining CPUs

So I guess CPU thermal throttling is also improbable...but i´m going to check

around 90 C (noticable ones occour over 95)

Top Bottom