Witcher 3-Performance on mobile GPUs

+
I just tinkered a little bit with the in-game options. Surprisingly, having everything on max, did not give me anything less than 16-20 fps. When I got everything to low, I scaled to 25-30.Thats enough to get by a little bit with some exploring and sidequests. I'm not going anywhere near Novigrad with this settings, until some performance improvement has been done.

hardware and res?

Lenovo Y580, i7 3610QM @ 2.30Ghz, 16 GB RAM and a Geforce GTX 660M with latest driver version (352.86)Resolution was 1366x768 at fullscreen.

---------- Updated at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ssjchiel View Post
I hope someone can help me, becaus I`m going insane. I van`t seem to get my game above 20-25 fps, it doesn`t seem to matter what I do.
Can someone please tell me which of the following stats are my problem, and how I may solve it.

My laptop is a asus n750JK

Processor
Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz (Intel Core i7)
Graphics adapter
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M - 2048 MB, DDR3, 332.35
Memory
8192 MB
, PC3-12800 DDR3

Thank in advance, hope somebody can help me out here

mate if your driver is really 332.35 update it...... long overdue

Also , searh in this thread , there was someone who got 30fps in medium or something similar

Sorry but i already updates my drivers with the latest versions. So I hope there is something else I can do or change. I really like to finish my Geralt story:), and I thought my specs would be good enough to run the game okay on medium. So if anybody knows anything that can help me, it`s much appreciated.

Last edited:
For gaming, the 850m's an entry-level GPU, similar to a desktop 750Ti but slower. So your potential gain is limited.

The latest driver is not 332.35, as you claim, but 352.86. Only 352.86 has new updates for Witcher 3.

Others have found that the GeForce Experience and the accompanying streaming service are a totally unnecessary, performance-sapping POS that should be uninstalled, especially for this game.

thermal throttling ( use msi afterburners graphs - anything over 90 is not good) , not in performance mode , not plugged in, Background processes,NVIDIA HAIRWORKS

a few suggestions

---------- Updated at 07:54 PM ----------

For gaming, the 850m's an entry-level GPU, similar to a desktop 750Ti but slower. So your potential gain is limited.

The latest driver is not 332.35, as you claim, but 352.86. Only 352.86 has new updates for Witcher 3.

Others have found that the GeForce Experience and the accompanying streaming service are a totally unnecessary, performance-sapping POS that should be uninstalled, especially for this game.

this may sound childish.. but told you so! the 860m can do high medium @ 30fps!!! yaay!

Sorry I should have been more specific, the number of the driver is not the one from factory setiings, I have already updated the newest versions. I will try deleting geforce experience and see if it helps, thank you!

Still if other people have suggestions or came with solutions themselves, still interested.

My laptop is a asus n750JK

Processor
Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz (Intel Core i7)
Graphics adapter
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M - 2048 MB, DDR3, 352.86
Memory
8192 MB
, PC3-12800 DDR3

Last edited:
Just for shits and giggles I actually cranked everything up to high on my trusty GTX860M.

FPS still stays in the 30 range, which is good enough for me. :D

Last edited:
Just for shits and giggles I actually cranked everything up to high on my trusty GTX860M.

FPS still stays in the 30 range, which is good enough for me. :D

serious mate? i would love to see it, i have the same card and i am getting the game on 23 may

serious mate? i would love to see it, i have the same card and i am getting the game on 23 may

Bear in mind that I have not yet progressed past the first village, so I am kinda trolling around the countryside and testing how much forests and foliage my laptop can take. Maybe after I reach Novigrad, I'll have to downgrade so who knows. I *did* however turned off garbage like anything blur related and the Hairworks. Oh and foliage distance is on medium.

I'll keep you posted. ;)

Using a i7-4702MQ, GF GTX 850M 2 GB GDDR5, 8 GB Ram 1600 MHz, SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

900p, mostly high, others medium + reshade/sweetfx for changing colour/brightness. FPS stay on high 30s /low 40s. Smooth experience.
The GPU has an OC of around 15% on core and mem frequncies.

can i run it with this spec I7 4800MQ 2.4GHz 1600MHz, GT 750M GDDR5 SLI, 8GB RAM at least at 720P on medium ??

Repost from general benchmark thread, since it makes more sense to be here:

Laptop user here.
Dell Inspiron 15R SE Core i5-3210M. 2.5GHz
6GM RAM
7730M Radeon

I need to "congratulate" CD Project Red for creating first game that is not by definition playable on this laptop. With low details and 1280x768 resolution I get around 20-22fps. What is surprising it that on same resolution and ultra, minus hairworks, game works at 10fps. That is IMHO, very low performance difference between high and low detail settings (only x2). I'm really disappointed in that regard. This was all tested only in starting tower area (inside and balcony). Have no idea how performance would be later in the game.

I will attempt playing on these settings:
Postprocess: default Low preset
Graphics: customized Medium preset
*low foliage view distance
*low shadows
*ultra textures

With these settings I did not see any difference compared to true Low preset in performance.

---------- Updated at 05:13 AM ----------

Note that I will consider buying better 15" laptop soon, to replace this one.

As far as I see, only playable options for Witcher 3 are those with GTX 850M. 860M, 950M or 960M, as far as 15" size allows.

Right?

Just bough Asus G551JW to replace this rig.
Core i7-4720HQ, 2.6GHz
8GR RAM
GTX 960M, 4GB VRAM

Now same starting tower section gives around 30fps on medium graphics (high post-process) and 1080p resolution.

Pretty nice upgrade over my old rig.

But I'll change my preset with following, which also gives around 30fps:

Postprocess: default High preset (with SSOA)
Graphics: customized Ultra preset (with old big hitters turned off)
*disabled hairworks
*medium foliage view distance
*low shadows

Interestingly enough, if I use same settings as in my old rig, I can get around 50-60fps in starting area.

Last edited:
Using a i7-4702MQ, GF GTX 850M 2 GB GDDR5, 8 GB Ram 1600 MHz, SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

900p, mostly high, others medium + reshade/sweetfx for changing colour/brightness. FPS stay on high 30s /low 40s. Smooth experience.
The GPU has an OC of around 15% on core and mem frequncies.

OC with 850m?are you using 344/347.88 drivers? or have they finally unlocked it in the 352.13 driver?

---------- Updated at 03:27 AM ----------

Just bough Asus G551JW to replace this rig.
Core i7-4720HQ, 2.6GHz
8GR RAM
GTX 960M, 4GB VRAM

Now same starting tower section gives around 30fps on medium graphics (high post-process) and 1080p resolution.

Pretty nice upgrade over my old rig.

thanks and congrats mate!, but are you sure you cannot do higher? i have guys saying that they can do high medium or high @ 30 fps in 1080p with an 860m

Well check the follow up comment. I put "custom" ultra for same 30fps performance (low shadows, medium foliage, no hairworks)

970M 3GB, i7-4710, settings high-to-ultra with disabling crap like DOF/blur/bloom/vignetting/aberration. Performance is perfect, don't measure the FPS, but it's more than 30 with no drops.

970M 3GB, i7-4710, settings high-to-ultra with disabling crap like DOF/blur/bloom/vignetting/aberration. Performance is perfect, don't measure the FPS, but it's more than 30 with no drops.

glad to hear! but the fps would really help others with the sane gpu to know what to expect

I have an i7 4700 MQ @ 2.4 GHz (3.4 GHz turbo), 16 GB RAM, 4 GB Radeon HD8970M, and a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB. With this set-up, The Witcher 3 runs poorly. At 1024x768 and everything at LOW, I get 8-12 FPS. With the user.setting file posted in this thread and resolution at 640x480, I get a range of 14-30 with averages around 18 or 19.

I have an i7 4700 MQ @ 2.4 GHz (3.4 GHz turbo), 16 GB RAM, 4 GB Radeon HD8970M, and a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB. With this set-up, The Witcher 3 runs poorly. At 1024x768 and everything at LOW, I get 8-12 FPS. With the user.setting file posted in this thread and resolution at 640x480, I get a range of 14-30 with averages around 18 or 19.

OMG, that really really really suck, i feel bad for you. I'm running this game on i5. 2.3 ghz (inferior to your), 8 GB RAM (inferior to your), HD 5850 (not sure), non SSD drive, running in window mode at 1400 X 1050 resolution on medium with everything enable including HBAO+ and getting about 35 to 40 fps. Though I get around 22 fps on horseback though.

Just for the lulz, I wanted to see how my integrated Intel HD Graphic 4600 would perform.

With everything set to low and 1024x768 resolution, it would achieve 13-15fps.

OMG, that really really really suck, i feel bad for you. I'm running this game on i5. 2.3 ghz (inferior to your), 8 GB RAM (inferior to your), HD 5850 (not sure), non SSD drive, running in window mode at 1400 X 1050 resolution on medium with everything enable including HBAO+ and getting about 35 to 40 fps. Though I get around 22 fps on horseback though.

Most people seem to have Nvidia so I assumed maybe my problems were AMD related. Guess not. Maybe the new AMD drivers will help. Anyway, sucks for me but I'm happy to hear you're getting a decent experience! :)

Top Bottom