Witcher 3-Performance on mobile GPUs

+
Most people seem to have Nvidia so I assumed maybe my problems were AMD related. Guess not. Maybe the new AMD drivers will help. Anyway, sucks for me but I'm happy to hear you're getting a decent experience! :)

Thanks mate, but don't worry, the new patch will fix it. I expect to be able to run in 1080p on low. It just poorly optimize for PC right now so therefore the minimal requirement is far higher than it should be.

Using a i7-4702MQ, GF GTX 850M 2 GB GDDR5, 8 GB Ram 1600 MHz, SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

900p, mostly high, others medium + reshade/sweetfx for changing colour/brightness. FPS stay on high 30s /low 40s. Smooth experience.
The GPU has an OC of around 15% on core and mem frequncies.

The only difference I have with you is that I have a GDDR3 instead of GDDR5 graphix card, does that make so much of a difference? I just can`t seem to get my fps as high as you have. What is it that I`m doing wrong? Deleting geforce experiernce also didn`t work.

The only difference I have with you is that I have a GDDR3 instead of GDDR5 graphix card, does that make so much of a difference? I just can`t seem to get my fps as high as you have. What is it that I`m doing wrong? Deleting geforce experiernce also didn`t work.

The DDR3 memory is 2000 MHz effective, the GDDR5 is 5000 MHz (without OC). So there's clearly some difference.
If you know what you are doing and you have no problem of temperatures you should OC it a bit (it's a Maxwell, it shouldn't warm too much. For example mine stays on low 60s Celsius under load)

The DDR3 memory is 2000 MHz effective, the GDDR5 is 5000 MHz (without OC). So there's clearly some difference.
If you know what you are doing and you have no problem of temperatures you should OC it a bit (it's a Maxwell, it shouldn't warm too much. For example mine stays on low 60s Celsius under load)

Okay, and with what software should I overclock it? I saw someone using Nvidia inspector, is that any good or something ese? And what do you mean with `reshade/sweetfix changing`? Appreciate the help.

I think everyone heard it by now but there will be a patch with 600 changes, including added gprahipcs options (I hope that means we can turn off shadows completely too) and more tinkering with ini later. So I am 100% sure I and the other potato users will be able to squeeze out more fps and make it actually playable in at least proper 720p.

Okay, and with what software should I overclock it? I saw someone using Nvidia inspector, is that any good or something ese? And what do you mean with `reshade/sweetfix changing`? Appreciate the help.

I use Nvidia Inspector, but you should know what you are doing, since OC is not a safe thing.
Sweetfx/REshade is an injector to change some stuff with postprocessing (color palette, brightness and so on) with a small peerformance cost (if you use only simple effects).

vladgiurgiubv

CDPR, is my Intel i7 3630QM a bottleneck for the game?

Thanks!

To JuStFrEaKoN: Given that the 970M is the equivalent of a desktop 760, your result pretty much make sense.

Not in my testing, its roughly the equivalent of a desktop 960 GTX.

My System;

MSI Dominator GT70 2QD
Intel Core i7 4710MQ
8GB DDR3 1600
Geforce 970M GTX 3GB
256GB Sandisk Ultra SSD <- Witcher 3.
1TB Western Digital 7200RPM HDD.
Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64

All Post processing on MAX,
All settings on HIGH except Textures on Ultra, Hairworks off, Shadows on Medium and foliage on MEDIUM.

Getting around 50-60fps, usually stays at 60 but occasionally dips to ~50.

Also, for those of you trying to run Witcher 3 on Budget Laptops and complaining of bad optimization, you're lucky its not 10-15 years ago where even top line PC's couldn't handle games that well and laptops were a no-go. I'm honestly surprised some of you can even run the game.

Last edited:
ASUS G46 with a gtx 660m, i5 and 4gb ram. performance is crap. i could run tw2 maxed out (except supersampling).
the worst part is that most of the time it plays fine but there are many situations when it stutters for a sec or the character s movement is weird.

postprocessing everything on except motion blur and ambient occlusion.

vsync off
res 1366
hairworks off
nr characters low
shadow low
terrain high
water high
grass low
texture medium
foliage low
detail medium

my question is ... if i add say another 4gb ram will i get some extra fps?

---------- Updated at 11:19 AM ----------

i also overclocked my card from core 835 to 1150 and memory from 2500 to 2800 and i still have problems :(

CDPR, is my Intel i7 3630QM a bottleneck for the game?

Thanks!

nope... and btw check if physix is set to gpu instead of cpu

---------- Updated at 05:44 PM ----------

does the 352.13 driver allow oc? i thhougt it was blocked

Ok, so I tested it out on my laptop (still scraping parts for a new PC), specs:

i5 4200U @ 1.6Ghz to 2.3Ghz
8Gb of RAM
AMD 8670M GPU

I am getting 15-17 fps with all settings set on low, sometimes it jumps to 20fps....I don't know how but I somehow managed to finish all the quests in White Orchard xD (That's how immersive the world feels like), but unfortunately I'm not gonna continue playing, it will take a couple of more months for me to build a PC and I don't want to spoil myself with a almost unplayable experience :/ Have fun guys!

ASUS G46 with a gtx 660m, i5 and 4gb ram. performance is crap. i could run tw2 maxed out (except supersampling).
the worst part is that most of the time it plays fine but there are many situations when it stutters for a sec or the character s movement is weird.

postprocessing everything on except motion blur and ambient occlusion.

vsync off
res 1366
hairworks off
nr characters low
shadow low
terrain high
water high
grass low
texture medium
foliage low
detail medium

my question is ... if i add say another 4gb ram will i get some extra fps?

---------- Updated at 11:19 AM ----------

i also overclocked my card from core 835 to 1150 and memory from 2500 to 2800 and i still have problems :(

yes , mostly it will

just monitor your ram usage using msi afterburners graphs

yes , mostly it will

just monitor your ram usage using msi afterburners graphs

really? great:D i thought that all games really need only 4gb ram. guess the open world ones need more:)
could someone tell me pls how does someone chose the right RAM? that s compatible with the ones already in the laptop?

really? great:D i thought that all games really need only 4gb ram. guess the open world ones need more:)
could someone tell me pls how does someone chose the right RAM? that s compatible with the ones already in the laptop?

both rams must have same latency and frequency.Brands can be different. Ec. gskill 4gb 1866 Cl 9 is comparible with kingston of the same freq and CL

any ideea how many fps will i gain after going from 4gb to 8gb? :)

no idea. Just monitor your usage and check if you are limited by your ram. Also ask persons with similar configurations

---------- Updated at 09:00 AM ----------

need info on

GTX 965m / 770m /780m/670m

Amd gpus are lacking too.....

any help?

Well, I can give you some feedback from my config. You might be a bit surprise though. So I have a Sager, 17" with a I7 4910MQ clock at 3.99ghz with 16gigs of Ram and a sli of 780m nvidia graphic cards. Now here's where it gets tricky:

-My first 780m (4gigs) is overclocked to 1034mhz with a voltage clock to +75mv
-The second 780m is overclocked to 1070mhz with a v clock to +100mv.

With this config I can run the game in the open world section with 35 to 45fps, everything Ultra, even hairworks, minus AA at 1080p (Tried 4k downscale, I was between, 15 to 25fps unplayable but surprisingly high for max out, maybe with hairworks off I could play lock to 30fps, I'll try to see if it's possible).

At 1080p, the worst deeps I can get occur during cinematics, down to 29. Other than that I'm the happiest gamer on earth. Still waiting for the terrain setting to be fixed though. I want to see how Tesselation looks ^^.

Other than that, amazing game thank you CDProjekt!

Performance on 770M is underwhelming, as it is with Kepler cards in general for this game. Other games used to perform like a 860M or a desktop 750 Ti which are Maxwell cards, but Witcher 3 runs badly. I have a recording at 1080p with custom settings (which would provide smoother results on those two Maxwell equivalents) and low settings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jl6fM6uGWk
Dropping resolution to 900p or 720p obviously helps, but it's still choppier than expected.
On 352.86 drivers. 350.12 made no difference, either. Hopefully Nvidia/CDPR do something about the Kepler performance.

Top Bottom