Witcher 3-Performance on mobile GPUs

+
Yes, my recording was on 1.03. I have the same fps so no actual performance gain, but it seemed to be less stuttery than 1.02.

vladgiurgiubv

I got a few fps by setting physx to run on the CPU in nVidia Control Panel!

I got a few fps by setting physx to run on the CPU in nVidia Control Panel!

cheers! how much do you get now

---------- Updated at 10:45 AM ----------

Yes, my recording was on 1.03. I have the same fps so no actual performance gain, but it seemed to be less stuttery than 1.02.

getting worriedbabout my 860m.... most of the guys here say 35+ on med high

notebookcheck tells 19fps on high

I saw that and it's possible they might have tested a Kepler 860M which seems to have the same issues as my 770M. Maxwell 860M performs better. As you can see, the 860M from Notebookcheck performs just as a 850M, which is a Maxwell card, even if definitely not as powerful -theoretically- as a 860M, be it Kepler or Maxwell.
So your performance will depend on what kind of 860M you have.

I saw that and it's possible they might have tested a Kepler 860M which seems to have the same issues as my 770M. Maxwell 860M performs better. As you can see, the 860M from Notebookcheck performs just as a 850M, which is a Maxwell card, even if definitely not as powerful -theoretically- as a 860M, be it Kepler or Maxwell.
So your performance will depend on what kind of 860M you have.

i have tje maxwell , didnt notice what they used...Thanks for notifying me mate! going to get the game tomorrow.The thing that got me confused was the 960m - same as the 860m albeit 7% overclock has 20 FPS gain over the 860m .
Cheers!

Last edited:

vladgiurgiubv

cheers! how much do you get now

---------- Updated at 10:45 AM ----------

getting worriedbabout my 860m.... most of the guys here say 35+ on med high

notebookcheck tells 19fps on high

got around 4-5 fps

SO, this is my two cents guys:

I got an I5-4200U, 8870M and 8GB RAM.
My first issue was actually starting the game, when it would go black for about two seconds and then back to desktop. After an reinstall it did the same thing( i thought it didn't update the patch correctly, it gave me an install error first time, some issues with GOG settings but got that sorted ). I thought that I'm ploughed since I only have two physical cores on my laptop. Thankfully i got the idea to go in the graphics controller and add my dedicated card to use extra power when running TW3. And guess what, IT FREAKING WORKED. Got like all orgasmic and shit. I guess it was just not switching to the AMD card and sticking with the integrated one.

So i put everything on low, and got a stable 20-23 FPS in game with everything on low on default 1600X900. After lowerd the resolution to 1377x768 I got a nice bump, going somewhere around 26-28 FPS, sometimes up to 30 and in dialogues low as 21-22, but that's fine; and a constant 60 in Gwent.
Temps were constant 73-76, and memory usage at arround 750-800 MB and the actual laptop was not really overheating, it felt maybe even cooler than what it felt like runing TW2!!!

All in all, I'm happy I can run it at a playable frame rate. I got this laptop more than a year ago for about 600 GBP. To be honest, I think the processor is bottlenecking it a bit, as my video card is pretty decent.

Last edited:

vladgiurgiubv

now I´m running it at 720p and it´s still not working properly...i barely hit 30fps...so..that´s it...no TW3 for me :(

now I´m running it at 720p and it´s still not working properly...i barely hit 30fps...so..that´s it...no TW3 for me :(

Dude, 25-30 fps is totally playable... I was able to get 20-25 with butchered ini in 1024x768 but since patch 1.03 I am back to to 10-15 fps..now THAT is where unplayable starts...

vladgiurgiubv

Dude, 25-30 fps is totally playable... I was able to get 20-25 with butchered ini in 1024x768 but since patch 1.03 I am back to to 10-15 fps..now THAT is where unplayable starts...

it´s very distracting and frustrating and can´t enjoy the story and the quests etc. :(

it´s very distracting and frustrating and can´t enjoy the story and the quests etc. :(

Well, maybe I am just used to playing games at low framerates but 30 would be awesome for me at the moment xD. Partly I agree though, in open world rpg games 30 is fine since they are not super fast spaced like FPS games. In those, I like 40-60 usually. Maybe when I get a super rig one day I won't be able to go back to 30 :D. I have to work with what I have now. Waiting for more patches and some ini mages.

vladgiurgiubv

what annoys me the most is the fact that if I change quality settings I don´t get any performance improvement! even if I disable AA and the likes... performance changes only if I change foliage distance and the resolution....maybe it´s just me but this way of performing is cookoo ...physx on CPU...CPU running under 70%...GPU running at 99% but doesn´t heat up to the max temp.....really cookoo

what annoys me the most is the fact that if I change quality settings I don´t get any performance improvement! even if I disable AA and the likes... performance changes only if I change foliage distance and the resolution....maybe it´s just me but this way of performing is cookoo ...physx on CPU...CPU running under 70%...GPU running at 99% but doesn´t heat up to the max temp.....really cookoo

a curious case indeed. Asked cdpr yet? seriouly mate a 680m lvl card shoulld do fine @ 1080p

---------- Updated at 03:49 PM ----------

700m series 600m and 500m series needed/ 950m too

Weird that the new patch made stuff worse for you.
Vlad, 680M is a Kepler card, so results will be bad.
@uthvag, you haven't updated the first post with my 770M info yet :p.

I initially posted this in the PC benchmarks thread, but I wasn't able to log into the forum the last couple of days, and this thread now seems like a more appropriate place to post my specs/performance.

I'm currently playing the Witcher 3 on an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro laptop with a GTX 860m (overclocked), i7-4710HQ, and 16GB RAM.

I've not yet messed around directly with the .ini files yet, but using the options provided in the game menu, I've managed to achieve a stable 30-35 FPS (in White Orchard ONLY thus far) with the following settings:

Graphics--

V-Sync - OFF
Max FPS - 60
Resolution - 1920x1080
Display Mode - Borderless Window
Nvidia Hairworks - OFF
Number of Background Characters: HIGH
Shadow Quality - MEDIUM
Terrain Quality - HIGH
Water Quality - HIGH
Grass Density - MEDIUM
Texture Quality - ULTRA
Detail Level - HIGH
Hardware Cursor - OFF

Post-Processing Effects--

Motion Blur - OFF
Blur - OFF
Anti-Aliasing - ON
Bloom - ON
Sharpening - LOW
Ambient Occlusion - OFF
Depth of Field - OFF
Chromatic Aberration -ON
Vignetting - ON

I've also applied the Kputt'e Reshade + Sweetfx 2.0 preset to adjust the color palette more to my liking, and now I'm very satisfied with the way the Witcher 3 looks and performs on my laptop (still need to see how my setup handles a major city like Novigrad). Based on the early reviews and benchmarks, I had been under the assumption that I'd have to run the Witcher 3 mostly on low just to achieve 30 FPS. I'm pleased that a bit of overclocking on my 860m has helped me push those setting primarily into the high range, with only a few settings scaled back to medium, and with the bonus of being able to set textures to ultra.

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-05-21 01-08-40.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-21 01-08-40.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 65
  • witcher3 2015-05-21 13-49-29.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-21 13-49-29.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 64
  • witcher3 2015-05-21 14-39-48.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-21 14-39-48.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 62
  • witcher3 2015-05-21 15-03-09.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-21 15-03-09.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 49
  • witcher3 2015-05-21 17-03-55.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-21 17-03-55.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

done! thanks for reminding

---------- Updated at 08:26 PM ----------

I initially posted this in the PC benchmarks thread, but I wasn't able to log into the forum the last couple of days, and this thread now seems like a more appropriate place to post my specs/performance.

I'm currently playing the Witcher 3 on an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro laptop with a GTX 860m (overclocked), i7-4710HQ, and 16GB RAM.

I've not yet messed around directly with the .ini files yet, but using the options provided in the game menu, I've managed to achieve a stable 30-35 FPS (in White Orchard ONLY thus far) with the following settings:

Graphics--

V-Sync - OFF
Max FPS - 60
Resolution - 1920x1080
Display Mode - Borderless Window
Nvidia Hairworks - OFF
Number of Background Characters: HIGH
Shadow Quality - MEDIUM
Terrain Quality - HIGH
Water Quality - HIGH
Grass Density - MEDIUM
Texture Quality - ULTRA
Detail Level - HIGH
Hardware Cursor - OFF

Post-Processing Effects--

Motion Blur - OFF
Blur - OFF
Anti-Aliasing - ON
Bloom - ON
Sharpening - LOW
Ambient Occlusion - OFF
Depth of Field - OFF
Chromatic Aberration -ON
Vignetting - ON

I've also applied the Kputt'e Reshade + Sweetfx 2.0 preset to adjust the color palette more to my liking, and now I'm very satisfied with the way the Witcher 3 looks and performs on my laptop (still need to see how my setup handles a major city like Novigrad). Based on the early reviews and benchmarks, I had been under the assumption that I'd have to run the Witcher 3 mostly on low just to achieve 30 FPS. I'm pleased that a bit of overclocking on my 860m has helped me push those setting primarily into the high range, with only a few settings scaled back to medium, and with the bonus of being able to set textures to ultra.

thanks!

a few questions if you dont mind...

How did you OC the 860m ( have the same card)? modded vbios? the 352.86 has clock block

foliage level?
Also , i thought that the fullscreen mode improved performance over the borderless window mode
PS- you might already know , but the ultra textures just prevent popins , same quality as high text

---------- Updated at 08:27 PM ----------

vlads getting 25-30 with low settings ( ini tweaks too i think) @ 720p.... thee 680m is almost on par with the GTX660

Top Bottom