Witcher 3-Performance on mobile GPUs

+

vladgiurgiubv

It was discussed in a technical interview: it was implemented, evaluated, and rejected, for requiring too much performance for little visual advantage. It's an expensive feature, and comparing a game with a much smaller world doesn't do justice to the performance impact.

Thank you for the quick response!

But isn´t full tessellation more expensive than dynamic tessellation?
Please tell us how to change tessellation level in the game (ini files user settings etc.) We saw that on AMD cards putting the tessellation on 16x they get a lot more performance. Save our day!

---------- Updated at 06:18 PM ----------

how are the temps? i heard fermis overheats easily

---------- Updated at 05:58 PM ----------

@vlad any changes in your perf?

no, still bad

My take on this:

Laptop:
Asus ROG G750JZ

Specifications:
CPU: I7-4700HQ
GPU: 880M 4GB
MEMORY:8GB
SDD: Samsung Evo 840 250GB

Settings:
Post process effects: Everything is ON/MAX with exception of AA OFF and Sharpening LOW
Video: Everything is on MEDIUM with exception of TEXTURES ULTRA and WATER HIGH at 1080p.

vladgiurgiubv

My take on this:

Laptop:
Asus ROG G750JZ

Specifications:

Settings:
Post process effects: Everything is ON/MAX with exception of AA OFF and Sharpening LOW
Video: Everything is on MEDIUM with exception of TEXTURES ULTRA and WATER HIGH at 1080p.

tell us, does your performance scale with the settings?...if you turn AA on how many fps do you lose? Thanks!

My take on this:

Laptop:
Asus ROG G750JZ

Specifications:

Settings:

you forgot the fps mare ( but i am guessing that it is 60)

how are the temps? i heard fermis overheats easily

---------- Updated at 05:58 PM ----------

@vlad any changes in your perf?

I think temps are pretty good. 80-85 celsius under full load, 90 very rarely (that's pretty much in summer). 65-80 in winter. Of course less intensive games won't even heat it up that much. This sounds a lot but on laptops these temps are completely normal. Actually, I never overheated because of this GPU, when I rarely did it was because of my CPU and even that wasn't really "overheating" just the throttle function kicked in which murdered fps. I had that a lot when I had an i3 because the kick in is at 85 on that one. Now with an i5 on which the limit is 100 I never throttle. Buuut, only because I use two bottle caps to have the back of the laptop sit higher because the default air flow is horrible with those super tiny legs...... Can't really go higher with temps even if I wanted though, hardware is just too old and not that powerful. Temps are probably lower with weaker 500M series unless the lapop has a very horrible cooling. I think my Lenovo Y570 got a pretty decent one. a relatively large heat sink with a medium sized fan (also pretty loud but I don't pay attention to it when I am immersed in stuff anyway).

Last edited:
I think temps are pretty good. 80-85 celsius under full load, 90 very rarely (that's pretty much in summer). 65-80 in winter. Of course less intensive games won't even heat it up that much. This sounds a lot but on laptops these temps are completely normal. Actually, I never overheated because of this GPU, when I rarely did it was because of my CPU and even that wasn't really "overheating" just the throttle function kicked in which murdered fps. I had that a lot when I had an i3 because the kick in is at 85 on that one. Now with an i5 on which the limit is 100 I never throttle. Buuut, only because I use two bottle caps to have the back of the laptop sit higher because the default air flow is horrible with those super tiny legs...... Can't really go higher with temps even if I wanted though, hardware is just too old and not that powerful. Temps are probably lower with weaker 500M series unless the lapop has a very horrible cooling. I think my Lenovo Y570 got a pretty decent one. a relatively large heat sink with a medium sized fan (also pretty loud but I don't pay attention to it when I am immersed in stuff anyway).

your ambient? i get around 85 C on my CPU at the max.. Normally 76-80C. Cooled -55C

........................................................................................................................

To anyone who has OC their mobile GPUs

with 75+(seen till a 100) hz extra my freq dips and increases by 5 fps. i donot see this below 50hz extra on core.The temps too dont increase

Any idea why?

Well, me and my 660m are getting a solid 23 - 25 in the middle of the woods of Velen. This patch actually gave me around 5 or 6, so I can't complain. I'm delaying my arrival at Novigrad though :p

vladgiurgiubv

Well, me and my 660m are getting a solid 23 - 25 in the middle of the woods of Velen. This patch actually gave me around 5 or 6, so I can't complain. I'm delaying my arrival at Novigrad though :p

for me (gtx675mx) novigrad was smoother and more fps than any village

---------- Updated at 09:00 PM ----------

havnt seen an ounce of performance gain.....

I haven´t either

your ambient? i get around 85 C on my CPU at the max.. Normally 76-80C. Cooled -55C

........................................................................................................................

To anyone who has OC their mobile GPUs

with 75+(seen till a 100) hz extra my freq dips and increases by 5 fps. i donot see this below 50hz extra on core.The temps too dont increase

Any idea why?

My room is on the second floor of our house with huge windows so my ambient changes a lot daily. Cooled is usually around 45 for me but that's due to the system underclocking itself when I am not gaming.

Getting a nutty FPS

mostly 30 fps , in villages / some larger fights it is around 27. Bogs /marshes- 24-25 Bogs with a lot of fighting 30

@ Guest , do you know why there is a fluctuation of frequencies(-5 to +0) at higher OCs? no temp increases too ( 70C @ +100hz core - 1200mhz total)

Last edited by a moderator:

vladgiurgiubv

Getting a nutty FPS

mostly 30 fps , in villages / some larger fights it is around 27. Bogs /marshes- 24-25 Bogs with a lot of fighting 30

@ Guest , do you know why there is a fluctuation of frequencies(-5 to +0) at higher OCs? no temp increases too ( 70C @ +100hz core - 1200mhz total)

maybe because that freq is unstable...try a lower one and see if the fluctuation is still there

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe because that freq is unstable...try a lower one and see if the fluctuation is still there

not at a lower one like 50hz

just at 75+hz

did a 135 earlier , however i was busy monitoring the temps(1C rise). didnt notice the fluctuations

bad chip for oc?

ASUS G751JT
i7-4720HQ
GTX 970m OC'd to 1400MHz
50+ FPS with all Max settings except shadows & foliage visibility range at high, hairworks on Geralt only, sharpening on low and chromatic aberration off.

vladgiurgiubv

http://techreport.com/review/21404/crysis-2-tessellation-too-much-of-a-good-thing/2

I wonder how many of these super-objects are in the witcher 3

We simply need a tessellation setting in this game, but apparently CDPR doesn´t want to respond and give us a simple command line...something is really fishy here

---------- Updated at 11:27 AM ----------

It seems to me that even if I have Hairworks disabled, Gerald has Hairworks applied on his hair....it´s very weird...how come it dangles even if I have Hairworks off?

It seems to me that even if I have Hairworks disabled, Gerald has Hairworks applied on his hair....it´s very weird...how come it dangles even if I have Hairworks off?
Default redengie physics .
Nvidia hairworks makes it look more realistic ( or like a L'Oreal ad).

Same defference as default physics vs Nvidia Physix

vladgiurgiubv

Guys, what do you say we make a petition on change.org in which we promise to never buy nVidia products again? we could add all the info...about kepler about 3.5gb 970 about gsync about drivers killing gpus...etc.

Guys, what do you say we make a petition on change.org in which we promise to never buy nVidia products again? we could add all the info...about kepler about 3.5gb 970 about gsync about drivers killing gpus...etc.

nice in paper , but bad in practice.

Without one , the other company is going to run a monopoly (AMD vs Nv) .Plus we need a few more / larger momentum for this 'change'(more force then the one which removed paid mods )
Also NV does push off decent products , and due to these products always having an upperhand over AMD ver few will sign up.

All we can do is hope that AMD 3xx blows Nv off its horse

vladgiurgiubv

yep, but nvidia having the monopoly will force it to obey certain laws that bind it to play fair even if there is no competition...so nvidia actually wants to keep amd afloat

---------- Updated at 02:47 PM ----------

Think about it: they said they found some problems with the drivers...but the thing is that older drivers perform exactly the same...so what that means is that they gimped GPUs for a long time now: "NVIDIA: business as usual"
So if we don´t see performance increase in Project CARS and other new games, that means that NVIDIA is gimping our GPUs again!

Top Bottom