Witcher 3-Performance on mobile GPUs

+
I have this laptop: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5219#kf

Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz-3.5GHz)
RAM: 8GB
Storage: Using the HDD at the moment (7200rpm)
Card:NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M GDDR5 8GB

I am running the game with everything on ultra, but Grass Density on High and Foliage Visibility on High. Hairworks is on.

I get constant 60 fps, although some fps drop when near foggy areas.

Extremely happy!

gt 750m checking in, everything low, game's barely comfortable :D didnt apply any tweaks from that other thread yet tho

any luck with the new nvidia Kepler drivers 353.06 [SUP]WHQL [/SUP]and fps so far ?

"
Implements optimizations and bug fixes
that provide increased performance for
Kepler-based GPUs. "

http://www.nvidia.de/download/driverResults.aspx/85882/de

10-15% increase in my case, which isn't that much since my fps was very low (2-4 more fps depending on the situation, will be more if you have a higher frame rate). Guess not much else can be done now except play along with the slightly less choppy frame rate. Anything closer to 30 helps, in the end. And dropping resolution...

Last edited:
With the new Geforce driver update 353.06 I gained 13 FPS on the low end dips, & 8 FPS gain on the average. I was getting a 40 FPS average with dips to 27 before. Now I am getting a 48 average with dips staying above 40. This is with all settings turned on & maxed @ 1080p including full Hairworks.

Alienware 18 Laptop (1080p/60Hz)
i7-4900MQ OCed to 4.0GHz
32GB RAM @ 1600MHz
2 x 4GB GTX 780M in SLI
2 x 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Geforce Driver 353.06

wow, with the latest driver + delete apex_clothinggpu make everything better, gameplay more stable with no dips.

play it for 5 hours really" fluid right now, i hope tomorrow CDPR update not ruin this.

wow, with the latest driver + delete apex_clothinggpu make everything better, gameplay more stable with no dips.

play it for 5 hours really" fluid right now, i hope tomorrow CDPR update not ruin this.

I hope the new game patch doesn't conflict with the latest Geforce driver either. The game is playing much better for me now than it did before the driver update.

Very low end Laptop

Hi, sorry im a little late to the party :D

Wasnt sure first if my laptop can pull it off at all.
But i bought the game anyways as i enjoyed witcher 1 and 2 very much.

So now to my specs:

Laptop: MSI GE700
CPU: i5-430M
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: ATI Radeon HD5730 turned switchable graphics off and im using the newest omega driver 14.something
upgraded HDD to SSD Transcend 250GB

I measured fps with fraps and play on 1280x720 fullscreen + some .ini tweaks. Without the tweaks its unplayable even on low and everything off and under 10 fps.
Basically i turned shadows and trees/grass down to a bareable minimum.

Novigrad: 10-15, avg 12
Outskirts: 15-17, avg 16

Fighting is nicely possible and relatively smooth.
Only drawback. 80% of all dialogues is out of synch. Could not find the right button yet to boost that. Maybe i find it one day :D
But it does not bother me really. After patch 1.05 i will fiddle around in the .ini more to push it over 20 fps.

Hope this can help someone ;) Im just glad that i can play this glorious game :p

I found that the game is mostly heavy on gpu's but that 4gb ram may be causing bottlenecks. I think increasing that to 8gb (or at least 6) may give you a few more fps.
Hi, sorry im a little late to the party :D

Wasnt sure first if my laptop can pull it off at all.
But i bought the game anyways as i enjoyed witcher 1 and 2 very much.

So now to my specs:

Laptop: MSI GE700
CPU: i5-430M
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: ATI Radeon HD5730 turned switchable graphics off and im using the newest omega driver 14.something
upgraded HDD to SSD Transcend 250GB

I measured fps with fraps and play on 1280x720 fullscreen + some .ini tweaks. Without the tweaks its unplayable even on low and everything off and under 10 fps.
Basically i turned shadows and trees/grass down to a bareable minimum.

Glad to see the backlash forced Nvidia to work on older gpu's too. Their business policies are just terrible for us consumers, but well that's capitalism.

Last edited:
Having login issues, have wanted to add what I learned to this thread - many may have already checked this option, but thought I would share here as well just in case! :)

I originally posted this on the compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version discussion (very helpful thread) in the Tech Support/PC area a couple of days ago..

My rig is a CZ17 Valkyrie, i7 3740-QM @ 2.7 GHz
16 GB RAM
GTX-680M (4 GB VRAM)
120GB SSD
700 GB HD

Everything I have played up to now on this rig (Skyrim, FC3, DAI etc.) has been on ultra & all settings with no problem.
Once I got W3 loaded (on the SSD), even after all the Nvidia control panel & other tweaks enabled (still not able to get that blasted registry file to get witcher3.com to go on to high priority automatically), I was only able to play at 1360 x 768 fullscreen with all settings on low and no post-processing (~30 fps).
The rig didn't appear to be running hot so I didn't think too much of the overheating potential, And then, just to try every option, I hit the 'turbo fan' button, gritted my teeth due to the noise, and started up the game,

Bludieck.

WHAT a difference...

I am still playing on 1360 x 768, but now have all postprocessing at maximum (except for motion blur, vignette, chromatic aberration), graphics fullscreen with everything on ultra except for shadow & no. of background characters (medium), and foliage at high. I am running @ a pretty steady 60fps, even in Novigrad.
I am also running RTSS and found that disabling Steam lessened the occasional (temporary) framerate slowdowns as well. So far, 1.03 & 1.04 have not caused me any significant issues. Very glad for the chimney smoke addition and increased texture quality option.

I was pretty amazed at the difference, and have come to the conclusion that the game must have been causing a GPU (heating) bottleneck on the 680M. This has been consistently working since I first applied it, and it has greatly increased my enjoyment level for the game. Not least being that it changed the conversations from being like watching a dubbed foreign film (speech totally out of sync with the image) to all facial & body movements matching the words as they are being spoken.

I was seeing some short occasional framerate slowdowns which disappeared after 20 - 40 seconds. Per the linked text above, stopping Steam from running in the background has significantly reduced the occurrence & frequency of these instances, I'm generally getting steady (60 fps) framerates through most of the play sessions, including in Novigrad.
:victory:

I found that the game is mostly heavy on gpu's but that 4gb ram may be causing bottlenecks. I think increasing that to 8gb (or at least 6) may give you a few more fps.

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered additional ram from ebay so i will have 6gb total. Will tell if it made a difference when the ram arrives.
Other than that i tweaked the .ini even further and now i get up to 22 fps in open fields, 18 avg and 14 avg in novigrad now.

Do you guys know if there is a page where i can see all the ini commands explained?
The most complete i found was the one from nvidia, but like 70% of the settings are not explained :(

Just a quick question for you knowledgeable folk here, is it even worth trying to play Witcher 3 on my Ageing ROG Asus Laptop or should I just stick to my PS4 version (which I am enjoying btw) My specs:

Asus G74SX : I7 2630QM 2.00Ghz (overclocked to 3.0) , 8GB GDDR 5 Memory , GTX 560M 3GB. Laptop is now around 4 years old not sure if I will bother, what sort of settings and performance can I expect? Maybe wait until W3 comes on sale on Steam?

Thanks!

what sort of settings and performance can I expect?

Well if fermi is still getting love from drivers you should get about 5-6 fps above me(Roughly) which puts you at low on everything other than texture quality all post process off at 1366/768 around 27-28 fps(Not in npc heavy areas) problem is i couldnt find benchmarks for recent games for your gpu so i am guessing this solely on your gpu having more brute force than mine.As for cpu you are more than ok since game is heavy on gpu my i5 4200m isnt even getting sweat. Still must experiment and see for yourself.

Just a quick question for you knowledgeable folk here, is it even worth trying to play Witcher 3 on my Ageing ROG Asus Laptop or should I just stick to my PS4 version (which I am enjoying btw) My specs:

Asus G74SX : I7 2630QM 2.00Ghz (overclocked to 3.0) , 8GB GDDR 5 Memory , GTX 560M 3GB. Laptop is now around 4 years old not sure if I will bother, what sort of settings and performance can I expect? Maybe wait until W3 comes on sale on Steam?

Thanks!

Lowest settings except textures and a very low resolution and it might still not be fluent at all. I strongly suggest sticking to the PS4 version this time for a smoother and prettier experience.

Top Bottom