Witcher 3 sales so far?

+
There are a lot more console gamers than PC gamers. And PC oriented people tend to be more familiar and comfortable with pirating than console peeps.

Not sure about figures exactly, but I'm sure for many indie games originally sold on PC and later ported to consoles, console sales figures tend to be higher. Not sure if this was also the case for The Witcher 2 (if anyone has figures on hand).

sorry, misread the article. Well there are at least 1 million pre orders by May 19, so sales are probably pretty good anyway.

And PC oriented people tend to be more familiar and comfortable with pirating than console peeps.

That's not true for games that are well made and companies that support PC properly.

Anyway it's not easy to keep a title like GTA 5 still on second number and after the fact that the game is available DRM free on GOG.

sorry, misread the article. Well there are at least 1 million pre orders by May 19, so sales are probably pretty good anyway.

I think you read the same article than I did, which spoke about witcher 1 selling 6 million copies on its seventh birthday or so, it also tricked me for a moment but it was an oldie ;)

That's not true for games that are well made and companies that support PC properly.

Anyway it's not easy to keep a title like GTA 5 still on second number and after the fact that the game is available DRM free on GOG.

But this isn't about DRM or PC supported games. It's about how piracy affects overall PC sales relative to console sales.

If the sales on amazon are any indication it's selling fantastic.
On amazon.de the ps4 version is the best selling game 2015 (in comparison: Bloodborne is 7th and was a huge success), The pc version is the second best selling pc game (after GTA5)
On amazon.co.uk the ps4 version is the second best selling game 2015 (GTA 5 is first) The xbox one version is 21th.

Seriously, the price of a recent release PC games need to be adjusted. How can you justify 60bucks. Its seems greedy, considering it has considerable less overhead cost & next to no resale value, compare to console.

It used to be, hardware for PC is expensive, but games are cheaper, but the latter is hard to argue now unless you are resigned to play games long after its release.

What surprised me the most, is that the game has already taken the 9th place on http://steamcharts.com/'s Top Records list knocking out Skyrim and overtaking Civilization V, which is totally absurd to me.
Now I know if a new TES came, it would probably take the 5th or 6th, but still.

I hope the game will be a huge success and CP2077 will be a perfect game.

Last edited:
If the sales on amazon are any indication it's selling fantastic.
On amazon.de the ps4 version is the best selling game 2015 (in comparison: Bloodborne is 7th and was a huge success), The pc version is the second best selling pc game (after GTA5)
On amazon.co.uk the ps4 version is the second best selling game 2015 (GTA 5 is first) The xbox one version is 21th.
That's good to hear!

Source would be nice. Maybe they wait til end of month to announced sales. 6 million sales sound amazing, considered, its been out for like 6 days

But this isn't about DRM or PC supported games. It's about how piracy affects overall PC sales relative to console sales.

Actually console games are pirated and heavily, in some areas of the world pirated console games are sold openly in street markets... the console is safer is not necessarily true, its just not as obvious yet. Also games made for PC such as Diablo 3 have sales far superior to console. PC digital sales also generate far better profits per unit then console games do. What hurts PC sales is lack of support for the platform, allowing it to function to its strengths.

Yep, consoles is the money maker for all games. Look at a game like Skyrim, one of the top selling games of all time, over 20million in units sold is a huge number. One would think with the added perk of Mods the PC would outsell consoles, not even close. http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/ 59pct Xbox, 27pct PS3 and dead last is PC with 14pct of sales. We'll see how Witcher 3 fares in the console sales figures, but one things for sure, it'll top PC.

If those are retail sales, what's the point?

92% of PC sales are digital.

Skyrim has sold almost 9M copies on PC http://steamspy.com/app/72850

I know VGChartz is not exact science, but if we take their estimates which take only retail into account, then consoles sales are = 8.4M on 360 and 6.10 on PS3.

This is why almost all sites that gather sales statistics are useless to evaluate PC numbers, digital is not easy to track, the best we have is SteamSpy, but then not all PC games are sold/activated exclusively on Steam. I'm willing to bet a vast amount of people bought TW3 from GOG. No point buying from Steam IMO. GOG is DRM free and the game has been $35-45 all the time.

And that's what I am trying to tell you, the PC piracy is related to games that have poor support from the devs or terrible DRM schemes, that's the reason why CDPR is the most favorite studio among PC gamers.

And piracy is not the sole factor for less sales on PC. PC is an enthusiast platform compared to consoles which are mainstream so there are always more gamers on consoles than PC obviously.

...Aaand GTA V is back in the first place on Steam's list. It lasted for a good week, it's a really nice achievement against the absolute biggest gaming franchise if you ask me. And TW3+Expansion Pass is also on the list, so if you add those up, the game might still be the best selling one currently.

Have in mind that Steam in this case is most expensive distribution channel and just one of many digital ones where TW3 is available. I would guess it's only 10% of PC sales.

According to Reuters, TW3 has broke the 1.5 millions copies sold. If we take into accoun that Steam alone has sold around 480k copies (Steamspy numbers are pretty accurate) and if we take into account GOG and retail PC sales, I'll bet that PC version sold more than PS4 or XBOXONE. But not more than both of consoles version reunited. Still, those are big numbers.

Fun fact, Witcher 3 was top seller on PS4 platform in Japan last week.

Top Bottom