Witcher 3 signposts meaning

+
The text might not actually make sense, it looks like the symbols are simply written in alphabetic order, but not always. Perhaps it was not expected that anyone would bother to decipher them. There may still be something meaningful on the tombstones.

sv3672;n9786821 said:
The text might not actually make sense, it looks like the symbols are simply written in alphabetic order, but not always. Perhaps it was not expected that anyone would bother to decipher them. There may still be something meaningful on the tombstones.

Looks like Keira realized it right away, since she said the tomb has no inscription :) She must have figured the letters were simply decorative.

Yes, the first line definitely looks like the beginning of the alphabet, in order. Well, that's one less snippet of text to figure out and translate.
Time to find a new sign/poster/inscription to decipher.

You make a good point about Keira's words, Gilrond-i-Virdan . Would definitely make sense.
:cheers4:

Inscription on the possible Lara's tomb doesn't make any sense either. Half of it are just letters in alphabetical order

A B G D E ZH DZH Z IE YU YA IA S A Ѣ
N V P R S T U ? E B P ω K V
V Ъ Ь TS V SH V P

This can be useful:

Turns out Novigrad has tons of posters with mysterious text on them. Screenshotted almost half a dozen, currently trying to make sense of them.

One says "Kapygma Pimopideek", which doesn't seem to mean anything. I tried to identify the language with Google Translate - but the result was very unreliable. I really don't think CDPR would've put Somali text in the game. :D

On to the next image...

There are tons of inscriptions / texts in the game data. But for now I'd avoid decoding them because of spoilers, especially some more complex ones. I didn't get to Novigrad yet.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9789181 said:
But for now I'd avoid decoding them because of spoilers, especially some more complex ones. I didn't get to Novigrad yet.

Spoilers are exactly why I didn't post any pictures. :)

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9789191 said:
Some posters don't use phonetic, but rather visual transliteration. See if it helps.

In this case that doesn't really help. Good note, though! Keeping it in mind.

I think I managed to find one poster that actually has meaningful text on it - in Polish. Deciphering and translating; fun!

:victory:

Edit: The Polish poster only had one word that needed translating; the others' meanings were obvious. But hey, I learnt one Polish word!

Last edited:
SMiki55;n9797421 said:
Could be these Elder Runes or rather, like in case of our-world Glagolitsa-based Old Permic, human alphabet adapted to elven language?

It's possible they meant that. Except in real case, Old Permic is much younger than Glagolitsa, while here human alphabet is supposed to be younger than Elder Runes.

Regarding using simple alphabet as inscription. May be it has a meaning of all letters representing raw potential, not shaped in any particular form yet (referring to the departed soul). Just an idea that might fit, though it's hard to say what designers really had in mind. Some input from actual artists would be helpful here. Benzenzimmern ?

Investigated some more signposts, this time in a certain duchy. No images attached, but putting spoiler tags just in case.

Apparently the Toussaint signposts use the same messages as base game ones, BUT the text is written upside down and from right to left. Clever trick from CDPR, got to admit. :cool:

Edit: Some of them do. Ones on red-and-white poles have text that looks to be in an entirely different font. Hmm...

Now it's just Skellige that remains to be investigated in that regard... already tried it, but didn't have much success.

Last edited:
I'm up to exploring Novigrad.

Graffiti that defaces the yard of Triss' house:

The word says kurwy (whores in Polish).

Full version of the same insult is found on the other wall of her yard:

Czarodziejki to kurwy (sorceresses are whores)

Same graffiti (but mirrored) can also be seen on the notice board in Lindenvale, as posted above in this thread.
Post automatically merged:

Some cryptic word above the entrance to King of Beggars' house:

From the looks of it, it's something like "u-h-d-e-s" or "ju-h-d-e-s". The last letter can also be "i", though "s" is more likely.

@Draconifors: any ideas?

Last edited:
I think the first letter is W, not YU. That's visual transliteration for it. Also, the third letter is not D, but it's actually two letters - O and R. So it says "whores" (English this time).

You can see such usage of W for example here:

It says: "Nowhere Inn", and YU is used instead of W, because it looks similar.

Corinne Tilly has a flyer on her table:

It says:

"New Age.
Smart bastards".

Last edited:
Hm, developers decided to save time, and used the insult to sorceresses referenced above, to mean something else entirely:

From the cave under Temple Isle:

Top Bottom