Witcher 3 signposts meaning

+
Witcher 3 signposts meaning

Just found out something funny when you try to decipher what is written on the signposts :)

witcher 3 signposts meaning.jpg

I just "translated" these ones but I'd bet there are more like this in the world.

Is this using the simple substitution cypher?
If so, where did you get all the letters from?

P.S. It doesn't look like the spelling check for this reply box has the word "cypher" in it.

slothman32;n9722371 said:
Is this using the simple substitution cypher?
If so, where did you get all the letters from?

Yes, this is just substituting the letters from the font they used to their latin alphabet equivalent.
I used this font as a reference : Glagolica Missal DPG (http://www.nenad.bplaced.net/doku.php/en:glagolmissal you can download it at the bottom of the page). It looks pretty similar to the one CD Projekt used in game.

Monsters can wait, signpost hunting is more important now. They always did look suspicious with their weird text...

Thanks for sharing the info! :D

It's not really a cypher. It's normally using transliteration of English with Glagolitic alphabet. It was done in TW1 and TW2 as well. There are different variations and styles of the actual script used in all three games. Try reading many other posters, signs and inscriptions. They usually don't match what subtitles show for them.

Example.

If you'll have time to read some of these, please add info to the community wiki for everyone's benefit.

By the way, for example of real cypher used in the games, see:

https://witcher.gamepedia.com/Ancient_manuscript
https://witcher.gamepedia.com/Encrypted_document

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9731031 said:
t's not really a cypher. It's normally using transliteration of English with Glagolitic alphabet. It was done in TW1 and TW2 as well. There are different variations and styles of the actual script used in all three games. Try reading many other posters, signs and inscriptions. They usually don't match what subtitles show for them.

I'm pretty sure it's just background, aesthetic touches that double as easter eggs, strictly for giggles. Nearly 5 playthroughs...and I never considered it. :p

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9731031 said:

I like stuff like that -- especially when it's meaningful to gameplay / lore to translate. (I also miss the "runes" from the old Ultima games. Perhaps it's "annoying" to the majority of players, but I found it very so immersive.)

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9736911 said:
I wonder what various notes on the noticeboards actually say. The text there is quite small, so it's hard to reconstruct it.
'If you can read this, you're too close.', perhaps?

The one for the "establishment" Dandelion inherits probably says:

Bun in the Oven
Brothel and Bakery
(Free butter...either way.)

skacikpl : Do you know where to find images for noticeboard notes? There seem to be only three distinct images (or may be boards are random and there are more):

Is there some way to extract them? I'd like to reconstruct the text, but when they are on the board, most letters are ineligible.

Last edited:
I'm trying to analyze this "graffiti" (zoom in on the white diagonal text):

I think it's not following same rules as other posters.

The middle two letter word reads like "vo", while it's most probably "to", since V and T are similar, except V is vertically reversed. I think they just made a mistake there.

I get the feeling the first word is supposed to be "death", so it's something like "death to ...", but it looks only so visually. I.e. that half circle style letter isn't really D, it's U. Possibly whoever made that graffiti mixed visual and phonetic transliteration in the same text.

Also, there is that extra letter in the beginning (zigzag one), which is supposed to be K? So it makes it quite moot.

I.e. phonetically, it sounds like "kunath" or "kupath" if I understand correctly (not sure about "e" looking like letter). I.e. if "ath" if phonetical, first part looks like "de" visually.

Hm. May be text is upside down?

Last edited:
Top Bottom