Witcher 3 signposts meaning

+
The first word sounds something like "tszarodzijki". Possibly Polish transliteration? May be someone who knows Polish can make more sense of it :)

Anyway, it's most likely an insult (may be against Nilfgaardians?) :)

Last edited:
I figured, it's "czarodziejki", i.e. sorceresses. So it's someone insulting sorceresses on the notice board ("sorceresses - whores!"). The weird thing is, that text is written in the mirrored upside down fashion.

Last edited:
SMiki55;n9745401 said:
"czarodziejki to kurwy" - sorceresses are whores

Mhmm... :radovidsmug:

Yep, that's how I understood it as well, thanks for the confirmation. May be they mean it was written by some witch hunters or locals instigated against sorceresses. But again, the mirrored upside-down writing requires more explanation.

Benzenzimmern : do you have an idea what notes on the noticeboards are saying, or may be where to find higher resolution images of them? Looks like ones from the game assets are very low res themselves, so decoding them is practically impossible.

Here is another one:

W3 signpost.png

I was unable to 100 % certainly identify the 5th letter of the upper sign, but I guessed that it would have to be an 'e'. With that assumption the signpost says:

Littering
Stop It

:scold:

RidiculousName;n9753361 said:
Here is another one:

I was unable to 100 % certainly identify the 5th letter of the upper sign, but I guessed that it would have to be an 'e'. With that assumption the signpost says:

Littering
Stop It

Yep, you read it right. That letter is e. See the table I posted on the first page which shows various styles. Where did you find this signpost? So far I checked a few in Velen, and they are variations of already posted above ones.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9753831 said:
Yep, you read it right. That letter is e. See the table I posted on the first page which shows various styles. Where did you find this signpost? So far I checked a few in Velen, and they are variations of already posted above ones.

I did check your tables, but couldn't find an exact, 100 % certain match. The ones in the tables had either too much or too little angularity.

Anyway, this particular signpost is in the Oxenfurt harbour, but I've seen the same text (although with an additional word after the "It") in other areas as well. One was in Kaer Morhen, another in Velen somewhere.

This one is a bit confusing (sign at the entrance to the Inn at the Crossroads):

On top it says: Cross kpp

Crossed signs say:

Viz?ma (likely Vizima)
Powigrad (likely Nowigrad, but used a wrong letter).

That kpp is probably "inn", but again using wrong letters, which is also why N became P in Nowigrad.

So, to summarize, it's supposed to say:

Cross Inn
Vizima
Nowigrad

Last edited:
Another one with text that differs from the caption (at least meaningful to the settings):

Notice

By imperial edict,
Temerian rebels are
hiding in these
woods and that
they are dangerous
be aware

Grammar there is weird, and the letter they used for W, is actually "YU", but I guess they picked it for visual, not phonetic similarity. This seems to be not a rare occurrence.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9754521 said:
and the letter they used for W, is actually "YU", but I guess the picked it for visual, not phonetic similarity. This seems to be not a rare occurrence.

I downloaded the font in question for Word, and discovered that it doesn't have a couple letters of the alphabet. 'W' was one those missing ones (unless I'm misremembering), so that might explain the use of 'yu'.

Top Bottom