Witcher 3 Stopped Working (Steam)

+
Hey there,
The Witcher 3 stopped starting, even though I was playing it fine yesterday. It may have to do with my recent installation of a new audio interface (from Scarlett 6i6 to SSL 2+). I did uninstall the Scarlett drivers before installing the SSL 2+ drivers (this is the only thing that changed since yesterday). Sound is at 48,000 Hz & 128 samples in buffer size.

I also just installed the most recent Nvidia driver, to try fixing the issue, for my RTX 3070.

I had one mod (The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project), but I removed it, didn't fix the issue, reinstalled the game (without the mod), didn't fix the issue.

I have tried running the game as admin.
I have tried rebooting.
I have tried file checking with Steam, several times.
Nothing except Nvidia's drivers are installed (no Shadowplay, etc).

Here's my config:
GPU: RTX 3070 Founders Edition
RAM: 32 Gb
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Last edited:
Hey there,
The Witcher 3 stopped starting, even though I was playing it fine yesterday. It may have to do with my recent installation of a new audio interface (from Scarlett 6i6 to SSL 2+). I did uninstall the Scarlett drivers before installing the SSL 2+ drivers (this is the only thing that changed since yesterday). Sound is at 48,000 Hz & 128 samples in buffer size.

I also just installed the most recent Nvidia driver, to try fixing the issue, for my RTX 3070.

I had one mod (The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project), but I removed it, didn't fix the issue, reinstalled the game (without the mod), didn't fix the issue.

I have tried running the game as admin.
I have tried rebooting.
I have tried file checking with Steam, several times.
Nothing except Nvidia's drivers are installed (no Shadowplay, etc).

Here's my config:
I'd try running DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) which despite the name will also remove all old sound drivers and Windows Registry entries if you ask it to and then reinstall the new drivers ..... There is probably an old DLL or Registry entry that the driver uninstall missed and is interfering with the new drivers

I'd try running DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) which despite the name will also remove all old sound drivers and Windows Registry entries if you ask it to and then reinstall the new drivers ..... There is probably an old DLL or Registry entry that the driver uninstall missed and is interfering with the new drivers
I've thoroughly cleaned the Focusrite drivers prior to installing SSL's, and had no sound issue since then.
Adding to this, I've tried uninstalling the SSL drivers to run The Witcher 3, with no luck.

HOWEVER
Reinstalling all the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages did the trick!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom