Witcher 3 - Unreal Engine integration

+

Guest 3841499

Witcher 3 most definitely used some parts or imports from Unreal Engine / Editor. TW3 uses SpeedTree for tree rendering and generation. In addition to that, those SRT files I keep telling modders to include in their DDS vegetation texture mods (to make those mods uncookable) were created with Unreal Editor. You can also find videos that show how Igni FX for Witcher 3 was created with Unreal Engine/Editor -

I realize tools are still very limited, but maybe there is possibility of importing content created with Unreal Editor into Witcher 3? Maybe using some code from Unreal Engine will actually open up some Uknown Bytes for Wolven Kit?

I don't really know if there some kind of free versions of Unreal Editor that can modify content and save it.

Witcher 3 was made with Redengine 3. Thats a propriatory engine made by cdpr. It has NOTHING to dobwith Unreal engine 4.
That video is a recreation of igni in ue4 by a fan, not cdpr.
Speedtree is thirdparty software (made neither by cdpr nor epic). It can be integrated in multiple engines.

Injecting ue4 code into wkit tobfigure out unknown bytes?
Dont know what to say about that. It doesnt make much sense (in a friendly and polite way).

And UE4 is freely available. If you wanna try it out. If you end up making a game you wanna release youll have to obtain a license.

EDIT Reason: post makes sense again.

Last edited:
No, he was just interested in finding a way to enhance the modding tools. Don't get so defensive.

Guest 3841499

Witcher 3 was made with Redengine 3. Thats a propriatory engine made by cdpr. It has NOTHING to dobwith Unreal engine 4.
That video is a recreation of igni in ue4 by a fan, not cdpr.
Speedtree is thirdparty software (made neither by cdpr nor epic). It can be integrated in multiple engines.

Injecting ue4 code into wkit tobfigure out unknown bytes?

And UE4 is freely available. If you wanna try it out. If you end up making a game you wanna release youll have to obtain a license.

I made the assumption that Unreal engine was the one that originated SpeedTree because all the info I read on how Unreal Engine allows SRT file editing and that Igni FX video definitely confused me further. I also recall researching particle FX terminology months ago and it just happens that Unreal Engine used identical terms and links to them were always at the top.

Still, if W3 SRT files can be edited and saved, then that's another tool for Witcher 3 modding.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of posts edited.

If you have personal issues with other users, DO NOT take them into public threads. Such comments WILL be deleted or edited out, and repeat offenders WILL be punished more severely.

So, please try to keep the thread free of ALL accusations and other less-than-polite comments.

Still, if W3 SRT files can be edited and saved, then that's another tool for Witcher 3 modding.

It certainly looks like there might be a chance. But even though UE4 is free, the Speed Tree plugin is not and only available as a subscription costing 19 bucks a month. Plus we don't know if the implementation in W3 is compatible with the format the exporter grants at this point in time. Still, I'm curious myself.

Edit: Or maybe not. Someone answered your question in the unrealengine forum:
"The .srt file is something generated from the Speedtree software and if you find .srt files in Witcher 3 then most likely they are compiled in a way (for the shipped game) that are not editable."
Looks like that's that, then.

Just confirming, here, that RED Engine has nothing to do with Unreal Engine. SpeedTree is its own, program that anyone can use, and lots of games do use it. Most notably, Bethesda's titles really showed what it could do back in the day. It's not something that requires any particular engine to run.

I think its safe to say that reading .srt files is impossible, not only would somebody have to have a license of speedtree, but also work on recreating that part of the redengine that reads and saves the files.

Guest 3841499

If Unreal Engine can import, export, and edit SRT files without a license, then I don't understand why CDPR's SRT files are not edit-able without a license.

Hm.... SRT files contain mesh info for trees, don't they?

Guest 2364765

If Unreal Engine can import, export, and edit SRT files without a license, then I don't understand why CDPR's SRT files are not edit-able without a license.

Do you understand how licensing works?

UE3 and UE4 as a baseline have SRT Import plugin but this means that you need to have a licensed Speed Tree software to create those assets. You cannot create a Speed Tree asset directly in UE 4. Even if it was the case, then it would be due to Epic licensing speed tree to have an editor built in into the engine, since their product is you know - just the engine, not a game so having editing capabilities would be sensible. Whilst why would CDPR license SRT editing for a game.

Also

>Used some imports from UE4.

Top kek. The particles could be "Created" in UE4 because it has a similar particle system pipeline (in fact, most modern engines do) so you have a similar value set like spawn rate, lifetime, gravity, etc and have them previewed (which you can't do in TW3 since we have no redkit) and then transport your values via wkit to TW3 and get somewhat similar result.

There is no "stealing" or "borrowing" from other engines (unless an engine is actually a stem of other engine) most similarities come from the fact that during certain time there's one or two main methods of designing given system and most innovative rendering methods also get a papers published on how they are created and designed so any other company can copy the design freely.

Last edited by a moderator:

As @Lim3zer0 said this is nearly impossible. The only way I can think of if we ever spend enought time and finish the scripthook and just call the game's function to do so but I even doubt that would work since I think the game only has functions to read them.

One thing UE/Unity can be used is as skacik said for particles etc. with a plugin it could be exported and read by wkit to generate the w2p and such but in that case I would rather just use some open source c# particle system from github.

Top Bottom