Witcher 3 voices accents

+
LOFOTEN PICTURE - You can see that the place even looks like the lofoten in the game

Wow. I tought Skellige wasn't in scale and mountains were too small but...this picture shows that I was just ignorant.
Seems a beautiful place.

Lofoten is pretty old so just imagen how it looked like 2-300 years ago. In fact the first signs of human activity in Lofoten dates back to 10 00 years ago.
And while Im at it I can share a picture of Larvik.. in the game these two places are on the same island. In real life these two places are in different parts of the country.

LARVIK (LIGHTHOUSE)

Witcher 3 voices accents

I'm curious about some accents in Witcher 3, and i'd like to know where do you think it's come from =)
I'm not english native, so it's a bit difficult to identify them ^^

First of all: Ciri
Not a natural english accent obviously (even if sometimes i thought it was a british accent )

Ard Skellige people
I saw people saying they have scotish accent, other saying it was northern ireland, not able to see the difference anyway

Zoltan
Russian ? :p Or something slavic ^^

Main characters seems to have regular english accents: geralt, yennefer, triss, etc ...

If you see some other particular accent, please add it here =)

I'm curious about some accents in Witcher 3, and i'd like to know where do you think it's come from =)

Not a natural english accent obviously (even if sometimes i thought it was a british accent )

Ard Skellige people
I saw people saying they have scotish accent, other saying it was northern ireland, not able to see the difference anyway

Zoltan

Main characters seems to have regular english accents: geralt, yennefer, triss, etc ...

If you see some other particular accent, please add it here =)

Oh dear.
Ciri is Jo Wyatt. She's English, and yes, it's totally authentic.

Skellige is Irish. There's a mix of Irish accents in there, both North and South. Most sound authentic, but some are a little dubious.

Zoltan is Scottish, specifically, Glasgow. The actor is a Scot and, again, it's authentic. Dwarves generally have Scottish accents, most sound authentic.

The accents are a little more muddled in TW3 than they were in TW2, presumably because there's a lot more refugees moving around the countryside. There's a fairly wide mix of accents, mostly British. The strongest "regional" one is for the Redanians, which is a Yorkshire accent (as it was in TW2).

I've also picked up West Country, London, Geordie...
And Welsh, which should imply the character is Aedirnian, as that was the accent used in TW2.

Last edited:

Middle class English.

Ard Skellige people

A mixture of Southern Irish and Ulster Irish accents for the most part.

Zoltan

Scottish. Very.

Main characters seems to have regular english accents: geralt

American

yennefer,

Very well bred English, rather 'Sloane Ranger' in fact. She sounds like my girlfriend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloane_Ranger

American

Last edited:
Geralt's american accent always bothered me. Also the Americanisation of some name pronounciations. Like Kalkstein prnonounced kalkstEEN. It's just plainly wrong. It should be KalkstINE, like Einstein, Bernstein and every other Stein around.

Yeah ! I watched the new ConstanTINE tv show recently, and even though the atlantic pronunciation difference was a regular hook for making fun of the US in the comics, the network just had to make it ConstanTEEN.

Sickening !

(the show itself wasn't bad though)

Geralt's american accent always bothered me. Also the Americanisation of some name pronounciations. Like Kalkstein prnonounced kalkstEEN. It's just plainly wrong. It should be KalkstINE, like Einstein, Bernstein and every other Stein around.

Am I being unnecessarily pedantic when I say American accents, such as Dandelion's, seem like an anachronism for the period set by W3 even tho' there have been no claims made for historical accuracy. Just think European accents would seem more authentic and altho' I'm English I even think East European would have been a great change as I hear English regional a lot in games; and given the Witchers origins Eastern European would have been spot on. Accents aside the settings seem more (Eastern) European anyway and I'm sure there are other interesting regional variants out there. I like the Texas drawl too so have no issues with the American accent and hearing it in E.g. Red Dead helped to define that period authentically. Too much British or whatever in that and I would have been scratching my head so it's about context for me I suppose.

BTW. I obviously can't argue someone's birthplace but Sarah Greene doesn't have the typical Cork accent so my feeling is she hasn't lived there since youth or she moved into the County as an adult, or the regional accent was 'educated' out of her. I have lived in Waterford, ROI for some years with my Co Clare partner, surrounded by Wexford, Cork, Limerick etc accents and hers isn't the distinctive Cork that I hear every day. The Cork accent is very, very distinctive. On the other hand my Belfast friend and niece's Belfast husband have much stronger pronun that the Northerrn heard in W3 so it's possibly tamed down so it can be understood. Am waiting to hear what my friend thinks. Scottish accents are notieably different to Irish accents in W3 altho historically they share the same origin. Being a West Yorkshire person I can say with certainty that the Yorkshire spoken is toned and slowed down as it lacks the vowel clipping and conjunctions heard in everyday use. The Lancashire/Cheshire/Manchster accent is often confused with Yorkshire too.

Last edited:
For me hearing dandelions obvious american accent completely smashed the immersion in what up until that point was a believable world.

Top Bottom