Witcher 3 Wind Physics

+
I love the wind effects, it gives the game a really good atmosphere, especially with the sound design (which is great by the way). For me it seems like one of those winds that come before a storm, that sort of warm wind.

After re-watching some videos, it's not so much the severity of the wind, but the speed at which the trees and branches whip around, the way they lash back and forth, instead of been blown in one prime direction then returning in a lull in the wind, they whip back and forth like a car's window wiper. Most unconvincing. It all just seems a bit sped-up.

Last edited:
hmm, my impression was different. wind was really pretty for example in this vid
you can get a feeling for wind direction. quite nice

I agree with OP. The wind effects are unrealistic for wind speeds that are light or normal. It looks like very heavy winds in the trees most of the time in the videos.

And the branches sway and snap back way to fast. I think toning down the speed of the sway would eliminate the most glaring problems with the wind effects.

---------- Updated at 05:12 AM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY9fZJpWxt4

Trees and bushes shakes too much.

Am I the only one that think trees and bushes shakes a little too much?
I noticed it since early trailers. Also in very recent gameplays, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4118&v=H3qx-nTBnUs You can actually see trees movement since 1:29:00

Trees and bushes has a weird movement. Too quick and "jerky". And seems to not be synchronized. When trees shakes very quick, bushes are much slower.
I know that depends on weather, but it seems to be forever a 10000x Tornado.

EDIT: thanks to moderator to moved my topic. Now I know I'm not mad and other people has my same mind :D

I hope CDP fix the exagerated wind.

Last edited:
I agree with OP. The wind effects are unrealistic for wind speeds that are light or normal. It looks like very heavy winds in the trees most of the time in the videos.

And the branches sway and snap back way to fast. I think toning down the speed of the sway would eliminate the most glaring problems with the wind effects.

---------- Updated at 05:12 AM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY9fZJpWxt4

Indeed. I don't know what the exact problem is but it seems to be tied to engine physics. It's really weird since less movement on the trees would probably give some frames to make everything smoother. I really don't understand what's going on.

It looks great in most cases - as far as I'm concerned -, awkward at times. I guess that's inevitable, the technology behind it is probably not fully evolved yet.

Have to say at first I didn't agree that the wind has been too strong in the recent game play footage of the witcher 3. I thought it looked moody and natural too till I started seeing it in practically every video and review, not all of them but too many. I would seriously doubt that the game will always have such strong wing but the effect although beautiful looses its impact when it becomes too constant. That's when it gets to that point the effect stops creating mood and becomes a bit of a distraction, doing the exact opposite of what its supposed to, even if it is astoundingly beautiful. so I can very much sympathies now.

Less wind can also create great mood and can look really amazing. I was looking at some other footage of the game, when Geralt enters Downwarren, and there is this moment when he gets to the top of these wooden steps and the wind starts to come in and blow the trees in front of him. its subtle and great, because when you saw the game play in the swamp just seconds before, there was almost no wind, and it is dark and looks and feels humid and overcast and you can hear bugs and see flammable gas rise from under the mud and dead leaves, it feels so oppressing. you trudge your way through the swamp in no mans land, and you know their is blood in the water around you (because you helped put it there). Then when Geralt climbs a hill into the town, its bright and colorful, golden even, and it feel like a damn oasis. that's when the wind comes in over the top of the hill and plays modestly with the trees in front of Geralt as he goes to talk with the alderman. finally you can relax and breath cool air.

I hope we have more moments like that, because it was damn good. hands down excellent, so Immersive, I love it. Excellent art direction CDPR! Really hope to see more of that in game, because if there is, its going to be one hell of a game. Just hope they have't got too carried away with the wind, because when its used at the right moment it adds so much to the game, and if its too strong its flaws show.

As an NOAA weather observer at my regional airport, I'd like to impart some of my limited knowledge on this subject hahaha. Behold, the Beaufort scale! Yeah, this is literally how we decide official wind observations without automated services and various other tools.
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/beaufort.html

So, pretty sure Near Gale is what we're looking at when the trees are swaying during stormy weather in The Witcher. Living in the plains of the midwest, 30mph wind is not uncommon. In fact, this time of year its almost a given here most days. I'm hoping for variation and subtly as well-- not just full on wind or gentle breeze. But rest easy, in a good stiff Nebraska wind, trees move as depicted in TW3 ;)

totally agree. foliage animation is too strong. there must be a file or something we can tweak to reduce it. it's quite distracting

I came here just to post about this. It's ruining immersion for me. Love the game but it's pulling me out. Please add an option to scale it back or turn it off.

There seems to be some level of misunderstanding regarding this issue. Some folk think we're talking about the strength of the wind in general, and the amount of sway in the trees, when it's the speed and ferocity of the swaying that's unnatural, indisputably so; the "snapback" or return motion that has already been mentioned, and it's a real immersion killer in some areas.

Where do you guys live? because I'm in Ireland, and I can tell you now, that the trees here move just like that. When it's breezy or windy out, the trees and bushes move the exact same way as they do in-game. The larger, long ones bend and sway, and the smaller ones rustle.

The landscape in this, is mainly based on european places. We're not talking about mighty redwoods, etc from america bending around the place lol. I'm guessing it's mainly people from the US, that's saying this.

Ye people need to get out more lol. You're starting to forget what shit looks like irl, me thinks ;p

Last edited:
^ it's when there are no windows in the smaller houses, etc. So far as I'm aware. Dunno if it's working exactly as intended. But I'm fairly sure that was the general idea.

the game world is pretty big.. you've got the game a day and you're assuming it's always windy, in all places. It's fairly calm down in Velen, etc. In the swaps and and that. No wind moving the trees, etc.

Some of the bushes, though, look like they're trembling in fear or being electrocuted when the high winds really start to kick in. I dont mind the trees snapping back and forth, or most of the other foliage animation---even if they do at times look skewed on the PS4 based on which camera angle I decide to watch them whip around with.

No, some of the harvestable bushes veritably look like they're going through electric shock instead of being blown heavily by the wind.

Top Bottom