Witcher 3 Wind Physics

+
Witcher 3 Wind Physics

This game has a great ambient atmosphere to it which I really like, but, what seems unrealistic is the wind physics. For example: The trees sway too much, bend too much. The grass also sways a bit unrealistically, shame the atmosphere is spot on. This seems a bit distracting and I think they went a bit over the top in this one. Watch the Youtube videos recently and you will understand my point. This is just my opinion on it.

This game has a great ambient atmosphere to it which I really like, but, what seems unrealistic is the wind physics. For example: The trees sway too much, bend too much. The grass also sways a bit unrealistically, shame the atmosphere is spot on. This seems a bit distracting and I think they went a bit over the top in this one. Watch the Youtube videos recently and you will understand my point. This is just my opinion on it.

Yes, I had the exact same thought when I saw the Youtube video a couple days ago.
It's great to have wind, but the movement of the trees was quite unrealistic.

It's by no means a deal breaker - but an interesting observation that I picked up as well.

Problem here is not a strong wind, thing is it has little effect on characters around, their clothes and hair and that looks unrealistic.

I agree, here the wind can reach a rate of 100km/h. We have no huracans, it's not a land of it, but sunny days with strong winds is a quite common mix in La Costa Daurada.

---------- Updated at 09:00 PM ----------

Oh boy... now this... OK, my Geralt will judge the wind immersion once he's gonna pee against the wind! :p

Too much exposure to the videos... expotential nitpicking incoming.... On the other hand if that's the only way to survive these 21 days...then why not :p

One day I must do a list with the threads started with the different kind of nitpicking versus praises for the twice most expected game of the year... and possible nexxt GOTY...

Or not... well.. how lazy I feel these days?

I agree, here the wind can reach a rate of 100km/h. We have no huracans, it's not a land of it, but sunny days with strong winds is a quite common mix in La Costa Daurada.

---------- Updated at 09:00 PM ----------

One day I must do a list with the threads started with the different kind of nitpicking versus praises for the twice most expected game of the year... and possible nexxt GOTY...

Or not... well.. how lazy I feel these days?

Do it Wichat it will be a good thread to have a friendly laugh at some of the crazy critics in the forum :D

Well, I imagine it'll only happen during stormy weather and that the reason it was shown in so many vids was because the players recording thought it was a feature worth showing us. I doubt they'll be doing it at the slightest bit of wind so if it's any consolation you could always meditate til the weather is better if you hate the storms.

Personally, I'm loving the effect of tree movement coupled with the fierce wind sound effects. In a game as big and long as this, I want as much variety in weather and atmosphere as possible.

Yes you are correct in this matter.

---------- Updated at 08:33 PM ----------

No its not a deal breaker at all! I think I might be finding it a bit weird. A bit off if you catch my drift, to be honest I think the foliage needs to be improved so the weather effects will look better. Right now the game foliage is not my taste, not trying to be some graphic freak or something!

---------- Updated at 08:34 PM ----------

Yes, I had the exact same thought when I saw the Youtube video a couple days ago.
It's great to have wind, but the movement of the trees was quite unrealistic.

It's by no means a deal breaker - but an interesting observation that I picked up as well.
No its not a deal breaker at all! I think I might be finding it a bit weird. A bit off if you catch my drift, to be honest I think the foliage needs to be improved so the weather effects will look better. Right now the game foliage is not my taste, not trying to be some graphic freak or something!

I can relate to both sides. I absolutely love the fact that it's there, and it does make the environments incredibly atmospheric. However, sometimes the trees do sway a bit awkwardly. The problem is not the speed of the swaying, just the sudden nature of it. In some videos, you can see separate branches suddenly swaying in a weird way while the rest looks normal. I think this is simply a technical limitation and there's not much they can do about it right now. So I'm just happy wind physics like this exist at all in the game. I can't even think of a game that implements it this well.

Last edited:
The closer we get to reality, the more things people will nitpick. I was looking at the swampwater earlier and my inner game artist voice said to me "This water's wrong, if it's stagnant water there's no way it's going to be this crystal clear."

Then I immediately realized the error of my ways, since I couldn't even write a Shader with either tessellation OR refraction, let alone be in a position to tell a tech artist that's 20 times more experienced than me that his water is off.

Point is, uncanny valley of Graphics is approaching, so we're going to just pile on the grains of salt with criticisms like this.

Well, the wind phyiscs in Glopher's video looked at bit unrealistic at times, especially because it was maybe a bit overused. I hope there will be some mostly windstill passages as well. It's nice but there is a certain threshold when it becomes just too much.

Top Bottom