Witcher 3 Wind Physics

+
This game has a great ambient atmosphere to it which I really like, but, what seems unrealistic is the wind physics. For example: The trees sway too much, bend too much. The grass also sways a bit unrealistically, shame the atmosphere is spot on. This seems a bit distracting and I think they went a bit over the top in this one. Watch the Youtube videos recently and you will understand my point. This is just my opinion on it.

Don't agree.

You see one area of the game that's windy, and you assume that the entire game is going to be as windy, at all times? ;p

From what I have seen so far, the wind physics seem fine. I have no problems with it. It does seem over enthusiastic at times, but to me that adds to the atmosphere of the game. A video game has to over do some things at times, to make them seem apparent and noticeable? In my opinion anyway.

To me it looked amazing.

MAinly because most games don't even bother with "Strong wind" effects, they just have a normal "sway" to the foilage and trees and that's that.

I think the fact that the game has strong winds, especially with a storm or such, it makes perfect sense that the trees would bend.

I mean winds can easily knock a tree over if they get strong enough, so why doesn't it make sense that the trees would bend when the wind is strong? In the video I saw this happened during a storm, which makes perfect sense .

Nah. I think the wind on the trees is absolutely fine. I only wish they'd make Geralt react to the wind like have his hair or gear sway in the wind too. Great little detail done there from CDPR

Nah. I think the wind on the trees is absolutely fine. I only wish they'd make Geralt react to the wind like have his hair or gear sway in the wind too. Great little detail done there from CDPR

It does, at least in some of the videos I've watched.

I remember one where he was sitting on the horse and both his hair + tassels of cloth hanging off his armor were both "blowing" in the wind.

It does, at least in some of the videos I've watched.

I remember one where he was sitting on the horse and both his hair + tassels of cloth hanging off his armor were both "blowing" in the wind.
That'll happen when Nvidia Physx and Hairworks have been turned on.

I live in a windy place. Windy enough that we have wind turbines all over the place.
I can vouch that the wind bends the top portion of the trees just like it is portrayed in the Witcher 3, and it just looks so realistic and amazing. Not only that but the sound of wind blowing through the trees is just spot on.

CDPR nailed that tree bending - it's absolutely natural. The reason that it seems off is because the same wind doesn't have the same impact on characters - their hair and clothing. Also lack of leaves and other trash flying around can add to the feeling that it's unnatural. I find abolutely amazing how it looks right now but i wouldn't mind if someone down the road would add those details for the sake of immersion. :)

I totally love the wind physics in W3! To me they seem 90% natural - and that is a very good result indeed. It could become one of the game's trademarks imho. Adds so much to immersion!

I think that if the very strong winds that are blowing trees down were on all the time, that would be a problem.

right too much wind can be a problem

I've noticed smth - we all look at graphics but does anyone actually listened to the sounds at the background? Someone who did sound fx should be praised unto heavens - it's amazing! I've just listened to some gameplays and as someone who has been around ppl that make a living from making sound f/x for movies i can tell You one thing - what CDPR did with sound just blows my mind.

I've noticed smth - we all look at graphics but does anyone actually listened to the sounds at the background? Someone who did sound fx should be praised unto heavens - it's amazing! I've just listened to some gameplays and as someone who has been around ppl that make a living from making sound f/x for movies i can tell You one thing - what CDPR did with sound just blows my mind.

I totally agree. Although I didn't hear much of the game in the preview gameplay from the youtubers, unfortunately, because none of them shut up for more than 3 seconds for me to hear anything lol. (I of course appreciate them uploading these videos, though).

I totally agree. Although I didn't hear much of the game in the preview gameplay from the youtubers, unfortunately, because none of them shut up for more than 3 seconds for me to hear anything lol. (I of course appreciate them uploading these videos, though).

Anderz does, for 10 minutes. not too much in the grand scheme of things, but it's something :p

The wind effects to me is quite impressive and it does wonders to the immersion and atmospheric factor as it implies a sense of believability to the dynamic world. That it is a bit off in terms of realism at times is a minor concern to me personally as it still steps ahead of the normal static worlds we have seen in the past. Together wind the breathtaking ambient sounds of wind I say thumbs up X 9000!

The only thing that bothers me a tiny minuscule bit is that Geralt doesn't react more to it. It would have been a nice effect to see Geralt or especially the NPCs raising a hand in front of their faces like in real life when strong wind and dust created by that wind hits their faces. Also maybe they could be a little hindered a bit by the strong wind instead of just walking on like it's a sunny day. But of course there's a limit to how far the developers can go in terms of time and budget.

Top Bottom