Witcher 3 Wind Physics

+
I've camped on the shore of Lake Superior several times, where the winds coming off the lake are quite strong and a storm can blow up over the lake in an afternoon, and I have to say the wind affects are quite realistic. I also have a lot of tall trees in my neighborhood (and on our land) and when we get a strong storm they also bend in the wind.

I'm honestly not sure what you people are even complaining about. Where do you guys live? In the middle of Antarctica where there is no trees at all?

Right, back on the topic, I really like the sound and visual effects for the wind. Might look a bit off in places, but I think it adds a lot to the atmosphere in general.

Right, back on the topic, I really like the sound and visual effects for the wind. Might look a bit off in places, but I think it adds a lot to the atmosphere in general.

Of course, back to Assire-ous discussion. (I'm sorry, I'll stop now)
Even if it might seem "a bit off", I still think it looks outstanding. I honestly can't remember games with such pronounced wind physics, and they really do improve the overall feel of the game.

UK based. I can confirm that the wind/tree effects are wonderous.

On the first of the windy videos we saw, there was one particular tree that annoyed me because it was moving too much, but it turned out to have a guy at the base with an axe, chopping his way through it.

If you remember where that was, it sounds fun and I'd like a look. No worries if you can't place it though.

If you remember where that was, it sounds fun and I'd like a look. No worries if you can't place it though.

One of the three gamespot ones, can't remember which. Probably "The World". It wasn't much detail though, just one tree moving differently to the rest.

In GTA V trees didnt move at all( complains) , here trees move to much.(complains)
Holy fucking shit , damn !!!!!

I cant see trees movin on this picture, do u guys? :hmm:

Attachments

• 2624268-the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-crossroads_1407869449.jpg
    2624268-the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-crossroads_1407869449.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 66
You may think this is OT, but I believe it fits perfectly with this thread and several others.
I tend to hand out with a bunch of amateur game devs on certain website and I had the pleasure to taste the perils of realism.
Lots of pixel games have characters that proportionally resembled mr. Potato Head (huge head, tiny limbs) with primitive, two-frame animations.
This is because drawing and animating a character large enough to have actual human proportions that isn't a stickman is HARD, so nobody was even trying.
I tried to break the mold and have large, detailed characters with multi-frame animations.

The first response to a character walk animation was "this isn't right."
Now, I'm not going to argue that the animation was actually perfect and THEY suck, not really.
It had lots of small kinks I'm still trying to iron out.

The thing is, The mr. Potato Head characters had absurd anatomy and their walk animation was basically swapping stretched limbs back and forth, but nobody says a word about those.
The closer you get to the real deal, the more are you gonna get picked on for the most inane things, and you can't ignore it, you have to conform to it or you will fail in people's eyes.
I'm starting to feel bad for CDPR. They made an incredible game, probably the most detailed and 'alive' action RPG ever made, and they get people already raising eyebrows over things they should be jumping 8 feet to even have in the damn game in the first place. And the game isn't even out yet. Think about it for a second.

The wind effects to me is quite impressive and it does wonders to the immersion and atmospheric factor as it implies a sense of believability to the dynamic world. That it is a bit off in terms of realism at times is a minor concern to me personally as it still steps ahead of the normal static worlds we have seen in the past. Together wind the breathtaking ambient sounds of wind I say thumbs up X 9000!

The only thing that bothers me a tiny minuscule bit is that Geralt doesn't react more to it. It would have been a nice effect to see Geralt or especially the NPCs raising a hand in front of their faces like in real life when strong wind and dust created by that wind hits their faces. Also maybe they could be a little hindered a bit by the strong wind instead of just walking on like it's a sunny day. But of course there's a limit to how far the developers can go in terms of time and budget.

Wanna have W3 release date postponed to october? :D

I don't know but I think the grass moves too much. In many situations there is hardly enough wind just on the ground level above the bottom to make grass moving like that. Often the wind is much stronger a few meters above and trees should move much stronger and fast than lower vegetation....

The only thing that bothers me a tiny minuscule bit is that Geralt doesn't react more to it. It would have been a nice effect to see Geralt or especially the NPCs raising a hand in front of their faces like in real life when strong wind and dust created by that wind hits their faces. Also maybe they could be a little hindered a bit by the strong wind instead of just walking on like it's a sunny day. But of course there's a limit to how far the developers can go in terms of time and budget.

I don't know but I think the grass moves too much. In many situations there is hardly enough wind just on the ground level above the bottom to make grass moving like that. Often the wind is much stronger a few meters above and trees should move much stronger and fast than lower vegetation....

Basically what Scholdarr says more or less realistically answers the 'why doesn't geralt's hair move that much' question. That being said, they also say they believe the grass moves too much, so I'm probably drawing two and two together incorrectly or we're talking about different footage.

Hello CDProjekt's dudes.

I'm eager for Witcher 3 and a big fan of your works. I've been watching alot of the reviewer videos on youtube with there early access to the game. I've seen one thing that bothers me abit about the game physics towards trees. I've grew up near forests and lived in the country. Only time I've ever seen tree's swing that much is with strong winds or bad weather. I dunno if that was the case in the early access videos but I feel those swinging trees look a bit unnatural on a nice sunny day. Larger trunks don't bend like branches. Dunno if its a game engine limitation? But it looks a bit overdone with the motion. Would it be possible to tone it down the swaying?

I hope you take this to consideration dev team, also this is the first time I'm posting here. :smiling:

Thanks

Wolf

Wind

Is the wind in The Witcher 3 gonna be like the one we see in the videos??

If yes, it is HORRIBLE. The constant wind and the way the trees (specially the little ones) moves because of the wind, is really really bad.

So, is the wind gonna be that constant? (in the videos you can always see a windy climate).
Are the effects of the wind in the trees gonna be like in the videos?

It is unrealistic and wrond imho.

Exaggerated yes, especially bigger trees
but It's better that than no wind at all
and have static trees in game.

Top Bottom