Witcher 3 Wind Physics

+
So, as it barely snows in my country should I have find the snowed scenes unrealistic?... Really?

Exaggerated yes, especially bigger trees
but It's better that than no wind at all
and have static trees in game.

Yes. Because having a middle ground is clearly impossible. We can either have unrealistic wind effects or no wind at all. Right. ;)

I choose a middle ground. Those early build videos are cool to watch.. But for me those trees.. sheesh. Feels wrong when I see that. I'm hoping that they have adjusted this before the release. I won't stop playing but it will look and feel off and breaks the immersion for me.

Feels wrong when I see that. I'm hoping that they have adjusted this before the release. I won't stop playing but it will look and feel off and breaks the immersion for me.
As I said earlier in this thread, I have actually seen actual trees behaving almost exactly as they do in the game. There's nothing unrealistic about them, you just have never experienced strong sea winds in a wooded area.

When I saw the wind in one of the yts videos I was thinking that was exception and due to EXTREME whether not just a bit windy but felt like close to a tornado kind of weather and that would effect foilage as much as trees, but without playing game I can't judge if it happens to often or in unrealistic conditions. Personally I have always hated weather events in open world RPGs as they keep me from seeing what I'm doing. or waiting till the storm per say has passed. Hopefully it isn't often that the weather is so bad ;)

In swaying trees topic - I've just got a lil bit of memory flash from couple of years ago. I've anchored at Mamry lake, went to make a campfire and honestly - i've never seen anything like that before and after but trees just went 90 degrees. My campfire just flew away, yacht beside mine with a lazy crew that didn't cleared sails just capsized like some kind of toy in a bath. Yacht that was approaching us was just swayed and actually been thrown into dead trees lying in water. I remember that sound of hull cracking like an eggshell and those ppl just jumping overboard. Yeah - trees can sway..... alumnium and carbon masts can bend like straws and just as easily break. What i've seen on those videos is actually truly real. Not to an extant that i've just shared but i'm thinking that some ppl just should spent more time on the outside - You know just a bit of hippie nature reunion - than on forums. :)

Last edited:
And as I said, we have not hurricanes or tornadoes. I live in a north of the Mediterranean place and this is not a timely event and it can happen at any time of year.

we have not hurricanes or tornadoes

You have no tornados? Lucky you... Though I wasn't saying such winds could only happen in a tornado... Just saying it looked like that kind of wind gusts (tornadic wind is about wind speed not actual tornado being present... Or at least that is how I use the term...)

I didn't read your earlier posts Lightice. But yes I have experienced coastal winds. I was talking about inland nice sunny day weather. Again it was early access videos from reviewers playing the game. I watch them seeing the cool stuff from Witcher 3. So it hard to see if the player had wind or not.. but it seems there wasn't any and every shot on those nice sunny days the tree swayed too much. For me it feels wrong. I know tree move in bad stormy weather and or with strong winds like Engragerade showed in the video. But that wasn't what I was referring to on an earlier post.

From 5 to 10 aren't unkown for me.

Nothing to do with sunny or cloud skies. But but if theres something one doesn't see doesn't mean it unrealistic. I no need to lie about that or anything.

Last edited:
I didn't read your earlier posts Lightice. But yes I have experienced coastal winds. I was talking about inland nice sunny day weather.
None of the game takes place far inland. The sea is always within short distance, no matter where you are on the game map. And the coastal winds can be quite strong even in perfectly sunny weather. I've even experienced a real oddity a couple of times where it's a very hot summer day, and it feels like there's only tiniest gust of wind, but the treetops sway like crazy because there are strong winds just 20 meters above ground.

From 5 to 10 aren't unkown for me.
So not only do you have no tornado's but you also have no calm weather :eek: J/K

I think it's been up to 9-10 here also. Since we moved here, I haven't had any tornados, but have had trees branches broken off...

None of the game takes place far inland. The sea is always within short distance, no matter where you are on the game map. And the coastal winds can be quite strong even in perfectly sunny weather. I've even experienced a real oddity a couple of times where it's a very hot summer day, and it feels like there's only tiniest gust of wind, but the treetops sway like crazy because there are strong winds just 20 meters above ground.
Fair enough. Yes your right above the tree lines are stronger winds. I used to go boating with some friends when I was younger by the coast. So I saw a few interesting days of hairy weather. :) inland behaves abit differently for sure. Your argument is sound then :) I assumed cdprojekt with the small land mass tries to cheat abit using different environments to tease the players.

wichat I've experienced 8 down normally and only once a 10.

It's very odd have a no windy day. Here air is always blowing, Mistral wind at south and Tramuntana or North wind at..... the North?

And yes, branches are broken, sometimes the rest of the whole tree with them.

Anyway, It seems I'm living in a Wind tunnel by my words. But I'm in Spain, in the most turistic zone of its coast and it seems our beaches are famous among a lot of European people so then some sunny windy days are absolutly real and normal.

---------- Updated at 07:30 PM ----------

wichat I've experienced 8 down normally and only once a 10.

We reached 11 level years ago and it was a sad disaster .

As I said earlier in this thread, I have actually seen actual trees behaving almost exactly as they do in the game. There's nothing unrealistic about them, you just have never experienced strong sea winds in a wooded area.

Incorrect, but you're entitled to your opinion based on the perception of your experiences.
My own comes from many decades of experience.
Yes - the movement is 'unrealistic' and that is the entire point to this thread. Not that it's game breaking, but an observation that has been brought to light.

Incorrect, but you're entitled to your opinion based on the perception of your experiences.
My own comes from many decades of experience.
Yes - the movement is 'unrealistic' and that is the entire point to this thread. Not that it's game breaking, but an observation that has been brought to light.

Sorry but i just have to.... Someone is entitled to having opinion based on experience, but You don't give a shit, since Your experience is worth more and You omniscient person already know that person writing a post is lacking it? How do You know? Exacly how do You know that someone writing a post doesn't have years'old experience? Sorry - it looks like someone just went into Darwin's webpage and started to write how ppl living there have no idea about thunderstorms.

Top Bottom