Witcher 3 Wind Physics

+
Incorrect, but you're entitled to your opinion based on the perception of your experiences.
My own comes from many decades of experience.
Many decades of experience in what? Staring at trees? I can say with confidence that I have seen trees sway just like they do in the game. That you haven't does not make my perceptions "incorrect". And I expect that the game developers have seen the same kind of weather phenomena as I have, since they don't just pull the game visuals out of the hat if they can get real life reference material, instead. The only unrealistic bit is that the trees only seem to start to bend around one third up the trunk with a small but visible angle, but that's plain old engine limitation, and barely noticeable in normal gameplay.

Incorrect.
Where's the difference? in the perception or in the decades?
Not only that but location as well. Winds act differently in different locals... To say they don't act one way in real life because of ones limited experience is... (Not saying TW3 wind is perfect but it didn't strike me as unplausable...)

---------- Updated at 01:12 PM ----------

That you haven't does not make my perceptions "incorrect".
This.. I've seen situations that looked very similar and was very freightening when it happened..

My gut tells me bushes should be more 'rigid' than trees.
How should bushes be more rigid than trees? Though In that scene I agree they should move less, but do to wind being blocked by surrounding objects... Wind if lower to the ground should effect bushes more than tree if not blocked... If the wind is not low to ground then yes trees effected more because they are taller. Has nothing to do with rigidness though..

But take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_eRUq1PQPE&t=0m0s
There's a lady gathering maybe some berries from a bush in the middle of a village while it's swaying like hell. I don't know, it just looks unnatural to me. My gut tells me bushes should be more 'rigid' than trees.
I know - it's typical cognitive dissonance for the reasons i've wrote earlier. Wind effect on trees isn't in any way reflected on NPCs and our protagonist. It's a game so when i'll finally be able to play i won't expect smth perfect - just smth best at this moment and from what i've seen.... oh man they've delivered... @_@

This game has a great ambient atmosphere to it which I really like, but, what seems unrealistic is the wind physics. For example: The trees sway too much, bend too much. The grass also sways a bit unrealistically, shame the atmosphere is spot on. This seems a bit distracting and I think they went a bit over the top in this one. Watch the Youtube videos recently and you will understand my point. This is just my opinion on it.

Wow couldn't disagree more with you. It doesn't sway unrealistically, tress with very strong winds do that. How could you not love it? It's so awesome.

Wait,,wait wait, are people still going on about this?
But there are even videos in this thread showing it happening in real life, for fucks sake View attachment 13174

Attachments

• whoco5.gif
    whoco5.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
My 2 cents, after watching almost all the youtube videos and different locations:

The conifers look really really good, especially the smirks. Even the strongest wind bends and shakes them in a realistic manner. the rest is sometimes bit off. Especially when every branch moves defferently. Like if there were constant gusts of wind from different directions, which is ok, if that was the case, but it¨s not ok when you see everything bending in one direction for everal seconds, and then you see those smaller twigs and branches go against it and twitch like crazy.

Overall, not an issue for me. the wind adds SO MUCH to the world, the bigger picture is just jaw dropping, the way like evetyhing around you "lives".

New Footage- wind and Geralts hair?

https://youtu.be/F_eRUq1PQPE?t=4m21s

So this is the new footage, however I have noticed that during Geralts travel through windy locations, his hair and horse hair are barely even shaking....I mean, the wind is bending trees... It just look unrealistic when you look at Geralt and see his hair practically still, even more the horse hair. Is it an oversight or a bug ?

So this is the new footage, however I have noticed that during Geralts travel through windy locations, his hair and horse hair are barely even shaking....I mean, the wind is bending trees... It just look unrealistic when you look at Geralt and see his hair practically still, even more the horse hair. Is it an oversight or a bug ?

Geralt's hair sways appropriately in the wind if you've got the HairWorks on, which unfortunately still slowed down the performance considerably in the version that the previewers got in their hands. It is neither oversight nor a bug, but a technical matter.

But then again, you can't expect the hair to behave with that level of realism. Unless you wanna see him constantly pulling loose streams behind his ears and tie his messy hair every now and then. I think we're still few years away.

Can we have a "wind" toggle?

The game appears to be a bit too....windy. I do like the wind effects, but not all the time. Is it always windy in this game or is still sometimes not?

Also, why not give some of us who dont like it the option? How will it hurt the people who want it? Why not give the option? thanks!

Last edited:
Well I saw that topic coming, lately almost on every video trees behaved like during some epilepsy attack, wind is a bit too strong indeed.

The game appears to be a bit too....windy. I do like the wind effects, but not all the time. Is it always windy in this game or is still sometimes not?

Also, why not give some of us who dont like it the option? How will it hurt the people who want it? Why not give the option? thanks!
No, it's not always windy like that. Nor is all regions windy. And the reason they can't give toggle option for wind is because well, some people will find some other thing irritating and by the time CDPR is done giving toggles for all the things that a few of us find irritating, the toggle menu will be larger than the game manual.

Tree animations

I've searched the forums, and unless I'm going blind, I can't see mention of this elsewhere so...

Having watched countless preview vids, the one thing that stands out, in the worst possible way, is the animation of trees etc in the wind. It's ridiculously exaggerated. They whip around as though there's a 50mph gale blowing all the time, which IMO puts a huge dent in the otherwise fantastically realistic environment. Is this the way it will be in the final product? Has the subject ever been brought up before? I'd be amazed if it hadn't.

Edit : Thanks, whoever moved my post... I obviously missed this thread. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom