Witcher 3 Wind Physics

+
Where do you guys live? because I'm in Ireland, and I can tell you now, that the trees here move just like that. When it's breezy or windy out, the trees and bushes move the exact same way as they do in-game. The larger, long ones bend and sway, and the smaller ones rustle.

The landscape in this, is mainly based on european places. We're not talking about mighty redwoods, etc from america bending around the place lol. I'm guessing it's mainly people from the US, that's saying this.

Ye people need to get out more lol. You're starting to forget what shit looks like irl, me thinks ;p

Nope, I live in Scotland, and I can assure you, regardless of where you live, trees do not move like this, even in a hurricane. Everything seems accelerated, and if you watch footage of trees in a storm, they don't whip back and forth at the same speed in each direction, they get pushed violently in one direction, then return as much as they can to their original position, at a much reduced rate, due in no small measure to the wind that pushed them in the first place! Unless the wind is gusting alternately in two different, completely opposing directions, (which cannot naturally happen) the tree physics are out of wack, indisputably. This is not an opinion.

I just grabbed a few random videos to demonstate the point, that all trees/bushes blow differently. It's physics. The wind blows inside the bush/tree, and rustles it like mad on it's way out from all sides lol.

Really dunno how people have not seen this irl. I've got bushes and smaller trees a lot around where I live, and it was windy just yesterday, and I even commented on how closely the game got it down, when I was passing them lol.

Windy bushes

[video=youtube;cp-yY8a1Jwo]https://youtu.be/cp-yY8a1Jwo[/video]
[video=youtube;/5JEiQNFjgwE]https://youtu.be/5JEiQNFjgwE[/video]

Some more;
https://youtu.be/HQmjczT0K70?t=2m7s

Last edited:
Yep, I agree about the small bushes, but even that would only happen in storm conditions. In the game, you can see instances of trees and bushes being blown around as if in Force 10 gales, when the populace are just going about their daily business as though nothing was happening. It's the movement of bigger trees that I find most distracting, and looks most accelerated / exaggerated, although even some smaller ones have an unnatural "dancing" motion.

I dunno tbh. I can only go with what I know from my area. It's not stormy when it blows like that here. It's just breezy lol. That's a normal windy day here. (when it's windy). We get a wind storm about once a year, usually around xmas time, and it can blow trees down, and bust branches off even the huge trees, etc lol. (pretty scary tbh)

Again, I'm only going off of what I usually see myself, where I am.

I think that if the very strong winds that are blowing trees down were on all the time, that would be a problem. However, having some areas with strong winds, which as mentioned are a real thing, adds to the realism.
So, this seems to be the only answer from CDPR so far. I guess, if the way the trees and bushes reacted was ok, such a thread (and the amount of ppl who find the thread appropriate) wouldn't have appeared.

Just get me right, I love the game so far, especially the way CDPR are localising witcher - Russian version of the game, speech translation and character descriptions from perspective of Lutic. Everything is done by professional voice actors.

Seems like for some players the issue of the thread is not a big deal. But as for me - this distracts you from the game. Not the fact that the trees are reacting on the wind, but the way they react - really unrealistic. Especially when it is happening in the first location of the game, where people get their first impression.

Hope we get another answer from CDPR soon. But once again, i'd like to thank them for the great game they delivered.

The trees sway too much or more accurately, the swaying animation is moving too fast and looks weird. People can say "that's how things sway in real life when it is really windy" but the problem is in the game it isn't really windy with this happening given you don't see that same wind effect on the characters. I honestly don't get how anyone can actually try and rationalize this away in such a weak way instead of just saying "yes, it is very unrealistic but I do not care."

They really need to fix this or give players the option to tone it down. I really like they made the trees sway and I just want it to be toned down to a normal level since as it is, it's a bit distracting.

i really like it personally, even if you can see the textures of some trees bending, it give a feel of a fantasy world, different than our own

The wind...

I'm loving the game, I can't stop playing it. But the crazy hurricane wind going on ALL the time is getting on my nerves, it's just ridiculous. There's even wind inside the houses, you can see Geralt's hair just moving nonstop inside a house, why?

I live in a very green area surrounded by forests and even when it's really windy things don't move nearly as much as they do in the most calm of weather's in this game. Just make it all still and calm at times Jesus Christ, it really becomes annoying after a while. I wonder how much better the overall graphic quality or performance could be if there weren't trees and plants having constant seizures.

Love the weather in this game, got caught in a huge storm last night, that lasted maybe 20 mins and just when I thought it couldnt get much worst it did. this is most atmospheric game I have ever played. Personally I just laugh at his huge discussion about how real it is... in a game that has a mutant killing monsters for coins, the Wild Hunt who can localise weather whereever they go. Realism doesnt really have a say here. Sure the whole universe is grounded in reality/myth etc, but beyond that not so much.

This game has a great ambient atmosphere to it which I really like, but, what seems unrealistic is the wind physics. For example: The trees sway too much, bend too much. The grass also sways a bit unrealistically, shame the atmosphere is spot on. This seems a bit distracting and I think they went a bit over the top in this one. Watch the Youtube videos recently and you will understand my point. This is just my opinion on it.

When I first started playing, I thought the trees moved too much. There were even some specific trees (dead ones, pine or cedar, I think) that moved at all; they certainly don't in real life. They are stiff as rock. After patch 1.03, whether they changed something or not, I noticed that the trees seem to be a little less bent all the time. A good storm will whip 'em up, but on a regular day, I can see that something changed.

I often find myself stopping in the woods when I'm on foot to move the camera around Geralt and watch the tree's sway. It's a serine type of experience in a game for sure, one that I've personally never seen done before in a game like this. So awesome and well done.

Too strong I saw this in there preview trailers and game teasers.. Bad weather i get it but on a normal sunny day looks odd.

I found that it generally adds a lot to the atmosphere, I love it. Yes, there are certain occasions when it does look weird and 'inappropriate', but it just can't be 100% lifelike, it's a game afterall.

However the constantly moving hair inside buildings kinda bothers me, that's half the reason why I went with the shaved hairstyle. Draft (which has been mentioned by the devs) is hardly a good explanation for it, it doesn't work like that. It's more like a technical limitation I believe, I hope it can be improved later on.

If anyone thinks it looks ok I think you really need to take a walk in the woods, things don't move nearly as much even on very windy days. A normal sunny clear day in the witcher 3 is like a hurricane in real life.

Top Bottom