Witcher 4 - Dont mess it up! Listen to us!

+
That wasn't the point about the talent of people working on the game.

Red Engine is proprietary. If you hire someone from outside of the company they have to learn it from scratch.

Unreal Engine 5 is widely used and locating talent to work on it is going to be significantly easier, because more people will have experience with it.

That wasn't the point about the talent of people working on the game.

Red Engine is proprietary. If you hire someone from outside of the company they have to learn it from scratch.

Well, not exactly. They only have to learn the specifics of it from scratch. Most game development is done in C++ and art programs (many of those are similar). So most developers already know the largest and most important parts, even if the engine is different. It's not such a huge task as you think for them to learn it.

Besides, not all of them have to learn it or everything about it. Many developers have specific tasks, and some might not even have to touch the engine much at all, or only learn a very few things to do their specific tasks (example, creating textures).

Easier is often worse, and easier doesn't make the biggest talents.

Like I said, I'm also a fan of common engines, because they are extremely helpful to smaller studios, and as you say also, they are a great learning tool for people and even studios on their way to becoming a "big studio". Take Housemarque for example, an up and coming studio, or "smaller studio". They didn't have the resources or manpower to make/have their own engine. Unreal Engine was great for them in the process of going from a small studio to becoming a bigger one, possibly even a big one at some point soon.
Rocksteady is another developer I can mention. It's actually a talented studio, but I think if they want to advance/grow in the future to become one of the big studios of the world, they will have to make their own engine, that's what will make a big difference.

Now, CDPR going for UE, in my opinion, is a sure bad choice. I do hope I'm wrong, and I'd love for Witcher 4 to be great, but I'm certain it will not be, due to them using UE. And even worse if their staff/talent situation is so bad they have no other choice but to use UE.

It is possible to have a female protagonist and not be politically correct. Never have I heard Alien and Terminator be called that.
You missed the point of the entire post. I'm talking about a physically imposing, sword and fist-fighting character in a traditional, medieval setting.

You missed the point of the entire post. I'm talking about a physically imposing, sword and fist-fighting character in a traditional, medieval setting.
There are Witcher schools that accept women in their ranks. A game in the vein of AC Odyssey/Valhalla in which you have the option to play either male or female character would perfectly be possible. Does the world accepts female warriors/sees them in a good light? Hard no, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Take GOT, for example. And if you ask me, I'd prefer any sex scene to be between women rather than a man and a woman.

There are Witcher schools that accept women in their ranks. A game in the vein of AC Odyssey/Valhalla in which you have the option to play either male or female character would perfectly be possible. Does the world accepts female warriors/sees them in a good light? Hard no, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Take GOT, for example. And if you ask me, I'd prefer any sex scene to be between women rather than a man and a woman.

In the real (medieval) world, a physical fight or war fought between men and women, other things being equal, who do you think will win?

Just because Hollywood makes action movies now, where petite 50-55kg women fight very accommodating stunt men twice their size, doesn't mean this is reality. Now, your next argument will probably be "this is a fantasy game" - yes it is, but you need to root it in some kind of semblance of physical reality, otherwise one might as well play Fortnight or something.

Witcher 3 remains a favorite, because of the intelligent writing, relatable characters and the verisimilitude of the universe that it offers, which allow the player to be truly immersed in a great experience. I see too many people very eager to take that away, having learned nothing of why RoP, Willow, recent Star Trek and Star Wars, The Witcher TV-shows etc. became such disappointments.

Last edited:
RoP, Willow, recent Star Trek and Star Wars, The Witcher TV-shows etc. became such disappointments.
Ew those... best pretend they don't exist. I don't think it would be far-fetched to suppose that The Witcher wasn't the only show made by people who strongly dislike the source material :smart:

Top Bottom