Witcher copyright question

+
So Nightmare of the wolf is an original Witcher movie coming to Netflix. It is animated, and stars Vesimir. The question I have is what rights do CDPR have to the characters they use in the show. Could CDPR put NOTW characters in Gwent? Ordinarily the answer would be no, but with the new deal between CDPR and Sapkowski and the deal between Sapkowski and Netflix, the whole situation is a bit unclear for me.

Ordinarily the answer would be no, but with the new deal between CDPR and Sapkowski and the deal between Sapkowski and Netflix, the whole situation is a bit unclear for me.

If the writer of that film creates new characters, the copyright is not just on Sapkowskis end. My guess would be no (at least not without further negotiations).

The way I see it is that CDPR can implement anything from the Witcher universe (whether it's from Sapkowski's books, Netflix shows or any other medium) in its Witcher games. Sapkowski already sold his economic rights to CDPR for a flat fee to create video games based on the Witcher universe, and I doubt that they changed it. They did reach an undisclosed settlement, but it could be that CDPR just paid him a sum of money and that's it. Without changing anything regarding the license. So CDPR can implement anything from the Witcher universe as long as it's made within a video game.

The way I see it is that CDPR can implement anything from the Witcher universe (whether it's from Sapkowski's books, Netflix shows or any other medium) in its Witcher games. Sapkowski already sold his economic rights to CDPR for a flat fee to create video games based on the Witcher universe, and I doubt that they changed it. They did reach an undisclosed settlement, but it could be that CDPR just paid him a sum of money and that's it. Without changing anything regarding the license. So CDPR can implement anything from the Witcher universe as long as it's made within a video game.

I read that he originally thought the games would flop so he didn’t want royalties, but then they did well and he was pissed. CDPR renegotiated this year with him and that made the rights issue more complex. My gut says that Netflix owns any content they create with the copy right, but if he contributes in the writing then under the new deal CDPR may have a claim as it was the authors work in the Witcher universe. The whole thing is kind of a mess.

The Witcher is a good material, but time has passed, they also ever said they're done with Wticher, and I guess ppl have moved on, and if Cyberpunk 2077 is really good, then they can use it again or just acquire new material.

There are a lot of settings/era that can be used, Medieval, Ancient China Wuxia world, Wild West, Cyberpunk, Medieval with Magic like The Witcher, modern era like GTA, or whatever else. It doesn't have to be The Witcher.

The game and the Netflix series are two completely different universes based off the same books. as I understand it Neither netflix nor CDPR sign anything that said thier production had to be 100% exactly what was in the books. so if either one wants to put in a random character lets say a stable boy and netflix names him Franco and CDPR wants to name him George they can as thier agreements dont get that specific on details on what can and cant be there. As far as Sapkowski as long as he is getting what he feels is a fair cut of profits he isnt going to care all that much.

The game and the Netflix series are two completely different universes based off the same books. as I understand it Neither netflix nor CDPR sign anything that said thier production had to be 100% exactly what was in the books. so if either one wants to put in a random character lets say a stable boy and netflix names him Franco and CDPR wants to name him George they can as thier agreements dont get that specific on details on what can and cant be there. As far as Sapkowski as long as he is getting what he feels is a fair cut of profits he isnt going to care all that much.

I was actually thinking in terms of Gwent. Sapkowski re-upped with CDPR both for past games and future games in the Witcher universe. He also gave Netflix the film rights to the Witcher. This allows them to create both the series and the animated movie. But what I am wondering is can Gwent literally make units out of original characters that debut in the animated movie. If Sapkowski collaborates on the writing of the movie, then I think CDPR has a claim that they can use the name and likeness of the character. If not then it would be very hard for CDPR to use it unless their new deal with Sapkowski somehow intrudes on the rights of Netflix. Now, Netflix might agree to cross promote with CDPR as more Witcher game players is good for the show and vice versa. Just something I find interesting.

I was actually thinking in terms of Gwent. Sapkowski re-upped with CDPR both for past games and future games in the Witcher universe. He also gave Netflix the film rights to the Witcher. This allows them to create both the series and the animated movie. But what I am wondering is can Gwent literally make units out of original characters that debut in the animated movie. If Sapkowski collaborates on the writing of the movie, then I think CDPR has a claim that they can use the name and likeness of the character. If not then it would be very hard for CDPR to use it unless their new deal with Sapkowski somehow intrudes on the rights of Netflix. Now, Netflix might agree to cross promote with CDPR as more Witcher game players is good for the show and vice versa. Just something I find interesting.
that would take an agreement between CDPR and Netflix as any character not explicitly in the books is Netflix intellectual property but on other hand by just changing the name they can kinda skirt the edge of it unless was specified that was one and only that has certain skills or attributes in the witcher universe.

that would take an agreement between CDPR and Netflix as any character not explicitly in the books is Netflix intellectual property but on other hand by just changing the name they can kinda skirt the edge of it unless was specified that was one and only that has certain skills or attributes in the witcher universe.

Right, normally. But if the author retains the rights to all netflix characters (for future projects,) and the author has shared his rights with CDPR for Gwent and future Witcher games. In theory the author links the Witcher Universe and thus both companies can benefit from the others IP.

Top Bottom