Witcher Crash and Increase Va fix

+
Witcher Crash and Increase Va fix

Hey all. I just want to say thank you for all of the advice and general help that went into this forum. I have been having the same problem as many here and my game crashes after about 30 minutes of game time. I am using Vista 32-bit Ultimate w/ Geforce 8800 GT, Intel Quadro Q6600 and MSI 650i Platinum Motherboard. All drivers are the latest.I have done the Increase VA fix. It fixed my problems with the game. I played for about 3 hours with no crashes. That was great! However, when I went back into Windows and it ran really slow. I restarted and it took a really long time for windows to start-up after Iogged in. I tried to revert back to the default value of 2048, but this did not help. I had to roll back and that fixed it. But now the game continues to crash, which is unfortunate since it was working.Allow me to vent. Isn't the whole idea behind "Games for Windows" is that games will run specifically for Windows. They are designed to run efficiently with these games. At least that is how they are marketed. So, messing aroung with registry and memory seems wrong. I don't mind doing it, as stated above, when the game works. But when it adversely affects how Windows operates then it doesn't work for me. Thank you for allowing me to get that out of the way. No my question is, is there anothe rway to get the game running consistently without having to do the Increase Va fix. A second question is, is this a software issue on Windows side or is it the game developer? Any help, or sympathy :) would be greatly appreciated.Thank.

Easy explanation of your problem, redo the userva but, also, delete your pagefile, do a complete defrag with JKDefrag which is free, create a static pagefile of 4095 (min and Max) You should be good to run it properly after that :)

Thanks. I will try when I get home tonight. Forgive the ignorance. I was going to change it to: 8192:) Which seemd weird to me.

Thank you Mobidoy, however when changing the page file to a static 4095 (max and min) it creates huge slowdown on the Operating system. It takes about 2 minutes to log off and 2 minutes to log on. This was not the case prior to changing the pagefile. I went back to the default (automatic) on Windows Vista. Again, thank you for yur help. However, why should I have to change the default setting with how Windows operates when I am playing a game designed for Windows? Do you see what I am saying? If I change default settings within windows, when I have all of the most recent drivers and all other games for Windows (i.e. Crysis, Bio Shock, Company of Heroes, etc) run well with out crashes, why does a game require you to change default settings to be able to play it? I understand that may come off as a rant, but please understand that I do not have a problem changing those settings if I can play the game and it does not effect the overall functionability of Windows. That is not the case in this instance. When using that fix, it slows down Windows, but the game works. When I do not use the fix, the game crashes consistently after about 30 minutes of play time. I understand that games can be buggy as well. Daggerfall was/is one of my favorite games and it was a nightmare to play. But when a game is marketed as being compatible and made FOR a specific OS it should run under that OS's default settings.

The reason why it slows down at boot and shutdown is probably because you have the superfetch function enabled. Even if yes, this function will accelerate some of the things, when you boot your system, vista try to guess what you will do next and load some files it might need so when you are ready to work, it will be faster.... By increasing your pagefile, you give it even more space to put files in so, superfetch get more busy and get more things into that space. There are guides to explain you those things and how to set Vista properly, remember that an OS is released so that it will work good for any task you want it to do but, sadly, it makes it a jack of all, master of nothing. Depending on what you do the most with your system or where you want the more power, you need to modify the default settings so it will serve you. If you want to look up at a good guide that will explain you all that and give you recommended settings, let me know, i will point you to a good one

Thanks for the prompt replay Mobidoy. Yes, could you please point me in the right direction to recommend settings to improve performance in Windows Vista. I usually use it for Gaming. Thanks again!

Top Bottom