Witcher franchise sold 4M copies across all platforms

+
Witcher franchise sold 4M copies across all platforms

First off congratulations CDPR!. It's been quite some time i haven't logon to Witcher forum. Just read the news that Witcher franchise sold 4M copies across all platforms.

If i'm not mistaken, PC version of the Witcher franchise sold barely 1.5M copies for both Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 and the XBOX360 was released not long ago. It's a clear victory that console wins over PC by a huge margin.

I've bought 2 copies of Witcher 2 PC myself as support to CDPR but i felt the user interface and gameplay were clearly tailored for console despite they mentioned PC exclusive before the release of the console version.

I afraid that victory is always won buy facts and figures. CDPR will be slowly shifted towards a console-based developer now. With the announcement of Cyberpunk, i believe it will be tailored to console as well.. which i hope i'm wrong. Will keep a close eye for CDPR future releases but will no longer trust and buy blindly for now.

I don't know from which sources do you have your numbers. But a few months ago (April 2012) I read in a games magazine that there were sold 1M copies of Witcher 2 in the first six months. So I don't believe your 1,5M copies for both games are correct.

Naaaaaah, more and more gamers are switching from consoles to gaming PC's nowadays. As they're growing into adulthood and getting steady jobs (and salaries, those are very important) they're realizing PC's are "cool". It's an aspect of the average (especially USA) consumerist mentality, the love for all things shiny, big, loud, inefficient and fuel/energy guzzling :D That you can upgrade, brag about and spend all your leisure time tweaking, polishing and troubleshooting. U don't believe me? Think that I'm trolling? Wait and see. ;)

Actually, both platforms got less than stellar UI's because of compromises made. It's just not a strong point in either Witcher game imo. Next time they could port the PC UI out to a company like Nixxes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouu5uYvP7co

Now before I get ripped a new one, I'm not saying Deus Ex: HR UI was outstanding, just better than most console ports.

Yes, separate UI for PC and consoles is a must. I dont know what CDPR were thinking when they were designing interface for W2, since they made separate UI for console anyway.

archaven said:
If i'm not mistaken, PC version of the Witcher franchise sold barely 1.5M copies for both Witcher 1 and Witcher 2

You are mistaken.

yayodeanno said:
Naaaaaah, more and more gamers are switching from consoles to gaming PC's nowadays. As they're growing into adulthood and getting steady jobs (and salaries, those are very important) they're realizing PC's are "cool". It's an aspect of the average (especially USA) consumerist mentality, the love for all things shiny, big, loud, inefficient and fuel/energy guzzling :D That you can upgrade, brag about and spend all your leisure time tweaking, polishing and troubleshooting. U don't believe me? Think that I'm trolling? Wait and see. ;)

I can imagine PC commercials done like sports car commercials, when they do the vroom vroom sound the graphics get better.

Sirnaq said:
But console version sold terribly.

tw2 pc version sold 1,5kk units while xbox 0,43 kk units

It's difficult to compare both. The PC version was released almost a year before the console version.

archaven said:
If i'm not mistaken, PC version of the Witcher franchise sold barely 1.5M copies for both Witcher 1 and Witcher 2
You ARE mistaken. Those figures are completely incorrect.

tw1 sold over 2,2 kk units and tw2 ~1,5kk units on pc alone so pc 3,7 kk while xbox pathetic 0,4 kk. Also this gen consoles slowly dying, in 2 years no one gonna make games for them and it's 3 years remaining for next gen that will be outdated compared to 2012 pc builds.

Also prepare for next game consoles to last for decades.

Celebrindal said:
It's difficult to compare both. The PC version was released almost a year before the console version.
Console games sells differently than pc games. While on pc, people buying games even after few years then on consoles 70% of sells are in first month. For example Mass Effect 2 sold 1,3kk units in first month on xbox. Xbox sells of tw2 not gonna change much a year after release.

Edit: CDPr confirmed themselves that their next games gonna be multiplatform: pc and mac. And you know what? Im ok with this kind of multiplatform.

Top Bottom