Witcher Franchise Speculation

+

Witcher Franchise Speculation

• I would like Witcher 4 with Geralt in a story after the Witcher 3 events. Warning! Unlikely!

Votes: 94 23.9%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with Ciri and a story that takes place after Witcher 3 events.

Votes: 107 27.2%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a new PREDEFINED protagonist (not Geralt or Ciri).

Votes: 92 23.4%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a PLAYER CREATED CHARACTER (skyrim, dragon age).

Votes: 71 18.1%
  • I would like a Witcher Prequel Series with a much younger Geralt.

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • I would like Witcher 1 remade and expanded upon in the new engine (and maybe W2 as well).

Votes: 103 26.2%
  • The new game(s) should build on the existing universe. Kingdoms and characters are largely the same.

Votes: 77 19.6%
  • The new game(s) should be a "a fresh start". New exciting lands, characters, companions, lore etc.

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • I would like more than 2 expansions for W3, maybe 4-5 to expand on Ciri, Triss, Saskia, Iorveth etc.

Votes: 179 45.5%
  • Once Witcher 3 is done I don't want more Witcher games. CDPR should do other things.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
Cannot wair for the flame wars on who is more fit to he the main character: Triss or Yennefer. As if it was ever a question. Go Yen!

Ciri is a great character, but she wouldn't make a good main protagonist primarily because she's too powerful. Also, at the risk of sounding sexist, a female protagonist would be really difficult to pull off due to the type of world the Witcher series is based in.. Not sure if CDPR want to expose themselves to that kind of controversy and potential backlash.

It would be much easier for them to continue with a male character..

I'm surprised feminist haven't declared war on CD RED yet.

I genuinely don't see Ciri as a good potential lead for a next game.
She's too overpowered, for a start, and given that developers have already confirmed the intent to drop Geralt, it would b for the better if they took the chance to introduce a custom protagonist, instead of another one from the novels which would came with all the same baggage of being tied to lore constrictions.

Last edited:
Only thing that makes me reluctant is the whole plane-travelling, time-travelling, interstellar magical superhero nonsense. I wouldn't want to play someone who embodies that. I feel it's too far removed from the Witcher franchise, which is usually pretty down to earth and even emphasises its differences from typical high fantasy. Would rather play some other witcher altogether and let Ciri remain an NPC.

I genuinely don't see Ciri as a good potential lead for a next game.
She's too overpowered, for a start, and given that developers have already confirmed the intent to drop Geralt, it would b for the better if they took the chance to introduce a custom protagonist, instead of another one from the novels which would came with all the same baggage of being tied to lore constrictions.

Geralt loses all of his levels every game. The idea Ciri would be overpowered in a game starring her is easily fixable.

The appeal of Ciri is she's a fun, rich, entertaining, and beautiful character.

As for custom protagonists, do we want to remove the ONE thing which makes the Witcher distinct?

I don't want another crappy personality-less blank void like so many other games have.

I finally completed the main story today after 125 hours. That's right, I took my time... and I still have a lot of exploring and side quests to do. I would want nothing more than these amazing series to continue, there are so many undiscovered areas, characters, etc. But playing as Ciri already made me feel as a living god. No way I would enjoy playing as Ciri all the time. On Death March difficulty I had no issues at all defeating monsters and humanoids, being outnumbered 20 to 1, even then you carve through everything like carving butter without having to worry about losing a single point of health. There is no challenge playing as Ciri, every boss fight even on the hardest difficulty is a joke. You can eat a pizza and watch Game of Thrones at the same time.

But alas, the story is over, and I can live with that. I'm sure there'll be more updates in the near future, but once Cyberpunk hits - then that's that. I'm not interested in Cyberpunk in the slightest as I'm more of a medieval fanatic.

And now the eternal wait for M&B: Bannerlord begins...

---------- Updated at 12:40 AM ----------

Geralt loses all of his levels every game. The idea Ciri would be overpowered in a game starring her is easily fixable.

Opinions differ, I'm not saying I didn't like Ciri, but there were characters I enjoyed way more. Vernon Roche for example.

That would be cheap.

She's very likable, I'll give you that. She wasn't particularly fun to play with, on the other hand.
And as O said the power isn't even the main issue; she's tied to too many constrictions given by her lore background.
I already found it limiting across these three games with Geralt at times, in several scenarios where the developers gave the impression of limiting choices based on their perception of who the character was supposed to be and how he was supposed to react; I could only see the problem being even more blatant with Ciri.

She's very likable, I'll give you that. She wasn't particularly fun to play with, on the other hand.
And as O said the power isn't even the main issue; she's tied to too many constrictions given by her lore background.
I already found it limiting across these three games with Geralt at times, in several scenarios where the developers gave the impression of limiting choices based on their perception of who the character was supposed to be and how he was supposed to react; I could only see the problem being even more blatant with Ciri.

The idea this is a "problem" is a debatable issue, though. In a very real way, the only reason the Witcher's story is ANY GOOD is because Geralt is a consistent and developed character who can have deep and meaningful roleplaying with. A blank slate character is one which needs to be able to react any way the player wants and that inhibits the developers from telling that meaningful of a character-driven story with them. Take Cole McGrath, for instance. Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation pointed out that the games were seriously hurt by the fact that they had to stop to give Cole a choice between being a hero and a psychopath every few steps, so he just came off as seemingly unbalanced--and Cole was more developed than most such characters.

For me, I prefer to have a developed character with strong personal ties and connections for the Witcher series. I love Skyrim but the Dragonborn is a character nowhere in Geralt's league.

I am not opposed to Ciri. But how about we get to play our own created witcher, as it was envisioned in the first 2003-2005 E3 demos and trailers?

You would pick your "Origins" that would determine in which Witcher school you would start and your playstyle as well - something akin to choosing your class at the beginning of most RPGs (Bear school for pure warrior, Cat school for a fast "rogue-like", Wolf school for something in between etc.)

So Letho? It could be interesting to play as Letho after he escapes Loc Muinne considering what he told Geralt in the quest with him.
Anyway it would be so weird to play a full witcher game without Geralt.. But if there'll be one I'd like to play Ciri.

Edit: Though Letho is from the school of the viper but he's a kingslayer

In Season of Storm, Cat School witchers are also considered psychopaths due to semi-failed mutations. I don't think Letho would fit that description. :D

Last edited:
Naha... the world is far to interesting to leave alone for good. Would be a real waste.
Ciri, Eskel, and Lambert are not good enough to replace Geralt, and it would really bug me to have to play as them when Geralt is still out there.
A sorceress protagonist will turn the game into a third person shooter.
Create your own character turns the game into just another fantasy RPG, and there are plenty out there. If I want to create my own character, then I'd just go and play Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age and so forth. After all this is called the Witcher for a reason.

I'm not interested in any of the above scenarios, and I'm going to leave the series when it is still a true Witcher game and experience.

Understood, it's just the opposite for me.

Geralt owns Dragonborn and Warden Commander.
And I should guess you meant it as an impressive achievement...?

Beside, just to be clear, I'm not criticizing Geralt.
I just don't think what makes Geralt a good protagonist in the games is particularly tied to the book legacy.

I know, but I was just saying that for all of their power, they can be quite vulnerable. Witchers are much more sturdy and rugged individuals, as they have both magical and martial abilities..

And I should guess you meant it as an impressive achievement...?

Beside, just to be clear, I'm not criticizing Geralt.
I just don't think what makes Geralt a good protagonist in the games is particularly tied to the book legacy.

What I'm saying is that I like the fact the Witcher games have fully-developed three-dimensional protagonists with specific personalities the writers can work with.

I'm okay with the game protagonists being more than projections for the player.

I wouldn't like if that changed.

I also would like if Ciri were the next one we did.

Top Bottom