Witcher Franchise Speculation

+

Witcher Franchise Speculation

• I would like Witcher 4 with Geralt in a story after the Witcher 3 events. Warning! Unlikely!

Votes: 94 23.9%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with Ciri and a story that takes place after Witcher 3 events.

Votes: 107 27.2%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a new PREDEFINED protagonist (not Geralt or Ciri).

Votes: 92 23.4%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a PLAYER CREATED CHARACTER (skyrim, dragon age).

Votes: 71 18.1%
  • I would like a Witcher Prequel Series with a much younger Geralt.

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • I would like Witcher 1 remade and expanded upon in the new engine (and maybe W2 as well).

Votes: 103 26.2%
  • The new game(s) should build on the existing universe. Kingdoms and characters are largely the same.

Votes: 77 19.6%
  • The new game(s) should be a "a fresh start". New exciting lands, characters, companions, lore etc.

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • I would like more than 2 expansions for W3, maybe 4-5 to expand on Ciri, Triss, Saskia, Iorveth etc.

Votes: 179 45.5%
  • Once Witcher 3 is done I don't want more Witcher games. CDPR should do other things.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
The Witcher series is done at this point, and the Witcher 3 closed the story arc for both Geralt and Ciri. There is no reason to make another Witcher game in my opinion.

If they want to do it they have to get as far away from Geralt and Ciri and their story arc and the other Witchers as they can. The game should not be called the Witcher, although it takes place in the same universe. They should start with a clean slate and with a fresh and different take.

I've always liked the idea to to take the roll of an Elf who joins the Scoia'tael and the complications and moral dilemmas that it brings. I found Iorveth and his unit to be fascinating, and imagining playing as such character intrigues me. They can also add new gameplay mechanics such as recruitment, planning ambushes and battles, participating in them, and winning or losing based on your decisions. It would also bring more political intrigue which is good, because what makes the Witcher universe unique are the complex and interesting politics.

Guys,

If this series continues, and I'm not 100 sure that it should, Ciri is the only logical way forward. What made the Witcher cool in the first place was the attention that they paid to the source material. To have a random Witcher protagonist would just detach it from the story arc too much. The things that makes character interactions in The Wild Hunt so good is that the characters have so much history with each other, history that was created by not only CDPR but Sapkowski. In the case of Ciri they can keep playing with that formula.

If they reset the character structure completely they will have to accomplish the most amazing feat in the history of video game writing Carrying the story forward with Ciri will allow them to keep taking advantage of the character structure and keep the events in the same "orbit". Considering the amount of great secondary characters that they have, anything too drastic just doesn't make sense

Besides, it could be the first game where the female protagonist i really multi-dimensional and "real". I thought the new Tomb raider would go tthat way but half way through the plot they decided to make Lara in the typical helpless crybaby (OH NO, Captains dead , BOOHOO)

Well, I think that they will make exactly what we had in books - Siri will have a son, a chosen one who will destroy the old world and create the new one. And Geralt will be his teacher

EXPENSIONS ... ... CIRI Expensions...( maybe ciri visting some of the other worlds ) ?

Assuming you mean expansions...I think you are on to something. The expansion will probably be a Ciri expansion, since Geralt is supposedly retiring after the main story.

My simple rule - No Geralt, no Witcher.

I don't think another Witcher game this soon is needed or at all for the next XX years, let CDPR focus their creative juices on new IPs they've worked for over a decade on Witcher. Better to leave a franchise while it's still at it's high(est) point than wait until it becomes something which besmirches the name.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become - Batman and Robin.

(That said, I wouldn't mind a little side story or Vesemir[with hat] Expansion)

Assuming you mean expansions...I think you are on to something. The expansion will probably be a Ciri expansion, since Geralt is supposedly retiring after the main story.

The expansions will all be set before the final battle with the hunt (this is one of the reasons why they revert the game for you after you beat it. I feel that Ciri might technically be too busy to join geralt for the expansion. The bigger expansion should have Vesemir as a playable character, just to have a more archaic swordfighting style (as opposed to the wolf ninja style :p) and to give some more backstory to this great character. Maybe flashbacks that would show us the old witcher days of Vesemir?

As much as I like Ciri, I still prefer Geralt. But she should defenately be in the future game(s) /extentions.

My simple rule - No Geralt, no Witcher.

I don't think another Witcher game this soon is needed or at all for the next XX years, let CDPR focus their creative juices on new IPs they've worked for over a decade on Witcher. Better to leave a franchise while it's still at it's high(est) point than wait until it becomes something which besmirches the name.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become - Batman and Robin.

(That said, I wouldn't mind a little side story or Vesemir[with hat] Expansion)

^this

im sure in 30 years they'll come up with a good sequel for geralt but for now its better if they dont do false moves, i'd really love anything in the witcher universe but they have as many chances to ruin it as to make it better

Honestly I think a Vesemir story that happens before Geralts story would be preferred by most gamers over a Ciri story. My overall preference would be to create a new character who maybe takes up a role as a young witcher in a time where the Empire is ridding the world of mutants, dwarfs, and elfs(as an example). I am not opposed to having a feature where you design your own Witcher and carry it through Witcher 4 and 5(similar to the Mass Effect series). If a new character is created there is really no reason to limit his appearance.

Unlike some, I do not want to see the Witcher series end after Witcher 3. The progression of these games have been astounding and it is obvious that the team is passionate about this series. You can put the greatest race car driver on a motorcycle, but he is not guaranteed to accomplish great things. If this studio is smart it should keep the team working on the next Witcher for a 2019 release. Also without Witcher the fantasy genera will be limited to only dragonage and elder scroll releases that happen every 4 years at best.

If they start out with a new character then they will increase sales of gamers who did not play Witcher 3, which will become a factor if the game is released in 4 or more years. Using Ciri who's introduction is in Witcher 3 is not the best move, because some gamers get turned off from starting a game mid story. Also many men do not want to play a women for a 100 hours(Laura Croft for 30 hours seems to be the sweet spot for me).

My guess is the expansion will be a Ciri focused story. If they are planning to make Ciri the main character of a whole video game; it would be smart to test her reception in an expansion. I hope if they do use her they get rid of that fast run dodge for Geralts dodge mechanic.

Last edited:
My guess is the expansion will be a Ciri focused story. If they are planning to make Ciri the main character of a whole video game; it would be smart to test her reception in an expansion. I hope if they do use her they get rid of that fast run dodge for Geralts dodge mechanic

The Phantom dodge should be there but it should eat away at your stamina, having unlimited phantom dodge would be far too OP.

Also many men to not want to play a women for a 100 hours(Laura Croft for 30 hours seems to be the sweet spot for me).

We are not given good female characters, if there was a well written female character that is not only a boob-bait people will buy it. But of course, the sales will be affected by the teenagers not liking that. Hopefully, by 2019 we'll all be a bit more receptive :)

Also many men do not want to play a women for a 100 hours(Laura Croft for 30 hours seems to be the sweet spot for me).

Let's be honest here, the majority of those who don't want to play a female character aren't men, they're adolescent boys, a minority demographic that the industry still panders too for reasons that are beyond me.

Let's be honest here, the majority of those who don't want to play a female character aren't men, they're adolescent boys, a minority demographic that the industry still panders too for reasons that are beyond me.

Nice another one of those " Cant always get what i want so i will call the people from opposite idea adolescent boys" well played sir well played :)

I think they should not continue with Ciri, BUT they could make an open world game similar to the witcher 3 or Skyrim that is set centuries before the time of Geralt, when witchers where still high in numbers and new witchers were created.
It would allow us to create our own witcher (although many people would be pissed that you can't play as a woman) and roam the lands, write our own legend.
But since cd project has some of the most brilliant and creative writers I'm sure they already have some other projects in mind to treat us with.

Nice another one of those " Cant always get what i want so i will call the people from opposite idea adolescent boys" well played sir well played :)

If you can't appreciate a great game only because of the protagonist's gender and not other objective reasons, the odds are you are a teenage boy/girl. Luckily gaming is slowly becoming a respected pass time for adults so the pandering will be less by 2019 :)

Ciri was a major part in the novels. Most of the conflicts that Gerald was involved in, Ciri was there behind the scenes doing her own things unknown to Geralt.

I think Ciri would be perfect for a sequel or a prequel to the series. The conflict she had with Bonhart in the novels would be a perfect story.
Near death in the desert and saved/adopted by the "Rats". Built a relationship to which she considered them family and had a "special" relationship with one of the members. Bonhart slays all Ciri cared about. Imprisons, assaults and forces Ciri to kill. Gives Ciri physical and emotional trauma.
Thats just a decent backstory. Everything after that can be whatever CDPR interprets.

I liked Geralt but it seems CDPR is going to end his role in the series with the expansions. I just hope he has a decent role/cameo in the future games.

If you can't appreciate a great game only because of the protagonist's gender and not other objective reasons, the odds are you are a teenage boy/girl. Luckily gaming is slowly becoming a respected pass time for adults so the pandering will be less by 2019 :)

Well i am 31 year old been playing games since my commodore 64(tape version) and no i cant play female toons, i always roleplay at least in my head and never managed to play a female cause of that. Also i think whos adult and whos still a youngster is showing from how we decide to reply each other.. Lastly future of the gaming isnt females or males or even staright sex either, future is ability to choose which you want.

That's false and you sound bad trying to defend your argument with generalization. I simply enjoy being immersed into my character, and I can only relate to a male character. Playing as a female in a game would be like playing as a female in real life, it just doesn't interest me. I love women, but I don't want to be one (even in a game, yes).

I think she would make a great addition to the witcher series. Those saying she is too OP can be fixed easily. I agree that shes OP but her short portions in the story was actually one of the most fun moments in the game for me. It was a nice short break from Geralt's spinning sword moves lol

Personally i'd like to see them do something within the world created by Andrzej Sapkowski but progress beyond just telling another story about a witcher. I'd like the ability to play something beyond a witcher in the next game.

I'd even be happy if CDPR made their own fantasy world as licensing is a fickle thing and if they use their own intellectual property they never have to worry about losing the rights. I'd like to see how CDPR handles magic and stealth for a pc in a fantasy world. Can they write a great story where the player might be one of many different classes? I don't mind some restrictions on character creation with regards to RPGs if I get a good story in return but I'd like something more than just a lone wolf witcher story aka geralt in a different skin. I'd also like to see how they handle a party based rpg vs the solo player rpg.

I think they have done the witcher perspective in an rpg i'd like to see them expand their horizons in their next fantasy game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom