Witcher Franchise Speculation

+

Witcher Franchise Speculation

• I would like Witcher 4 with Geralt in a story after the Witcher 3 events. Warning! Unlikely!

Votes: 94 23.9%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with Ciri and a story that takes place after Witcher 3 events.

Votes: 107 27.2%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a new PREDEFINED protagonist (not Geralt or Ciri).

Votes: 92 23.4%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a PLAYER CREATED CHARACTER (skyrim, dragon age).

Votes: 71 18.1%
  • I would like a Witcher Prequel Series with a much younger Geralt.

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • I would like Witcher 1 remade and expanded upon in the new engine (and maybe W2 as well).

Votes: 103 26.2%
  • The new game(s) should build on the existing universe. Kingdoms and characters are largely the same.

Votes: 77 19.6%
  • The new game(s) should be a "a fresh start". New exciting lands, characters, companions, lore etc.

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • I would like more than 2 expansions for W3, maybe 4-5 to expand on Ciri, Triss, Saskia, Iorveth etc.

Votes: 179 45.5%
  • Once Witcher 3 is done I don't want more Witcher games. CDPR should do other things.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
Will be nice a game about the future or the past, with new characters, new lore and new places.

My only problem with Ciri being the next "witcher" is she kinda isn't a witcher. At best she's a pseudo-witcher - meaning she has the training, skills, and knowledge from Geralt but not the mutations that prevent witchers from dying of poison, disease, infection, etc, or the ability to cast signs or spells (she can unleash the Power, but it's unpredictable and doesn't seem to function like spells or signs). Now, mages also have immunity to diseases I think, so maybe as a Source she has that as well?

Not undergoing the mutations also means her reflexes will always be much slower than a real witcher's. Or does the witcher training make them have superhuman reflexes to dodge attacks and deflect crossbow bolts (and, therefore, not have to go around in plate armor)?

Last edited:
what I think would be good is to have a 20+ hour long DLC post witcher 3 ending where you play as a weakened Ciri. have an inventory space, equip new weapons and armor even change her hair style, etc. this would be a good way to see if Ciri is well received enough to have her own series in the future.

I personally enjoyed playing as Ciri, the problem is the segments that you do are very brief and certainly don't add up to 5-10 hours long in total unless you want to keep killing non stop spawns of enemies for a few hours.

If I were to guess the next Witcher game would take place much earlier when witchers were more prominent.
It's unlikely but I would like to see a future world let's say 17th-18th century. Could incorporate more modern themes like Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Lovecraft's mythos. Would be interesting to a explore a philosophical conflict of "Magic" vs "Science". Also, silver bullets anyone?

But I'd imagine the devs are burnt out on the franchise at this point. Probably want to sink their teeth into something fresh and new. Wont see a new Witcher game for a while probably.

Not sure if people remember, but before W3 came out there was that file leak. In the files, they mentioned that Witcher 4 had already been planned and our decisions in W3 will carry over so I would say we should get the next one in 4 years like usual.

From reading the posts on this thread it looks like most of the fan base are just sitting in their comfort zone and are afraid to step out of it. Yes Geralt was the star of the show but wanting CD Project Red to end the franchise just because Geralt's story is over is as narrow minded as it gets. Have some faith in the developers to deliver.

Honestly I'd love to see Ciri as the main character even though there are a few reasons why she shouldn't take the role the developers seem to be pointing towards her as the protagonist and I'm happy with that because I believe they will find a way to fit her into the role.

Last edited:
I finished the Witcher 3 a few days ago. Absolutely amazing story, world and characters! If you ask me now I'm a 100% sure I would buy Witcher 4 in a heartbeat when it does come out. Absolutely no doubt about it, and from what I read and heard I believe others will as well.

With a franchise so immensely successful as the Witcher, I really can't think of a single reason for CD Projekt Red not to continue and just be done with it.

The Witcher series made this company what it is today. Though I'm sure they will have success with their other projects like Cyberpunk 2077, but just abandoning the Witcher? Not a chance, I can't imagine that. Hopefully they stay with the 3 - 5 years for developing the next one. Sure, sooner would be great but it will have a big influence on the overall quality of the game. But they also can't completely put it on hold and wait too long, if they do there's a good chance they lose too many of the Witcher fanbase besides the hardcore fans of course. Anyway...

Story-wise I'm sure the CD Projekt Red writers for the Witcher series are qualified enough to think of another great journey to continue the series with. It won't be easy, but they have already proven they can do it. Just take the beautiful world with all the interesting characters they've created (based on the books) we now all know so well and began to love (or love to hate) and we want to see much more of.

From what I've seen quoted from CD Projekt Red about the Witcher is that we haven't seen the end of the Witcher series, but it was the end for Geralt as the protagonist. This is what Senior writer Jakub Szamałek said to IGN (before launch):
“I think good stories must have an ending,”

“You cannot extend them indefinitely, and we felt that Geralt has had such an amazing adventure, and his saga is already so long and complex that this seemed like a good point to think about an appropriate finale for the story.”

Geralt “has reached the end of his journey,” but this doesn’t mean it’s the end of The Witcher universe in video games. “The Witcher universe is a very big place with a lot of NPCs, a lot of characters, a lot of places we haven’t shown yet,” Szamałek said. “So, we might return to it at some point…but we think that this is a good place to let Geralt enjoy his retirement and try something new."

Now this was before launch and I'm not exactly sure if they still think the same way after the huge success in sales they didn't even expect. Probably they do, but even if it's really the end for Geralt then he should still play an important part in it. They can't just leave him out completely since he isn't death and him just being far away enjoying his "retirement" with Yen or Triss won't make any sense. Right? He's a witcher for life and he isn't that old! Right, Vesemir? So maybe put Geralt in the role that Vesemir had, just a bit more screen time though, while we can get accustomed to the new protagonist.

But if Geralt is not the protagonist, who can it be?

Option 1: I would say our number one candidate is Ciri. She's probably the most important character (or one of them) in the books and there are so many things I can think of already on how you can continue the journey with her. People saying she would be way overpowered because of her skills, yea if they leave it like it is in Witcher 3 that's true. But don't even worry about that, I trust CDPR to balance it out and make it fun and interesting to fight with her.

Option 2: Another option is to play alongside Ciri as a "newly" trained witcher by Geralt. Definitely not a totally blank player created character, that really doesn't fit the Witcher series. CD Projekt Red writers will have to give the "new" witcher an interesting history and really introduce us to him. He must be similar in age to Ciri to make it work for the story. I would prefer to play Ciri and the new witcher GTA style: switch between them during the whole game whenever you want. Only lock playing with one or the other when required for the story or in cutscenes. Maybe have the new witcher meet Ciri a bit later into the story and let Geralt introduce them when he's ready. He as Geralt's apprentice could ultimately become his successor in the whole Witcher franchise.

Also, in the books Ciri's future child will one day be very important. Maybe they can do something with that if CDPR wants to stay with the books. There's a mass amount of interesting things they can do if they're going this route which I would prefer.

So much is left to tell and there are so many exciting new paths to choose on this continuing Witcher journey that I'm already excited for number 4. I have a lot of ideas on how to continue, like many of you do as well that don't want this to be the end. Just imagine what a whole team of experienced writers from CDPR can do!

The Witcher series can't end here...

I quite like the idea of exploring the generation of Witchers before Geralt personally, the siege of Kaer Morhen etc,

Those who have said Vesemir.... right on

My only problem with Ciri being the next "witcher" is she kinda isn't a witcher. At best she's a pseudo-witcher - meaning she has the training, skills, and knowledge from Geralt but not the mutations that prevent witchers from dying of poison, disease, infection, etc, or the ability to cast signs or spells (she can unleash the Power, but it's unpredictable and doesn't seem to function like spells or signs). Now, mages also have immunity to diseases I think, so maybe as a Source she has that as well?

Not undergoing the mutations also means her reflexes will always be much slower than a real witcher's. Or does the witcher training make them have superhuman reflexes to dodge attacks and deflect crossbow bolts (and, therefore, not have to go around in plate armor)?

Two Points:

1. Ciri can still use Sorcerer Potions and Amulets so she doesn't Witcher Potions.

They picked her up and laid her on a cloak. Geralt unstrapped the saddle-bags without a word, found a casket containing some magic elixirs, opened it and cursed. All the phials were identical and the mysterious signs on the seals meant nothing to him.

“Which one, Triss?”

“None of them,” she moaned, with both hands on her belly. “I can’t… I can’t take them.”

“What? Why?”

“I’m sensitised—”

“You? A magician?”

“I’m allergic!” she sobbed with helpless exasperation and despairing anger. “I always have been! I can’t tolerate elixirs! I can treat others with them but can only treat myself with amulets.”

2. Ciri is FASTER than Geralt as we see with her space/time powers.

Ciri is depicted consistently in the game as a faster/better swordsman than Geralt.

Dammit, Where's the source where CDPR anounced that TW3 would be the farewell to Geralt when I need it? Or a lot of you suffer amnesia nor you had not read/watch CDPR's interviews....

Last edited:
Dammit, Where's the source where CDPR anounced that TW3 would be the farewell to Geralt when I need it? Or a lot of you suffer amnesia nor you had not read/watch CDPR's interviews....

Plans can change and considering how much more popular the Witcher series has become, it could happen.

If they did go back and do a prequel of sorts that leads up to the attack on Kaer Morhen, it would be very interesting and we'd probably get to see a much younger Geralt (not necessarily the protagonist of course).

So, do you eally think that CDPR will sacrifice some aspect of their CP77 just because TW3 is now popular? They've said they are tired about Geralt, they've said it wouldn't be smart take profit from The Witcher's world. And they've say also that if they do another game it might be CP77 be finished. So, at least, a couple of years for awaiting. Meanwhile, they are woriking in both Witcher's extension packs, (around more than 30 hours each of one), just as two whole games.

So, no. I don't count on a TW4 for now. Ten years of Geralt is a lot of time. Even dev, writers and artits need some eaned rest after working, eating, dreaming of Geralt throughout a long decade.

So, do you eally think that CDPR will sacrifice some aspect of their CP77 just because TW3 is now popular? They've said they are tired about Geralt, they've said it wouldn't be smart take profit from The Witcher's world. And they've say also that if they do another game it might be CP77 be finished. So, at least, a couple of years for awaiting. Meanwhile, they are woriking in both Witcher's extension packs, (around more than 30 hours each of one), just as two whole games.

So, no. I don't count on a TW4 for now. Ten years of Geralt is a lot of time. Even dev, writers and artits need some eaned rest after working, eating, dreaming of Geralt throughout a long decade.

They've said, The Witcher franchise will continue. Just not with Geralt.

Also, it's not like CD_Projekt Red will use the same writers and developers!

Hell, they'll do less work if they use the existing technology now and NOT wait.

They can hire more people to do the Witcher 4.

It's not a "DO Cyberpunk or Witcher" situation. They can do both.

They've said, The Witcher franchise will continue. Just not with Geralt.

Also, it's not like CD_Projekt Red will use the same writers and developers!

Hell, they'll do less work if they use the existing technology now and NOT wait.

They can hire more people to do the Witcher 4.

It's not a "DO Cyberpunk or Witcher" situation. They can do both.

Yes, they do a lot of things. Of course. Expansion packs and CP77 and TW4... all in one year! Oh!.. wait.. didn't they working in TW3 and CP77 at the same time the last 2 years? And still, they preferred/had to delay the release of TW3 2 times. I also do not doubt the quality of this fourth installment should be higher than TW3 (or criticism would be unbearable about graphics, downgrade, etc...) and in the process, that CP77 not seem the brother evicted.

If it's not Geralt in witcher 4 i won't play it. I have followed his story through the three games. It won't be the witcher without geralt. Also they have to follow the books, it would be unfair to bastardise some writers lifetime of work.

---------- Updated at 10:20 PM ----------

Ciri IS a witcher. In "Something more" short story Geralt sais true children taken by Law of Suprise doesn't need Trial of Grasses. In last book, Cirilla killed Leo Bonhart - bounty hunter who was better in swordmanship than witchers and was collecting their medallions. Ciri has taken medallions. One of them, with Wolf, she has given to Geralt. Second of them, with Cat, she put on her neck and became the absolutellyüberfuckerbadass witcher!
Ciri is not a witcher, She never took the potions or did the trial.

If it's not Geralt in witcher 4 i won't play it. I have followed his story through the three games. It won't be the witcher without geralt. Also they have to follow the books, it would be unfair to bastardise some writers lifetime of work.

Ironically, this is exactly why from a writing standpoint, not using Geralt as the protagonist would allow CDPR more freedom in coming up with a story that doesn't contradict the written material in the books.

If they make a 4th game with a new protagonist, it's a blank slate. They don't have to worry about existing lore about the character, or about existing relationships he/she has with NPCs. They can craft their own story without much concern about stepping on existing toes.

More and more, I want a new protagonist. And when I say new, I mean brand new character, not just making Ciri the new protagonist. It gives the writers more creative freedom to take the story in whatever direction they want, without having to worry about contradicting the books or even the previous Witcher games.

I would prefer a customisable character, that's the main flaw of TW series for me. Other RPGs are great because you can roleplay different characters, not be set with one.

The characters are what make the witcher games. if you want to play a faceless hero go play a bioware politically correct rpg.

---------- Updated at 10:30 PM ----------

Ironically, this is exactly why from a writing standpoint, not using Geralt as the protagonist would allow CDPR more freedom in coming up with a story that doesn't contradict the written material in the books.

If they make a 4th game with a new protagonist, it's a blank slate. They don't have to worry about existing lore about the character, or about existing relationships he/she has with NPCs. They can craft their own story without much concern about stepping on existing toes.

More and more, I want a new protagonist. And when I say new, I mean brand new character, not just making Ciri the new protagonist. It gives the writers more creative freedom to take the story in whatever direction they want, without having to worry about contradicting the books or even the previous Witcher games.
The witcher is based on a Sapkowski books. They can't just bastardise his novels. You could easily make prequels to the witcher series. There's so much that happens before the witcher 1. Fucking around with the lore is something EA/bioware do

The witcher is based on a Sapkowski books. They can't just bastardise his novels. You could easily make prequels to the witcher series. There's so much that happens before the witcher 1. Fucking around with the lore is something EA/bioware do

How is making an original character and a story that doesn't contradict the novels/previous games "fucking around with the lore"? They can maintain the worldstate that's in the novels/previous games, while expanding on their own take on things with a new character.

It's like saying every single Star Wars game has to involve you playing as Luke Skywalker. If a Star Wars game is made where the protagonist is a brand new character, somehow that "fucks with the lore" of what happened in the movies? No it doesn't, as long as the story doesn't present something that completely contradicts what we saw in the films.

As long as the new story doesn't change/alter things that happened in the novels, it's not bastardizing anything.

If CDPR follows its trend to use a pre-existing character for the next installment then it would most likely mean that Ciri is the next protagonist, she may not be a mutant, but she is still a Witcher, she trained as one in her early years and depending on the ending Geralt teaches Ciri everything he knows. the problem is with the difference of the endings CDPR would have to get creative to link them all up into one story or chose one ending as their canon ending.

At the very least if CDPR does decide to make a new protagonist from scratch then it would have to be a Witcher (hopefully a young one 25ish from the events of wild hunt), who has a heavy backstory that is discovered through lots of dialogue (not just information on a character page). If this is the case I would still like Ciri to play a main role in the next installment as a romantic option/companion and not just a stupid cameo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom