Witcher Franchise Speculation

+

Witcher Franchise Speculation

• I would like Witcher 4 with Geralt in a story after the Witcher 3 events. Warning! Unlikely!

Votes: 94 23.9%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with Ciri and a story that takes place after Witcher 3 events.

Votes: 107 27.2%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a new PREDEFINED protagonist (not Geralt or Ciri).

Votes: 92 23.4%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a PLAYER CREATED CHARACTER (skyrim, dragon age).

Votes: 71 18.1%
  • I would like a Witcher Prequel Series with a much younger Geralt.

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • I would like Witcher 1 remade and expanded upon in the new engine (and maybe W2 as well).

Votes: 103 26.2%
  • The new game(s) should build on the existing universe. Kingdoms and characters are largely the same.

Votes: 77 19.6%
  • The new game(s) should be a "a fresh start". New exciting lands, characters, companions, lore etc.

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • I would like more than 2 expansions for W3, maybe 4-5 to expand on Ciri, Triss, Saskia, Iorveth etc.

Votes: 179 45.5%
  • Once Witcher 3 is done I don't want more Witcher games. CDPR should do other things.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters

Guest 3790676

I like the idea of creating a dark new franchise, like Vampire the Masquerade, set in Eastern Europe.

Kinda like "The Secret World", but single player RPG...

Last edited by a moderator:
CD Project could make a The Witcher Prequel "Rise of the White Wolf"?

Hey guys, CDPR already said that The Witcher 3 will be the last chapter of the legend with Geralt as a protagnist. Maybe there aren't gonna be any new games with Geralt, maybe even no Witcher 4, but i wonder if they couldn't make a Witcher Prequel that would explore Geralt past and how he became a witcher.

Plot of the game as you could probably guess could be Geralts way of becoming a witcher. How he got to Kaer Morhen as a kid, how he underwent the trials or how he met all the other characters. I guess a game like this could really be a huge success.

I know that the Witcher books are some kind of "prequel" but the game could even explore what happened even before the story of the first book. The appropriate title to this prequel could be something like "Rise of the White Wolf".

What do you guys think?

P.S. Sorry for my english ;-)

With the huge success of TW3 I find it hard to believe they'd be totally done with the witchier universe. Id love another game with Geralt but if not with him I think a game staring Vesemir in his younger years would be cool (maybe some scenes of him training Geralt?)

I'd absolutely love the idea of having a prequel as the next game. A game which is more about the depth of the books would probably be the smartest idea if CDPR do decide if they want to create another game with Geralt as the protagonist. Though some details in the books isn't canon with the actual games. All in all I'd love to see a prequel game which either goes before the novels or plays out in the novels.

Because honestly when you've read through the books or still are atleast I got the sudden idea; "I wish CDPR turned these wonderfull novel scenes into a game". Would be quite interesting to play through them though, train Ciri, play as Ciri whilst she undergoes her training and joins The Rats, Thanedd, battle for the bridge of the Yaruga. The books literally follows Geralt as he tries to find Ciri and showing glimps of Ciri's current stationary life, that's a good mixture and perfect for a game. Though it'd be the exact same plot as The Witcher 3, Geralt looking for Ciri. That'd probably not be very interesting and new giving that The Witcher 3's plot surrounded that very idea.

FINAL POLL - Witcher 4 + Universe Future - One Poll to Rule Them All

Here we go. The all inclusive (?) poll for the future of The Witcher Universe.

I made a poll previously and it ended up way more popluar that I thought it would be, had I known it would be so popular I would have given more thought to the options! There were complaints that it was biased and that I didn't include enough options, so I'm going to try again.

Let's see if we can't create the ultimate poll to deal with the future of the witcher universe! :)

Please note 1: The poll is MULTIPLE OPTIONS, you can vote for more than one option, BUT please take care. CDPR won't have the resouces to do everything and can't develop more than one big game in the witcher universe at any given time... so don't click all the boxes... choose wisely how you would like CDPR to allocate their time.

Please note 2: CDPR themselves have said that "Geralt's story has ended", this is not my opinion but their statement. If you still want to vote for Witcher 4 with Geralt after the timeline of Witcher 3 you can do so, but it's probably unlikely to happen.

On to the options:

1. I want Witcher 4 with Geralt in a story takes place after Witcher 3. (Warning! This is unlikely to happend according to CDPR!)

2. I want Witcher 4 with Ciri in a story that takes place after Witcher 3.

3. I want Witcher 4 with a new PREDEFINED protagonist (not Geralt or Ciri).

4. I want Witcher 4 with a PLAYER CREATED CHARACTER (skyrim, dragon age).

5. I don't want Witcher 4 right now but I would like a prequel series of what happend in the early days when Geralt was much younger and vesemir was in his prime.

6. Not sure about Witcher 4 or a prequel series right now but I would like Witcher 1 remade and expanded upon in the new engine (and maybe witcher 2 as well).

7. I want the new game(s) to build upon the existing universe. I want the companions, kingdoms and characters in the world to be largely the same.

8. I want the new game to be "a fresh start". New exciting lands, new weapons and armor, interesting companions, new lore and creatures.

9. I would like more than 2 expansions for Witcher 3, maybe 4-5 that expands on for instance Ciri, Triss, Saskia, Iorveth and other notable characters plus some monsters we haven't seen. (Warning! This options will likely delay any other option(s) you've picked above)

10. I'm a boring person. Once Witcher 3 and the expansions are done I don't want any more Witcher games.

Vote your heart out! :guitar:

Last edited:
There is no poll and option number 9 is not clear. Do you mean expansions with playable Geralt that focus on the mentioned characters or expansions with the mentioned characters as the protagonists?

Edit: If I want more Geralt expansions taking place in new areas I don't really feel represented in this poll. Option number 9 seems to focus on characters. You should make another poll option or make nr. 9 it more neutral.

Last edited:
#3. I'd go very early prequel. Show what the world was like shortly after the Conjunction, when monsters start appearing in the world, and the first mages are just starting to use magic, and everything is in chaos. Maybe make the story follow the events leading to the creation of the first witcher(s).

None of the existing characters (although maybe one or two of the oldest/most powerful mages in the series can make an appearance as their younger, pre-magic selves, but only as a supporting character).

The next game should be a very early prequel. Show the immediate aftermath of the Conjunction, the discovery of magic and emergence of the first magic users, and so on. Explore the events leading to the creation of the first witcher(s), and whatever dire straights pushed people to the conclusion that it was ethically acceptable to subject children to dangerous alchemical experiments in the name of creating a better monster hunter. Those must have been interesting times, and should give plenty of opportunity for keeping with the 'shades of gray' storytelling style.

I see Ciri get bought up a lot as a future protagonist. I have to wonder if those voting for this actually know what they're asking for. I love Ciri in this game, mostly because I role played as Geralt and loved her as a daughter, but playing as her is a completely different experience. From a gameplay perspective, being able to use her OP powers would be interesting, but story wise I don't see anything worth continuing, other than a prequel where we explore her time with the Wild Hunt, but I'd much rather play as Geralt when he was forced to work for Eredin. There's also the matter of using female protagonist in a major AAA franchise, even in this day and age it's a risky proposition. It has nothing to do with sexism either, just majority taste.

CDPR has to consider all these points when deciding who takes over Geralt's place in the next Witcher game, so I'm not sure a few polls here would be enough.

Now, could a Ciri fan here please put away the fanboyism and provide mature and informative reasons as to why she should be the next protagonist (taking into account all my aforementioned points)? I would love to hear it.

Last edited:
There's also the matter of using female protagonist in a major AAA franchise, even in this day and age it's a risky proposition. It has nothing to do with sexism either, just majority taste..
Exactly for that reason it should be Ciri. CD Projekt have shown in the past that they are willing to make bold choices. To make Ciri the next protagonist wouldn't be the boldest.

Geralt of Rivia all the way. His character is spot on for this franchise.
Ciri could not fill his shoes in my opinion. Now don't get me wrong, like all i am a fan of all characters in game/books. Especially Yennefer. About gameplay,
when playing Ciri the way she is now, it seems very overpowered, not realy challenging and besides she is not realy a witcher. About personality, Ciri could
never be like Geralt, she lacks in all areas in my opinion. It is hard to explain honestly. With Geralt everything is spot on, everything adds up, from his looks
to his voice, his behaviour, his neutrality and so on.
As i said before, my vote goes to a witcher 4 prequel, with Geralt as main protagonist. Story : Geralt as boy on trail of grasses and on to his later years (he meet various poeple in his life, like Calanthe, Ciri's grandmother, or when he and Dandelion meet Yennefer for the first time). Anyway that is just what i think.
If a W4 would ever come to life in the future :)

Exactly for that reason it should be Ciri. CD Projekt have shown in the past that they are willing to make bold choices. To make Ciri the next protagonist wouldn't be the boldest.

It really depends on the franchise. Female protagonists can work, but it needs to be approached very carefully. Something like Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot is a good example, since that franchise has historically always had Lara as the lead, and the reboot bringing awesome gameplay elements to it to make it really shine.

The Witcher franchise however, is heavily based on role playing a type of character. We all love to be be a badass Witcher slaying monsters and sleeping with women. The dating aspect of this franchise is actually massive, as evident by the Triss and Yen threads here. How would that translate with Ciri as the lead? Sure she can be badass in combat, but with relationships with other characters and lovers, that is going to be a tough sell for the heterosexual male fanbase.

Not saying it wouldn't work, but from what I've seen so far, the majority of people suggesting Ciri to be the next protagonist are just gushing fanboys/girls who actually haven't thought very carefully about their request.

The only way I see it working is if they take the Mass Effect approach and have a protagonist with a customisable story and sex. Which means no Ciri, since she is a story based character.

Last edited:
The next game should be a very early prequel. Show the immediate aftermath of the Conjunction, the discovery of magic and emergence of the first magic users, and so on. Explore the events leading to the creation of the first witcher(s), and whatever dire straights pushed people to the conclusion that it was ethically acceptable to subject children to dangerous alchemical experiments in the name of creating a better monster hunter. Those must have been interesting times, and should give plenty of opportunity for keeping with the 'shades of gray' storytelling style.

Conjunction of Spheres - 1500 years ago
First Landing, Jan Bekker subjects the Force to his will, Nordlings start to colonize the Continent - 500 years ago
First witchers appeared - 300 years ago

I think putting all those events in single game would be a bit problematic :p

Last edited:
I think CDPR should stick with their strengths of using a protagonist that is predefined. Which means that Ciri would be the best candidate to take the leading role. she may not be a mutant but she is still a Witcher. They just need to find a way to tie all the Witcher 3 endings into one story that makes sense and of course have her abilities weakened at the start of the next game. She can keep the Witcher combat skill tree, but replace the Signs skill tree with an Elder Blood one and for the Alchemy skill tree keep the Witcher oils and bombs but replace the Witcher potions with sorceress ones.

failing that I think CDPR should create a new (young Witcher) protagonist that has a heavy rich backstory which is mentioned throughout the next game, however would still be nice if Ciri has a big part in it rather than just a shitty cameo. something like what Triss and Yennefer have been for Geralt.

Anyone interested in a witcher game set in modern day?

Like the show supernatural almost? Hunting monsters in a wide open world, modern cities, etc? New characters and storylines obviously.

You may be happy once you find secret world.

They rely heavily on 'spooky because you believe it is' hooks which is kinda lame but monsters in modern day is what it does.

You may be happy once you find secret world.

They rely heavily on 'spooky because you believe it is' hooks which is kinda lame but monsters in modern day is what it does.

Unfortunately its pc only and mmo. Im a console only gamer and I hate mmos. It could have made a great single player rpgt

If it required that the player keep their activities hidden, something along the lines of Vampire Bloodlines and Masquerade violations then I'd be interested. If the player had to clean up their traces of activity I'd be interested. We've had having monsters a normalised and standard part of life in the world that we inhabit within The Witcher. I'd love to see (if this were to become a reality) society shift and change to the point where they believe monsters have been eradicated, where humanity believes itself to be the apex predator and that world view to be so fragile that if monsters were to have a widely known resurgence the whole society would fall to shit. The utilisation and spreading of monsters by factions looking to undermine that status quo and the question of a Witchers' neutrality could tie into that nicely - you've got small and big picture agendas in that respect, shades of grey are present and you've got the questioning of a Witchers' identity and how they even present themselves to the world, a world that doesn't even see a need for them to exist. Having the Witcher now be a covert figure could change up the dynamics in an interesting manner.

Just transposing the same mechanics to a different time period though? No thanks.

No, i meant what you suggested. The world would have changed too . The politics, even the monsters. Hell maybe set after a second conjunction. You could go many routes with the dtory

Top Bottom