Witcher MMO?

+
An MMO in the Witcher universe doesn't sound bad if done properly which I agree could be really difficult. Only I believe the timeline should be different, namely, it should be set before Geralt's time when Schools were ok and operational across the known world.

I sometimes feel sorry for people's ability to think simply. I see people debating that the witcher has no scope to make an MMORPG, however the central theme is already an RPG in itself... If the Player starts inside the Wizards' school and was developing little by little, first hunts and even classes inside of school... not just as a tutorial, but as an immersion in the world. The school could come under attack and students could be forced to defend and look for ways around the world to fight evil. It would be the scope to create 5-player dungeons and even raids... to kill a big villain.

It would definitely be the ultimate WOW killer... Because with so many hours of immersion, all that's missing is the common sense to do this. Because even if it charged a monthly fee to play, it would have millions of players worldwide and it would be the biggest hype in history.

having each school its attribute and necessary quests. for sure i would be among the school viper.

Idk if it's considered "MMO" but I myself have been pulling this kind of ideas of Witcher Multiplayer that very much like a mix of MHW, Nioh, & a bit of Rogue-lite storytelling. Basically it's gonna be titled "THE WITCHERS." It's simple & yet on point LOL

OVERALL DETAILS:
- A cooperative multiplayer "Monster Hunt" Action RPG. yes, basically a Witcher + MHW, focus more about professional monster hunting elements.
- The co-op mode feature up to 3 players.
- The game set in the golden age of Witchers where Witcher schools are still at its prime.
- inspirations: The Witcher series, MHW, Nioh, Hands of Fate, Tainted Grail: Conquest, (recent) The Witcher: Old World.
- It will still be a story/narrative driven game, maybe some role playing elements of multiple choices & endings. There will be 2 narrative design, STORY CAMPAIGN mode & DECK OF STORIES mode.
- STORY CAMPAIGN mode. A more of introductory campaign to the world of Witchers & its professions, including the world building, bestiary, etc.
- DECK OF STORIES mode. It's a layered dungeon storytelling elements inside a monster quest picked by players where the paths relied upon hundreds of event cards. These event cards appeared on the map, there will be a must & optional event cards. These event cards will provide players a combinations of stories & impactful choices that could either provide advantages & disadvantages later on the exploration/mission. In co-op mode, the picked choices decided on highest numbers of players that picked it.
- It's not "fully open world," but I think it should be more like MHW with dozens of unique big open areas & stages. Again, like MHW. The areas will feature places across the whole continent & then some more...
- Because Witcher Monsters are varied & not just a simple wild animals. There will be a lot of classifications & even more detective works before the hunt/quest begin. (details below)
- There are a single player offline mode (include story) & online mode.
- No rigid class system, but player will choose different type of weapons & different type of Witcher schools (moveset, skills, etc)
- POSSIBLE LORE BREAKING. There will be some Witcher schools that provide female witchers. (details below)

QUEST/MISSION system:
- There will be 4 general sections of a "normal" monster hunt quests. this are:
1. Preparation & Meditation camps. Player prepare/meditate themselves for the quest, can be happen in cities/schools & the camps in the maps.
2. Story Event Cards. There will be mandatory 1 string of event cards & multiple (1-4) small/optional event cards.
3. Hunting Trails events. There will be a 1 mandatory trail events that provide additional rewards to the quest.
4. Monster fight. Player fight monster
- time limit: 30 - 90 min

THE CLASS SYSTEM:

Since it's basically just all Witchers, the class system is more about Main Weapon Types & Witcher Schools. Witcher Schools will provides unique movesets, skill tree, & mutation tree.

Main Weapon Types:
- Longsword: basically the default of Witcher games. very much a balance type.
- Dual arming sword & dagger: Agile & straight forward type. Imagine Cat School Witcher style.
- Greatsword: Not slow, heavy stamina, big sweep attacks, like a proper IRL greatsword. Imagine the Odachi from Nioh games.
- Saber (turkish/polish saber): have a unique style of turkish & polish saber MA.
- Swordstaff (Svärdstav): the sword-like Scandinavian polearm weapons, similar to nagamaki or partisan or pudao. Half stick & half blade/sword.
- Bardiche: the front heavy type polearm axe weapon.

Witcher Schools:
- School of Wolf.
will provide male only witchers.
- School of Cat. will provide both male & female witchers. This is currently a semi canon thing.
- School of Bear. will provide male only witchers.
- School of Griffin. will provide male only witchers.
- School of Manticore. will provide male only witchers.
- School of Crane. will provide both male & female witchers. The school is canon. The bit of female witchers totally non canon to books/games.
- School of Siren (new). will provide female only witchers. My own creation of mysterious female only witchers, totally non canon to books/games.
- School of Spider (new). will provide both male & female witchers. Same thing with School of Siren, totally non canon to books/games.

Just no, ESO was released in 2014, and theres nothing good on the sight. Its no brainer MMORPG is dead.

I figured because theres so much Drama in game industry, maybe CDPR should focus on Drama games/RPG. Drama is massive business if you think books, tv-shows, movies etc.

Just a post to see how many would enjoy this idea.
A friend and I thought that it would be amazing to have an online multiplayer Witcher game.
Where you could choose to be a witcher, in a school of your choice. Or to be mage or sorceress. Or even an occupation like being a merchant or blacksmith.
If you were a merchant you'd have to organise appropriate trade routes and supply. And with a blacksmith, to work on your craft to reach a master level.

Hi all,

I'm "The Witcher" Saga player (Excluded Gwent); I thought that it could be a good idea suggest to developers, following the times that run, to create a new MMORPG based on The Witcher Story, maybe called "The WItcher Online" a world where anyone can create an own character and decide how to develop it, for example, the characters, when created, come without class. During story, we can decide if make it a :
  1. Mage/Witch [in this case the main trainer NPC could be Yennefer]
  2. Witcher [in this case the main trainer NPC could be Geralt or Vesemir]
  3. Bard [in this case the main trainer NPC could be Ranuncolo].
We can choose between some races like:
  1. Human
  2. Elf
  3. Mid-Elf
  4. Vampire
  5. Dryad
  6. Dwarf...
it can be implemented a PVP and Cooperative PVE with Raids. Also races and classes are an example but developers can increase number of these categories. Increase contents, etc..
An open world like Final Fantasy XIV and WoW based on The Witcher would be great.

I'm pretty sure the idea has been floated and people have already expressed joy or anger over it, however I've never been a part of the forums and I'd like to toss out my idea for it.

First I'd like to preface this with the fact that I am not saying this should take the place of any solo series. ( A Ciri Witcher series is a must have and should be made at once.)

I'd like this to be a story that takes place a hundred or two years after the events of Witcher 3. The world is suffering a dark age because Geralt is long gone and there are no more witchers to fight monsters. This has allowed for insane populations of monsters. Vampires, werewolves, ghouls, goblins, whatever. The north is a ghost land and what little remnants of human villages that remain are on the brink of being taken over.

To the south the Lodge of Sorceresses has taken over and are protecting humans from the monsters moving in, however at great expense. Those who can not afford the tax have to give up a child to servitude or be exiled north.

Skellige wages war against the Lodge and they constantly raid coastal villages in the south. They also smuggle people out who don't want to be under the lodge's control.

A brave adventurer and his team managed to make it to Kaer Morhen where they found the long lost art of making witchers and immediately undergo the mutations.
They bring a glint of light in the darkness that surrounds the north. They start killing monsters saving villages and recruiting more witchers.

Do you help save humanity as a newly recruited Witcher? Do you try to upend the lodge's scheming and evil plots as a sorcerer/sorceress? Do you brave taking on the Lodge and try freeing the people of the south as a Skellige Berserker? Do you find solace in the woods away from conflict as a druid?

Classes:
Witcher
Sorcerer/sorceress
Berserker
Druid

sub classes
Witcher: Alchemist, Swordsman, Signs(until we get a better name) Time mage (Ciri)
Sorcerer/sorceress: Necromancer (Yen) Blow stuff to hell (Triss) illusions (Keira)
Berserker: TBD
Druid: TBD
First let me say that I've been thinking very similar, with just few differences.

Regarding your post, specially pointing to the timespace of events, I would suggest that this mmorpg should take place Before the destruction of genes (before the attack to the witchers castle), for this reason:

Independently of the producers and gamers choices, Corolla is a key character in the saga

She's that special and specific soul ment to have both the power and the "good hearth cousciousness" to keep the balance and "solve the matter once and for all".

What I mean is that the scenario described by you for an eventual witcher mmorpg, would automatically mean that her soul purpose were not accomplished.

And since I started knowing Ciri story, character and all the background, this would be out of the line, even in the most difficult timeline ever.

I honestly believe that a mmorpg starting before the witchers castle attack, also before the conjunction of the spheres, or even better, starting with only elves, and developed time by time with expansions like Wow did, would end up being a such better creation in all aspects, story, playtrought and the players enthusiasm while the story is being lived and partecipated from the beginning to the end.

I do really believe this would and up being the best mmorpg ever, if developed in the best way (specially without loosing the connection with the world, ambience and story).

The end of it (the final endgame) would be in fighting other realms beings (like the wild Hunt, but there can be more) in other spheres, and "closing the rifts" in all of those, after completing long but satisfying questlines and playing trought dungeons, heroics and raids maybe.
And of course Ciri should be the key, at least in the moorpg story, to all of these becoming possible.

An idea is that she could be like "the leader" that all other heroes (players with different classes) would follow to make this happen.

If they can took all the best parts of Wow playability and development, and applying it correctly to a witcher moorpg like this, I'm 100% sure this would end up an epic Mmorpg, even better than Wow.

I'll give two examples to make myself understood better.

In my gaming time (a lot), I really appreciated the Wow playability and structure, but never got really into the story, it simply didn't got me that much, and I never liked the graphics that much.

Regarding story, I believe Mass effect saga has the most beautiful storyline ever.

The Witcher world has the potential to get togheter all these good aspects of these games (and others of course), without sacrificing anything or adding too much to the ambience.

It's there, and it can be really developed out to be the best moorpg ever, but must be realized mindfully of course (or it can end up like the TV show 🙄😭).

And yes, before that we need a Ciri only chapter game, and that could be the bridge also for a mmorpg like this one, where she becomes "the leader" and starts leading all people (elves, mages, witchers, exetera) to unite themselves and fighting the bigger treath once and for all.

This chapter could really be important key for a a future mmorpg like that.

So basically, the players would start in the vanilla, like wow, in the elves age, and having few races and few main basic classes.

By the time they complete vanilla and a new chapter/expansion is released, other races and classes (or subclasses and specializations) can be added.

But this must be done properly, or the risk of resulting pooped out like many actual mmorpg is very high.

Let me say that all these mmorpg tried to reply Wow success in the attempt to create a "easier" leveling and easier classes growth and availability, but they all result boring after time.

So this is an important key to keep in mind

Success is never something out of quick copy paste work and/or chasing the money.

Wow and other similar old ones has success because they delved themselves into the creation of the game, more than thinking about money making.

That is the easiest part (to ask money, everyone is able to).

But to create something that is worth it, and players will enjoy paying back the developers work and effort, requires a different starting, different approach and keeping that from the beginning to the end.

The same is for TV shows.

And one last thing, Regarding Yennefer, she's not a necromancer at all.

She's not even a dark mage
She's a All-rounder mage with attraction and interest to dark magic and power, but only because she's desperately looking for a solution to her inability to give birth and need of "revenge versus the world" caused by all she has suffered before becoming a magician.

This both needs stops when she gets along with Ciri (her purity is the key point of her existance in this kind of world, something that can melt even the most iron hearted).

This is very important, because the story defenetely shows that Yennefer is not Necro/dark mage, in facts those kind of "classes" are considered enemies and treaths, and fought by both Yen and Geralt.
Even Aretusa doesn't allow some kind of ways, and for a good reason.

It's also a way to keep things balanced in gameplay and keeping the story and the scenario more clear, defined and involving.

This requires more explanation Btw

I hope to see something like that coming out in future!
Post automatically merged:

Witcher MMO idea seems okay for me but it might be not a good idea if there're a lot of witchers around the town or city. I believe everybody want to be witcher more than the other class that can find from any MMO games.
I'm not sure honestly. Even if I like the Witcher saga (and the Witcher as class) I totally preferred playing as Ciri all time that was allowed. And many others would enjoy other classes aswell.

The point is both what you put in a context like that, and how you put it

For example, if you put some classes (as some suggested) like vampires or others, this would totally ruin the game scenario and ending up creating just a "the Witcher version" of many other MMOs/Mmorpg, instead of making the Witcher world online.

So of course, when you create something like this, you have to choose with sense what and how you put it inside.

For example, vampires are a type of monsters that are enemies for witchers (the bruxa is basically a vampire).

And I don't feel like PvP would be fitting in a game like this, without ruining the ambience and the all final result.

If the pve is well developed it can be very more challenging and satisfying than PvP.

But to create some like this, you need to back to titles like Wow at least till the litch King, to get what I mean.

Even if wow had PvP, the world they created was ment to be played in both ways.

But I honestly find cooperative pve so much more fulfilling and satisfying then PvP, specially on long terms.

Specially PvP mmorpg tends to be... Infinite, resulting in boring out or just keep doing the same things over and over.

Pve is a bit different, but only if the playtrought is developed properly (otherwise it has the same effect).

World of Warcraft (pve) was a success because it required some grinding, but not too much, only if you wanted to achieve specific pieces or achievements it became a pain in the.... Otherwise you could still find a different solution or avoid that content. And when you found some player with something really rare, that made you really feel wanting it aswell (but only few succeded).

So what I'm basically saying is that the nowadays problems with morpgs and videogames in general, is that they lost something or just let it behind.

I'm not sure how to describe it but I will try:

First of all, they tend to put all good things copied from other success titles in the same cauldron randomly, or just copy pasting, and hoping that this will make it work out the same way (it never did, at least for me).
In fact, blizzard developers were spending so much time behind the creation and balancing rebalancing/adjusting.

On the second hand, too many games nowadays have the real money problem (paytowin ruins the game and the players experience, ending up ruining all titles)

So I'm a 100% sure that we need to go back a little bit, retrieve the things we left behind and put those at service of creating the new.

Old games were so much more adventurous

I never liked Wow graphics (specially at the beginning) but in the end was the most satisfying Mmorpg I ever played.

But I don't speak only because of personal preference.

It's more about observing the feeling that the created environment gives you, not the first day, but the 90th, the 200th, exetera.

So there are some pieces in there that most of late coming mmorpg tried to reply and failed, or simply missed.

And I would like to find the same passioning in other titles, specially the Witcher online eventual project.

It also has one of the best background story and ambience of all out there, it just needs to be fully developed and put it in a good creation togheter with the key elements of titles like Wow (excluding PvP tho 🙄) and giving a better graphic, without taking it to the stars.

Maybe there can be just PvP timed events

For example, when the storyline gets to a point where there is conflict between races or factions, you can put some temporary PvP event, but honestly I would not mind at all.

So yes, to realize something good you really need to delve into it

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the idea has been floated and people have already expressed joy or anger over it, however I've never been a part of the forums and I'd like to toss out my idea for it.

First I'd like to preface this with the fact that I am not saying this should take the place of any solo series. ( A Ciri Witcher series is a must have and should be made at once.)

I'd like this to be a story that takes place a hundred or two years after the events of Witcher 3. The world is suffering a dark age because Geralt is long gone and there are no more witchers to fight monsters. This has allowed for insane populations of monsters. Vampires, werewolves, ghouls, goblins, whatever. The north is a ghost land and what little remnants of human villages that remain are on the brink of being taken over.

To the south the Lodge of Sorceresses has taken over and are protecting humans from the monsters moving in, however at great expense. Those who can not afford the tax have to give up a child to servitude or be exiled north.

Skellige wages war against the Lodge and they constantly raid coastal villages in the south. They also smuggle people out who don't want to be under the lodge's control.

A brave adventurer and his team managed to make it to Kaer Morhen where they found the long lost art of making witchers and immediately undergo the mutations.
They bring a glint of light in the darkness that surrounds the north. They start killing monsters saving villages and recruiting more witchers.

Do you help save humanity as a newly recruited Witcher? Do you try to upend the lodge's scheming and evil plots as a sorcerer/sorceress? Do you brave taking on the Lodge and try freeing the people of the south as a Skellige Berserker? Do you find solace in the woods away from conflict as a druid?

Classes:
Witcher
Sorcerer/sorceress
Berserker
Druid

sub classes
Witcher: Alchemist, Swordsman, Signs(until we get a better name) Time mage (Ciri)
Sorcerer/sorceress: Necromancer (Yen) Blow stuff to hell (Triss) illusions (Keira)
Berserker: TBD
Druid: TBD
This would be very cool to see.

Top Bottom