Witcher MMO?

+
I'm pretty sure the idea has been floated and people have already expressed joy or anger over it, however I've never been a part of the forums and I'd like to toss out my idea for it.

First I'd like to preface this with the fact that I am not saying this should take the place of any solo series. ( A Ciri Witcher series is a must have and should be made at once.)

I'd like this to be a story that takes place a hundred or two years after the events of Witcher 3. The world is suffering a dark age because Geralt is long gone and there are no more witchers to fight monsters. This has allowed for insane populations of monsters. Vampires, werewolves, ghouls, goblins, whatever. The north is a ghost land and what little remnants of human villages that remain are on the brink of being taken over.

To the south the Lodge of Sorceresses has taken over and are protecting humans from the monsters moving in, however at great expense. Those who can not afford the tax have to give up a child to servitude or be exiled north.

Skellige wages war against the Lodge and they constantly raid coastal villages in the south. They also smuggle people out who don't want to be under the lodge's control.

A brave adventurer and his team managed to make it to Kaer Morhen where they found the long lost art of making witchers and immediately undergo the mutations.
They bring a glint of light in the darkness that surrounds the north. They start killing monsters saving villages and recruiting more witchers.

Do you help save humanity as a newly recruited Witcher? Do you try to upend the lodge's scheming and evil plots as a sorcerer/sorceress? Do you brave taking on the Lodge and try freeing the people of the south as a Skellige Berserker? Do you find solace in the woods away from conflict as a druid?

Classes:
Witcher
Sorcerer/sorceress
Berserker
Druid

sub classes
Witcher: Alchemist, Swordsman, Signs(until we get a better name) Time mage (Ciri)
Sorcerer/sorceress: Necromancer (Yen) Blow stuff to hell (Triss) illusions (Keira)
Berserker: TBD
Druid: TBD

Yeah, I know some people would love to see that, and I see why (although I usually rather play alone). As long as CP2077 is still in development, I doubt that's going to happen. An MMO like that would be huge and take a lot of time to develop. So far CDPR doesn't have much MMO RPG experience and this type of game is very different compared to solo games.

After CP2077, to be honest, I'd prefer a single-player RPG with a story. That being said, I usually don't mind a small MMO mode accompanying a game, as long as it doesn't interfere with it.

After CP2077, to be honest, I'd prefer a single-player RPG with a story.

Yes! In a SP game you can tell a well compiled story! Like a movie in which you play the main role. MP games could be rather a pointless mess in story without memorable events. But I could be wrong, I don't play MP games. I prefer SP too :)

MP games could be rather a pointless mess in story without memorable events. But I could be wrong, I don't play MP games. I prefer SP too :)

Yeah, it's usually tricky. In a group with three or more people, for me, it's really hard to care about the story. It might work together with people you know very well, but often that's not the case and most of the team members don't seem to care about the story (or already know the quest). And while you wait and listen to the quest instructions, it can happen that half your team is already in battle. Not really the best environment to experience a story :D

For example, Elder Scrolls Online tried to mix multiplayer, solo and story for a while at the beginning, and that didn't really work out.
Now they really seperate these parts which works a lot better. As a group you focus more on combat stuff and working together, solo you experience the story.

Playing a narrative game co-op with a friend can be very rewarding though (A Way Out for example).

Witcher MMO? No thanks
Ciri Spin-off? No thanks
A new Story-driven (Viking) Dark Fantasy RPG with various Weapons? F ck Yes!!!:)
01. Non-linear Story with multiple Ends
02. Quests with Choices
03. Dialogue System
04. Character Editor (Male/Female) Background Story.
05. Interesting Characters/Romances
06. The World/Atmosphere: Dirty, Cold and Gloomy
07. Soundtrack: Similar to Witcher
08. Combat System: Mixture of Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma
09. Weapons: Shield/One-Hand Sword, Axe, Dagger, Longsword, Battle Axe, Spear, Bow etc.
10. Attributes: Constitution, Endurance, Willpower, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Charisma, Resistance, Luck
11. Skills/Perk: Two-Handed, Weapon and Shield, Dual Wielding, Bow, Speech, Lockpicking, Sneak, Alchemy ect.
My Dream Rpg:giggle: (Maybe the next CDPR Game:cool:)
a0815326607125.56357c6bc7487.jpg

Seems to be more likely to happen in the Cyberpunk universe first, not only is the source material more multiplayer friendly, but some sort of online feature was already confirmed to be in R&D around E3. Anything could happen in the more distant future, though, even if I think it is more likely the next Witcher game will be single player.

You all bring up fair points. The only problem i have with single player games is that they run out of fun after a certain amount of time.

I like to have years worth of fun out of a game if I'm going to spend 65-100 bucks on it versus the 100 hours or so I get out of single player content.

The Witcher 3 is one of the best games ever made in my opinion, but I haven't touched it in years. There is no point in playing it anymore I've done everything in it.

An MMO allows me to explore the world and bring my friends with me. I get engrossed in the story if it's a good story teller. A Witcher MMO would have to stay true to it's roots and tell an amazing story.

I feel they can make it completely open world and stuff but have a linear story with you as the protagonist and have the multiplayer part only come in for dungeons and raids. Leave the rest mostly a single player game that way the world revolves around you and your choices still.

You can still have romances and all the stuff people love about single player games.

Having played The Witcher 3 only, I feel like I would like to see ALMOST like it was done. First, TW3 is a themepark RPG - while Skyrim is much more like a sandbox. In both of them, you have a story (so it ends up being a little bit like a themepark), but if you could do it just like a sandbox - that is, being able to travel in the game like if it was an world, it would be cool.
Second thing: The Witcher 3 gameplay is really good. Combat really mirrors Dark Souls and if you could do something close to it, I think it would be really nice. However, lags and stuff would probably end up killing it. Still, something to think about.
Third thing: Crafting needs to be worked on. TW3's crafting sucks IMO. I think the point that really shines is the fact that you can pick quests, contracts, discoveries and stuff without being bound to a story or a region. Come back later, do stuff here or there, etc.. THAT would be fun. Guild Wars 2 tried to do something like that, but it ended up being... bad, I don't know. TW3 mirrors that to a single player game and BAM, it's just fun. Maybe GW2 just went full themepark and tried to just 'theme' it, while TW3 went sandbox and made a different experiences for quests in the same area/region. As I said, I don't know - it's just better.
Overall: I would like to see a sandbox game with a story generator (like GW2) without being bound to themes. Make the world feel alive, not just.... a themepark. There's a reason for people here to hate on themepark - we're so tired of it that anything that's sandbox makes themepark feel like sh*t

Online game features not only restrict a player freedom beneath the fair opportunities for all users but also have a server instability issues or maintenance. And, other players look like just an obstacle to me while playing MMO. I hope CDPR doesn't even think about it.

Last edited:
A Ciri Witcher series is a must have and should be made at once
This will be so canon killer for any who even actually experience any the three choices that you experience with Ciri's life. Even if it is done so, how would they even make it possible regarding save files, if they try to "continue" with the story if they add the options of implementing the save file option.

I'd like this to be a story that takes place a hundred or two years after the events of Witcher 3.
Wait you have to choose, is it "hundreds" of years which don't make sense since in the world of the witcher everything was actually ending, witchers where extinct, dragons cease to exist already by the start of the third game and according to the era it was based on. Civilization of men where in the rise and so much more going forward trough time. This goes back to my previous response... I mean, even if you decide to choose two years, really? two years after all that happen?. Still kind of oddly chronological view of creating another game from this franchise that would feel kind of disjointed. Just two years prior of the story plot, if they decided to make go by that.

Side note: Actually, there is an old, but old video that Danny O'dwyer made when he worked in Gamespot a series of interviews called "The Looby" with Marcin Iwinski (and if I am not mistaken) in that interview there was some sort of a question regarding making an Mmo in the witcher world. Or so I think it was, I do not remember his complete answer, all though I do remember what he said, that if we are to make an Mmo, it will be completely different as what the market already is. It So who knows if it will be even based on witcher world. All though and Mmo called "Witcher's Wolrd" doesn't sound that bad. But still, if it is so could be better if they focus an incredible story outside of the franchise and the games they created and make some sort of different history using the witcher lores? But who knows what the future holds and how things change.

I for once will not like a continuation of this series, they could perhaps tell different stories from different witcher's perspectives outside from the ones that where in company with Geralt story, in the series. Because outside from what those three series brought and told, nothing else is a wonder. From each character perspective or so I feel it as is.

Anyways.

I have to say that if something like this was done, it needs to pay homage to the source material, or risk going the way of the Fallout franchise. The Witcher games have always been strongly narrative. I'd argue enough liberties have been taken to translate the universe to software already. If something like a pure MMO were ever done, I think it would need to blend the universe with the execution of gameplay very carefully or risk feeling "cheap" and "plastic".

I was just thinking about this!

Witchers-a multiclass type.
Mages-Quen sorcs could create barriers/heal allies, Yrden sorcs could control the undead, Igni could be main damage dealers, Aard could be damage with CC abilities, Axii could perhaps control the minds of simple beasts (beast master).

Different races could have different starting zones and some could have reputation penalties (like elves had poor rep with cities controlled by the eternal flame).

Maybe even allow people to play certain neutral beings in the witcher universe (vampires, trolls, etc)

As for the questing... I would suggest something similar to how ESO does their questing. All voiced and very personal, makes you feel solo even though anyone can pick up the quest.

Maybe even allow an option for someone to join their own zone/phase where they cant see other players so they can have a "solo" experience.

I'm not sure about MMO, but Monster Hunter-like, purely gameplay driven co-op Witcher game would be pretty interesting and would make perfect sense.
Those "water hag guards a chest" encounters were really lackluster. Instead they could combine good boss battles/gameplay with atmosphere/world. So every monster/contract takes place in a certain part of the world, affecting the world in some way ( like that tower on Fyke island).
Also a good chance for CDPR to up their combat systems they could use in future witcher games.
MMOs tend to butcher the world/immersion for the sake of convenience ( so every player of any level can jump in and play) and grinding.
That's the last thing I want to see in this series.

please no mmo:oops:
Witcher MMO? No thanks
Ciri Spin-off? No thanks
A new Story-driven (Viking) Dark Fantasy RPG with various Weapons? F ck Yes!!!:)
01. Non-linear Story with multiple Ends
02. Quests with Choices
03. Dialogue System
04. Character Editor (Male/Female) Background Story.
05. Interesting Characters/Romances
06. The World/Atmosphere: Dirty, Cold and Gloomy
07. Soundtrack: Similar to Witcher
08. Combat System: Mixture of Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma
09. Weapons: Shield/One-Hand Sword, Axe, Dagger, Longsword, Battle Axe, Spear, Bow etc.
10. Attributes: Constitution, Endurance, Willpower, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Charisma, Resistance, Luck
11. Skills/Perk: Two-Handed, Weapon and Shield, Dual Wielding, Bow, Speech, Lockpicking, Sneak, Alchemy ect.
My Dream Rpg:giggle: (Maybe the next CDPR Game:cool:)
View attachment 10978187
Yes, I would take that:ok:

Witcher MMO idea seems okay for me but it might be not a good idea if there're a lot of witchers around the town or city. I believe everybody want to be witcher more than the other class that can find from any MMO games.

Top Bottom