Witcher on Linux

+
Well, I've been working on getting the retail copy of TWEE working, but no such luck so far. My wine installation is pretty bare, so there aren't any winetricks redistributables aside from dotnet20 installed. I'm keeping after it though; this game is one of the three things keeping me from deleting my Windows installation entirely.

spoonypirate said:
Well, I've been working on getting the retail copy of TWEE working, but no such luck so far. My wine installation is pretty bare, so there aren't any winetricks redistributables aside from dotnet20 installed. I'm keeping after it though; this game is one of the three things keeping me from deleting my Windows installation entirely.
what's the problem? did the game install? read the new FAQ if it crashes on start: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0

edit: Completely uninstalled wine, did a fresh compile with the fix for wininet.dll applied. Installed mono19 winetrick and attempted to install Witcher. Hangs after installing redistributables. :/ Trying to run launcher.exe gives
Code:
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registerederr:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1fixme:wininet:INET_QueryOption INTERNET_OPTION_SECURITY_FLAGS: Stubfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionExW Flags 00000000 ignoredfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_SECURITY_FLAGS; STUB
d3dx9_36.dll wasn't found anywhere on my computer, and gdiplus.dll was set to 'native, builtin' for the patcher.

spoonypirate said:
Trying to run launcher.exe gives
Code:
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registerederr:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1fixme:wininet:INET_QueryOption INTERNET_OPTION_SECURITY_FLAGS: Stubfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionExW Flags 00000000 ignoredfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_SECURITY_FLAGS; STUB
Looks normal, that's what you'll get even when it works.
spoonypirate said:
gdiplus.dll was set to 'native, builtin' for the patcher.
Try just native, that way it will crash and tell you if it can't find the native dll.My guess on the current behaviour is that it doesn't find the native gdiplus and reverts to the buildin, which it can't draw the GUI with.
spoonypirate said:
d3dx9_36.dll wasn't found anywhere on my computer
Well, you will need it to run the game, wine's version among others still lack D3DXCreateEffectPool and D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemoryEx.

Okay, I got the launcher to actually appear, but I can't register my game.Did winetricks gdiplus, copied the dll to Witcher dir and did a native override. Executing the launcher prompted the gecko installation.cabextract -d ./ NOV2007_D3Dx9_36.cab from 2nd disk Nor can I launch the game. http://pastebin.com/f2e2c0202 When launching witcher.exe

spoonypirate said:
Okay, I got the launcher to actually appear, but I can't register my game.Did winetricks gdiplus, copied the dll to Witcher dir and did a native override. Executing the launcher prompted the gecko installation.cabextract -d ./ NOV2007_D3Dx9_36.cab from 2nd disk Nor can I launch the game. http://pastebin.com/f2e2c0202 When launching witcher.exe
read this: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3420.msg241464#msg241464you will need some libs from winetricksi'll post more when i get home tonight

I might have found a way to register! I ran the launcher in VMWare and exported the registry entry created (HKCU/CD Projekt Red), so when I try installing again, I'll import that key.Thanks for working with me. The registry entries you posted worked aside from the
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\X11 Driver]"Managed"="Y""ScreenDepth"="32""UseXRandR"="Y""UseXVidMode"="N"
Which crashed wine, even winecfg wouldn't open, so I had to delete that wineprefix and start a new one..I'm sitting at a 100% fresh wineprefix with those registry keys (minus X11 bit), and
Code:
sh winetricks gecko gdiplus
are the only redists AFAIK (I might have vcrun6 which I needed for Photoshop CS2) but aside from that, there's nothing.Edit: Just waiting on you. I don't want to have to set up wineprefix after wineprefix screwing it up :p

McFlow said:
I opened a bug report for the registration problem. Someone took a look at it and wrote a patch that improves cookie handling in wine. I was able to register the installed game.
The patch have been committed so registering should work properly with Wine 1.1.6.

j-pn said:
j-pn said:
I opened a bug report for the registration problem. Someone took a look at it and wrote a patch that improves cookie handling in wine. I was able to register the installed game.
The patch have been committed so registering should work properly with Wine 1.1.6.
Yep, I saw it.But I have a different question now. Is anyone able to play one of the adventures (eg. Price of neutrality)? I read somewhere that this should be included in the EE already but if I select "Adventure" instead of starting a new game there is just the wolfs head and no Price of neutrality. I also tried to install it but the installer complains that the game is not installed properly. A week ago the installation of the EE worked fine :/

McFlow said:
But I have a different question now. Is anyone able to play one of the adventures (eg. Price of neutrality)?
yep, check out the registry keys, you need the installation path, and the rest

LicaonKter said:
given the latest announcement: The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolfi presume Xbox360 = DirectX and PS3=OpenGL, on a new enginemaybe an engine used in the future CDP projects? maybe multiplatform ones ( Windows/Linux/Mac/consoles )?
Would be very nice, but lets don't get too optimistic ;) New engine doesn't mean that next CDPRed's games will be available on systems other than Windows... Use of OpenGL would make it much more easier though, and it would be the best Christmas present ever :D

Otaku said:
Would be very nice, but lets don't get too optimistic ;) New engine doesn't mean that next CDPRed's games will be available on systems other than Windows... Use of OpenGL would make it much more easier though, and it would be the best Christmas present ever :D
Christmas 2010 ? :p

Just wondering if there are any workarounds for the "ragdoll" problem experienced on 7xxx series cards?

mrgnash said:
Just wondering if there are any workarounds for the "ragdoll" problem experienced on 7xxx series cards?
not that i know of, but do keep an eye on: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=6019

Hello,I've been trying to install The Witcher again (since I never finished it) this time on Linux but I'm having trouble with it.I have the normal 1.0 version which installs just fine (can't run it because of the 'tages' errors but I'm guessing that's where the no-cd patch would come in no?). Registering works fine. However, I can't apply the EE patch (TWEE_Upgrade.exe.. that one right?). It starts up fine but then wants to check my registration. When it tries to establish the inet connection I'm getting this error:fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!.. and since it can't check my registration it won't install the patch either. :(Anything I can do about that? Or do I have to use a different patch?

shadowthethird said:
Hello,I've been trying to install The Witcher again (since I never finished it) this time on Linux but I'm having trouble with it.I have the normal 1.0 version which installs just fine (can't run it because of the 'tages' errors but I'm guessing that's where the no-cd patch would come in no?). Registering works fine. However, I can't apply the EE patch (TWEE_Upgrade.exe.. that one right?). It starts up fine but then wants to check my registration. When it tries to establish the inet connection I'm getting this error:fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!.. and since it can't check my registration it won't install the patch either. :(Anything I can do about that? Or do I have to use a different patch?
can you get anything in WINE to connect to the internet ?install Firefox for Windows in WINE and see if it works

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Christmas 2010 ? :p
That would be a nice Christmas present, indeed.I have one more question. The performance of the game with wine is rather bad but still playable. I already start the game with WINEDEBUG=-all on AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 2 GB Ram and Nvidia 8600GTS on everything on the lowest settings except texture quality which is set to medium. But after I rest at a fire the performance noticably improves. Can somebody confirm that here?

McFlow said:
I have one more question. The performance of the game with wine is rather bad but still playable. I already start the game with WINEDEBUG=-all on AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 2 GB Ram and Nvidia 8600GTS on everything on the lowest settings except texture quality which is set to medium. But after I rest at a fire the performance noticably improves. Can somebody confirm that here?
i'm playing with all on HIGH and Shadows on Medium, at 1280x800, 4xAF, your video card should yield better results than my 8600GT, but my 5200+ is better, ehanyway meditation does not help me

Top Bottom