Witcher on Linux

+
Yeah. I think the game is rather limited by the CPU. At least that would explain the performance differences. But... game runs pretty playable with my settings and is fun and that's what matters.

How is the status of TWEE under wine today (1.1.15)? It installed just fine, but I had to install of a no cd-crack because of the idiotic copy protection. However I end up with a black screen at startup, probably this: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15904. I guess it's currently impossible to play TWEE under linux.

raw said:
How is the status of TWEE under wine today (1.1.15)? It installed just fine, but I had to install of a no cd-crack because of the idiotic copy protection. However I end up with a black screen at startup, probably this: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15904. I guess it's currently impossible to play TWEE under linux.
get the hotfix too, read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0

The screen turns black, and that's it. As I stated in my original post, it' the EE. The boxed EE, not the upgraded! The last line returned is
Code:
err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 316 bytes in thread 0009 eip 00000000 esp 012e11f4 stack 0x12e0000-0x12e1000-0x1c70000
which is probably caused by the No-CD crack.My last hope is CodeRed/Atari removing the CD Play-Protection.

I installed original Witcher 1.0 on Ubuntu 8.10 and now I'm stuck trying to patch, but I'm unable to - the installer tries to activate the game online and requests a registration (already done earlier) and exits. Register.exe is not working. What should I do?

TheKleszcz said:
I installed original Witcher 1.0 on Ubuntu 8.10 and now I'm stuck trying to patch, but I'm unable to - the installer tries to activate the game online and requests a registration (already done earlier) and exits. Register.exe is not working. What should I do?
what WINE version?

Hi everyone,I'm looking for some tips on getting the game to work with wine on linux. Currently I'm running wine 1.1.15 on Fedora Core 10 (kernel 2.6.27). I have The Witcher 1.0 on cd which I'm trying to install and hopefully upgrade to the enhanced edition. I'm very comfortable with Linux, but inexperienced with wine. My first attempt to install the game resulted in a game that doesn't run. Instead I get a tiny dialog box titled "launch" , the three letters "bkg"appear inside, along with an OK button. The game does not come up if i click OK. Any ideas on where to go from here?Vim

Vim said:
Hi everyone,I'm looking for some tips on getting the game to work with wine on linux. Currently I'm running wine 1.1.15 on Fedora Core 10 (kernel 2.6.27). I have The Witcher 1.0 on cd which I'm trying to install and hopefully upgrade to the enhanced edition. I'm very comfortable with Linux, but inexperienced with wine. My first attempt to install the game resulted in a game that doesn't run. Instead I get a tiny dialog box titled "launch" , the three letters "bkg"appear inside, along with an OK button. The game does not come up if i click OK. Any ideas on where to go from here?Vim
Some further info...1) The installer did appear and run. I'm not sure however if it finished successfully since after it started running I covered it with another window. It continued for quite awhile and then disappeared. There was no clickable message indicating it had completed successfully so I have no idea if it completed successfully or not. There was however a menu item for it created under wine. 2) The tiny "launch" dialog box I mentioned in my previous post occurs when I try to run the program from the wine menu under Gnome. 3) I decided to try running it from the command line and it popped up a little dialog box saying that TAGES drivers need to be installed and asking me if I want to proceed. When I click yes it bombs because that process has insufficient privileges.4) So I decided to try again as root and it bombed without putting up any dialog boxes this time. The error messages I received were:[root@archimedes System]# wine witcher.exefixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not founderr:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not foundfixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\CommonLibs.dll") not founderr:module:import_dll Library MSVCP80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\CommonLibs.dll") not founderr:module:import_dll Library CommonLibs.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not founderr:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe" failed, status c0000135[root@archimedes System]# Am I correct in assuming the problem is that TAGES doesn't work with wine and that I need the no cd crack to run the game? If so, can someone recommend a particular version of the crack? There seem to be several out there. And is it possible to run one of them under wine without installing additional software like daemon_tools?-Vim

Vim said:
[root@archimedes System]# wine witcher.exefixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not founderr:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not found
you are missing thosein your home folder run a terminalrun: wget kegel.com/wine/winetricksthen: chmod 777 winetricksthen: ./winetricks vcrun2005sp1agree to installthen try to run the gamesince you have the original version, you do it like this:install the game at version 1.0patch directly to 1.4 ( which removes the DVD in drive need, and TAGES problems )apply hotfix 2.3playread the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 ( just in case )oh, and BTW, why are you running as root? that's bad, WINE should not be run as root, and in general you should only run the administration and maintenance stuff as root, while games and stuff as a normal usersee this too for more reasons not to run as root: http://forums.digitaltrends.com/showthread.php?t=8308

Vim said:
2) The tiny "launch" dialog box I mentioned in my previous post occurs when I try to run the program from the wine menu under Gnome.
The launcher will not work with wine's gdiplus, you can use it with the native one though.The reason is that the window shape is build based on the alpha channel of the background image of the launcher, while wine doesn't properly keep the alpha channel (at least not using a 24bit x-server) resulting in it all seeming transparent (if you assume the pixel format returned is the same as windows gdiplus), resulting in a zero size window.

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
[root@archimedes System]# wine witcher.exefixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not founderr:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\vim\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not found
you are missing thosein your home folder run a terminalrun: wget kegel.com/wine/winetricksthen: chmod 777 winetricksthen: ./winetricks vcrun2005sp1agree to installthen try to run the gamesince you have the original version, you do it like this:install the game at version 1.0patch directly to 1.4 ( which removes the DVD in drive need, and TAGES problems )apply hotfix 2.3play
In a nutshell I'm stalled here. Witcher 1.0 doesn't run, nor can I register the game which is required before I can install the 1.4 patch. Here is a detailed description of what I've done:I uninstalled the witcher 1.0. I downloaded winetricks and ran winetricks vcrun2005sp1 as instructed. It ran but made the following complaints:[quote author=winetricks][vim@archimedes ~]$ ./winetricks vcrun2005sp1fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x113fb0 0Executing wine /home/vim/.winetrickscache/vcrun2005sp1/vcredist_x86.exefixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "C:\\windows\\temp\\IXP000.TMP\\" 00000000fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "C:\\windows\\temp\\IXP001.TMP\\" 00000000fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"vim" (nil) 0x33f80c (nil) 0x33f810 0x33f804 - stubfixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"vim" 0x1297c0 0x33f80c 0x14fe50 0x33f810 0x33f804 - stubfixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction unhandled standard action L"SetODBCFolders"fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub RemoveExistingProducts -> 1 ignored L"Upgrade" table valuesfixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub MsiUnpublishAssemblies -> 10 ignored L"MsiAssembly" table valuesfixme:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim (0x605b668c L"fusion.dll", (nil), (nil), 0x33f934): semi-stubInstall of vcrun2005sp1 donewinetricks done.[vim@archimedes ~][/QUOTE]I then reinstalled The Witcher 1.0 from off the CD. It installed with the following complants:[quote author=setup.exe][vim@archimedes TheWitcher]$ pwd/media/TheWitcher[vim@archimedes TheWitcher]$ wine setup.exe fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x113fb0 0fixme:storage:StgCreateDocfile Storage share mode not implemented.fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x3328ac) using GetSystemInfo()fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage WM_STYLECHANGING: stubfixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage WM_STYLECHANGED: stubfixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage WM_STYLECHANGING: stubfixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage WM_STYLECHANGED: stubfixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1252000): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1252000): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1252570): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1252570): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x12525d0): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x12525d0): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.fixme:menubuilder:SaveIconResAsXPM Unsupported color depth 32-bitfixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x33fb38) using GetSystemInfo()fixme:mscoree:GetCORVersion (0x33f730, 600, 0x33f71c): semi-stub!fixme:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim (0xab2c98 L"fusion.dll", (nil), (nil), 0x33ee28): semi-stubfixme:mscoree:GetCORVersion (0x33d740, 600, 0x33d72c): semi-stub!fixme:fusion:CreateAssemblyEnum (0x33dc30, (nil), 0x1c5a38, 00000002, (nil)) stub!fixme:fusion:CreateAssemblyEnum (0x33dc30, (nil), 0x1c5a38, 00000002, (nil)) stub!fixme:fusion:CreateAssemblyEnum (0x33dc30, (nil), 0x1c5a38, 00000002, (nil)) stub!fixme:fusion:CreateAssemblyEnum (0x33dc30, (nil), 0x1c5a38, 00000002, (nil)) stub!fixme:fusion:CreateAssemblyEnum (0x33dc30, (nil), 0x1c5a38, 00000002, (nil)) stub!fixme:fusion:CreateAssemblyEnum (0x33dc30, (nil), 0x1c5a38, 00000002, (nil)) stub!fixme:fusion:CreateAssemblyEnum (0x33dc30, (nil), 0x1c5a38, 00000002, (nil)) stub!fixme:fusion:CreateAssemblyEnum (0x33dc30, (nil), 0x1c5a38, 00000002, (nil)) stub!fixme:fusion:CreateAssemblyEnum (0x33dc30, (nil), 0x1c5a38, 00000002, (nil)) stub!fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "C:\\windows\\temp\\IXP000.TMP\\" 00000000fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "C:\\windows\\temp\\IXP001.TMP\\" 00000000fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"vim" (nil) 0x33f80c (nil) 0x33f810 0x33f804 - stubfixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"vim" 0x1297c0 0x33f80c 0x14fe50 0x33f810 0x33f804 - stubfixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction unhandled standard action L"SetODBCFolders"fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub RemoveExistingProducts -> 1 ignored L"Upgrade" table valuesfixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub MsiUnpublishAssemblies -> 10 ignored L"MsiAssembly" table valuesfixme:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim (0x605d968c L"fusion.dll", (nil), (nil), 0x33f934): semi-stubfixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x33f750) using GetSystemInfo()fixme:ntoskrnl:IoAllocateMdl stub: 0x1141b8, 5, 0, 0, (nil)fixme:ntoskrnl:IoAllocateMdl stub: 0x1141b8, 5, 0, 0, (nil)fixme:ntoskrnl:IoAllocateMdl stub: 0x114618, 5, 0, 0, (nil)err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registerederr:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stubfixme:msxml:domdoc_QueryInterface interface {7fd52380-4e07-101b-ae2d-08002b2ec713} not implementedfixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stubfixme:msxml:DllCanUnloadNow err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c000001d flags 0 addr 0x604638d0fixme:menubuilder:SaveIconResAsXPM Unsupported color depth 32-bitfixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stubfixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stubfixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub[vim@archimedes TheWitcher]$ [/QUOTE]Next I tried to patch the game to 1.4, but the graphical installer bombed with a dialog box saying the game needed to be registered first.Finally I tried to run the 1.0 version of the game and that failed too with what appears to be the same error messages I had from before I installed the winetricks MS Visual C++ 2005 sp1 libraries. Here they are:[quote author=witcher.exe][vim@archimedes System]$ pwd/home/vim/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher/System[vim@archimedes System]$ wine witcher.exe fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x113fb0 0fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not founderr:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not foundfixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\CommonLibs.dll") not founderr:module:import_dll Library MSVCP80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\CommonLibs.dll") not founderr:module:import_dll Library CommonLibs.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe") not founderr:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\The Witcher\\System\\witcher.exe" failed, status c0000135[/QUOTE]Any ideas? ???[quote author=Licaon_Kter ]read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 ( just in case )[/QUOTE]I did. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything helpful to my situation. [quote author=Licaon_Kter]oh, and BTW, why are you running as root? that's bad, WINE should not be run as root, and in general you should only run the administration and maintenance stuff as root, while games and stuff as a normal usersee this too for more reasons not to run as root: http://forums.digitaltrends.com/showthread.php?t=8308[/QUOTE]1) I trust the ATARI installation CD which came with my graphics card. 2) I'm inexperienced with WINE.3) Previously, the installer had been complaining that it needed to be run as administrator in order to have sufficient privileges to install TAGES. 4) So I figured it was worth a shot trying it again as root which is Linux's equivalent to administrator.But I'll take your warning to heart and not use root in the future for the installation of games on WINE, not that I've installed any others at this point. EDIT: j-pn, your post came while I was typing up this one. I haven't yet had a chance to grab a native gdiplus yet. I will try that too tonight.-Vim

j-pn said:
j-pn said:
2) The tiny "launch" dialog box I mentioned in my previous post occurs when I try to run the program from the wine menu under Gnome.
The launcher will not work with wine's gdiplus, you can use it with the native one though.The reason is that the window shape is build based on the alpha channel of the background image of the launcher, while wine doesn't properly keep the alpha channel (at least not using a 24bit x-server) resulting in it all seeming transparent (if you assume the pixel format returned is the same as windows gdiplus), resulting in a zero size window.
Thanks for the tip. I just grabbed the Win XP version of gdiplus.dll and dropped it in /home/vim/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher/System. I've also run winecfg and added a DLL override telling wine to check for a native version first. Here are the results for register.exe & launcher.exe (the executables that are popping up the uselessly tiny dialog boxes) respectively:[quote author=register.exe-1][vim@archimedes The Witcher]$ wine register.exefixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x113fe8 0err:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failederr:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failederr:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failed[/QUOTE][quote author=launcher.exe-1][vim@archimedes The Witcher]$ wine launcher.exefixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x113fe8 0err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registerederr:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1err:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failederr:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failederr:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failederr:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failederr:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failederr:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failederr:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failederr:eek:le:OLEPictureImpl_LoadPNG Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0err:eek:le:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failed[/QUOTE]Ok, this error I figured out myself. WINE can't find a library (libpng12.so.0) on the linux side that it wants to access. A quick check shows that I do have that library installed, but only the 64 bit version. No doubt I need the 32 bit version for WINE to run the game so I downloaded and installed libpng-1.2.35-1.fc10.i386 which is the latest update of the package that contains the needed library for my distribution. I run "wine launcher.exe" again and get a tab on my window manager's taskbar, but no launcher window, not even the useless, tiny dialog box I saw previously. The old complaints written to my bash window about libpng are gone, but now there are new ones:[quote author=register.exe-2][vim@archimedes The Witcher]$ wine register.exefixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x113fe8 0fixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrender... (until I ctrl-c the app)[/QUOTE] [quote author=launcher.exe-2][vim@archimedes The Witcher]$ wine launcher.exefixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x113fb0 0err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registerederr:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1fixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrender... (until I ctrl-c the app)[/QUOTE]Any ideas on how to fix these? -Vim

Vim said:
I run "wine launcher.exe" again and get a tab on my window manager's taskbar, but no launcher window, not even the useless, tiny dialog box I saw previously.
Make sure you are actually using the native gdiplus, the launcher is not in the game's system directory so I don't see any reason why it should look for it there.Change the wine settings to only use native, that way it will crash if it can't find the native dll (so that you'll know) rather than just silently failing back to the build in.As for the other problems, I don't recognize them.I believe it have been mentioned previously but not in a while, to apply the patches you need mono installed (I used mono-1.9.1) and to run the game you need the native d3dx9_36 (unless someone have implemented the parts that used to be missing by now).

j-pn said:
to run the game you need the native d3dx9_36 (unless someone have implemented the parts that used to be missing by now).
or d3dx9_35 ( you can get them from an windows installation with an up to date DirectX: http://downloads.guru3d.com/DirectX-End-User-Runtimes-(March-2009)-download-1943.htmlor extract it from that setup ( CAB files in a ZIP archive, you need cabextract on Linux )

j-pn said:
j-pn said:
I run "wine launcher.exe" again and get a tab on my window manager's taskbar, but no launcher window, not even the useless, tiny dialog box I saw previously.
Make sure you are actually using the native gdiplus, the launcher is not in the game's system directory so I don't see any reason why it should look for it there.Change the wine settings to only use native, that way it will crash if it can't find the native dll (so that you'll know) rather than just silently failing back to the build in.
Whoops. You're absolutely right. I changed the setting to native only and it crashed. I then moved gdiplus.dll from drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher/System up one level to drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher and windows started popping again for register.exe and launcher.exe. In fact register.exe appears to have worked completely. I was able to register the game successfully and that should allow me to patch to 1.4. The launcher on the other hand pops up a completely blank launcher window with no menu buttons or words printed anywhere on the window. But if I click in the vicinity of where the register button should be the registration window then pops up with all the proper buttons and text. I can't get the launcher to do anything else however at this point.
As for the other problems, I don't recognize them.
./winetricks vcrun2005sp1 does not appear to have properly installed the Vistual C++ 2005 library files in drive_c/windows/winsxs. I'll dig into this further when I get the chance.
I believe it have been mentioned previously but not in a while, to apply the patches you need mono installed (I used mono-1.9.1)
Thanks, I'll look up mono before applying the patches.
j-pn said:
j-pn said:
to run the game you need the native d3dx9_36 (unless someone have implemented the parts that used to be missing by now).
or d3dx9_35 ( you can get them from an windows installation with an up to date DirectX: http://downloads.guru3d.com/DirectX-End-User-Runtimes-(March-2009)-download-1943.htmlor extract it from that setup ( CAB files in a ZIP archive, you need cabextract on Linux )
There now appears to be an option within winetricks to install directx9. i gave it a try and it appears to have successfully installed all of the d3dx9_*.dll files from 24 through 40 in drive_c/windows/system32, including both d3dx9_36 and d3dx9_35. I checked them against the files in that link you provided and they're exactly the same. So I believe I'm good in the directx department now. Interestingly enough I tried to install gdiplus.dll (which comes with a powerpoint viewer) from winetricks too, but that one clearly failed to install. That wasn't a big deal since I already had a copy of gdiplus.dll, but I now have question marks regarding the reliability of the winetricks install process.-Vim

Vim said:
There now appears to be an option within winetricks to install directx9. i gave it a try and it appears to have successfully installed all of the d3dx9_*.dll files from 24 through 40 in drive_c/windows/system32, including both d3dx9_36 and d3dx9_35. I checked them against the files in that link you provided and they're exactly the same. So I believe I'm good in the directx department now.
it's somehow better to have just that DLL in the witcher/system folder and not the whole DirectX installed in the WINE folders

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
There now appears to be an option within winetricks to install directx9. i gave it a try and it appears to have successfully installed all of the d3dx9_*.dll files from 24 through 40 in drive_c/windows/system32, including both d3dx9_36 and d3dx9_35. I checked them against the files in that link you provided and they're exactly the same. So I believe I'm good in the directx department now.
it's somehow better to have just that DLL in the witcher/system folder and not the whole DirectX installed in the WINE folders
Ok, thanks. I ended up deleting my .wine directory tree and starting from scratch due to the issues with ./winetricks vrcrun2005sp1 not properly installing. So I just dropped in d3dx9_36 and d3dx9_35 this time around as per your suggestion.Now regarding 2005sp1, I just couldn't get it to install properly before. So I tried installing vcrun2005 first, and then following with 2005sp1 with the new installation. That seemed to populate the winsxs folder and its 2 subfolders, but I still had the same problems as before. Then I tried a package called microsoft.vc80.crt (Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest msvcm80.dll msvcp80.dll msvcr80.dll ) that has been used successfully with Neverwinter Nights 2. I figured that since they both used the Aurora rendering engine and since one person who posted to the wine debug list had said it worked for them to get The Witcher working, it was worth a shot. That didn't work for me either. (Or at least placing it in drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher didn't work, I didn't try dropping the files in drive_c/windows/winsxs) So finally I just deleted the winsxs directory and replaced it with one from a windows system and voila! it worked. Furthermore I'm no longer getting all those annoying missing Visual C++ library errors when running wine witcher.exe. In fact the TAGES installation popups are now showing up once again only to bomb due to error 32 and insufficient privileges. All of the complaints wine makes to my shell window are now fixme's. No actual errors seem to be left. This is what I'm seeing:[quote author=witcher.exe][vim@archimedes System]$ wine witcher.exefixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x113fb0 0fixme:ntoskrnl:IoAllocateMdl stub: 0x1141b8, 5, 0, 0, (nil)fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x33f750) using GetSystemInfo()fixme:ntoskrnl:IoAllocateMdl stub: 0x1141b8, 5, 0, 0, (nil)fixme:ntoskrnl:IoAllocateMdl stub: 0x1141b8, 5, 0, 0, (nil)fixme:ntoskrnl:IoAllocateMdl stub: 0x114638, 5, 0, 0, (nil)[vim@archimedes System]$ [/QUOTE]Are any of these significant? If not, then I think I' may be ready to patch the game to 1.4 since upgrading should get me around the TAGES problem without having to use the nodvd crack. As per j-pn's advice I looked into Mono and found that I already have ver. 2.0.1 installed. So I think I'm ready to patch Witcher to 1.4. BTW, has anyone gotten the launcher to work? Currently I'm getting a blank window with no graphics, buttons or text when I attempt to run it. Here are the error messages I get for the launcher:[quote author=launcher.exe][vim@archimedes The Witcher]$ wine launcher.exefixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x113fb0 0err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registerederr:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32d960,0x00000000), stub!fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x1003c 0x00000000fixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrenderfixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrender...^C[/QUOTE]Should I put more time into it before I patch to 1.4? Or should I just move on? -Vim

Vim said:
BTW, has anyone gotten the launcher to work? Currently I'm getting a blank window with no graphics, buttons or text when I attempt to run it. Here are the error messages I get for the launcher:Should I put more time into it before I patch to 1.4? Or should I just move on?
ignore the launcher, it's useless

Top Bottom