Witcher senses and your opinion, possible down(up)grade of them

+
I must remember you guys that you could already do this in the witcher 2, you drank the cat flask and you got this fancy bright interface that highlighted blood and allowed you to see in the dark, this actually bothered me because these are features a witcher is supposed to already have.

It shouldn't break your immersion because you're not the one immersing/living in that world, it's Geralt the one living it, you're Geralt in this universe and this is the way he sees the world not your way of seeing it, you need to be in his shoes not in yours when playing this game.

Last edited:
Actually, in a thread about potion effects, I asked the same thing and King Milhouse explained about witcher senses and the Cat potion. Quoting him ( with copy paste, no idea how to do it some other way) :

"He can see in darkness more than the normal human, but he still cannot see in complete darkness (If I remember correctly in the books he uses a torch to find the cockatrice in the underground cellars in toussant)

Cat makes his senses extremely acute, in the first story of the first book (when he is dealing with Adda), after taking it he can hear her coffin lid sliding open from very far away, and he can see everything with absolute clarity. Hope this explains"

Last edited:
Well now Geralt will have witcher senses, but I have no idea if this is simply tracking skill expertise or something to do with his eyes. How will the senses work after nightfall?

Regarding effects. As long as they keep Cat as Cat and De'Vries extract as De'Vries extract. Keep 'em separate. Cat potion in Witcher 2 was somewhat annoying when I knew what it once was in Witcher 1. Sure, it was somewhat cool, but why 'optimise' and slam two potion effects into one? Some players choose to use certain potions, some don't. Some use torches instead. And surely some will choose to use these senses either more or less, depending on what they feel fit their gameplay style.

I dont think there is anything bad about the blood tracking... in the griffin case the blood is warm and fresh .. so geralts senses can pick it up easily.... .. not loosing track is important.... monsters probably run away quite often & fast... this is also why the crossbow makes sense... for old blood trails though effect needs to be much less.. maybe even not highlighted at all... the bloodtrails are the way to go for fleeing monsters.... now to discover monsters in the wild we have our detective work... like learning where they live & then pick up marks other than bloodtrails... this is where the senses are pretty much inefective ... i mean marks like footprints or scratches on trees wont probably pop up on the witcher radar... not every track will be in our face with a red highligting... i have no worries... its going to be great! And since we have livng ecosystem it will make hunt even more exciting... like for example you can only catch monster a while its on hunt for monster b and stuff... so much posabilities.. not just monster x is always hiding behind that rock and just waiting for you to come... to serve as loot that always chases you until you can loot it.... nono we will get our wild hunt.. no worries...

Last edited:

Isn't that a little bit too much hand-holding?
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for such accessibility-enhancing features that help the visually impaired playing and enjoying a game like anybody else but I'm definitely not a fan when there's no way around it and people that like to figure out things by themselves just have to deal with it. I'm totally fine with the tracking part - that's what the Witcher senses are actually for, right? - but please consider making the "climb here" marking part an option to be turned off at one's leisure.
I'd appreciate that very much.

True, but there will be surely some situations where the tracks and the markings are so close together that you simply cannot choose to not see the markings.
And you pretty much need to activate the Witcher senses to see the tracks, right? Or can you actually see tracks without the senses?

It's not about hand holding they're just too much they ruin the visual flow of the game. Remember : subtle

You can also just not use your witcher senses at all. I don't think the game forces you to use them except for maybe a tutorial scene, correct me if I'm wrong though.

You can also just not use your witcher senses at all. I don't think the game forces you to use them except for maybe a tutorial scene, correct me if I'm wrong though.

You're gonna at least need it for tracking monsters and examining tracks.

Personally I hope to use Witcher senses as little as possible, and I hope the game allows for that kind of playstyle. Just giving people the option to disable it's effects, or give us the choice to not use it, is not enough. If the game is designed with the fact that the player is expected to use Witcher senses to get directions then it's going to really mess things up for those who don't use it. I hope for situations where Witcher senses point you in the right direction or highlight things of interest, that you can still see those signs without Witcher senses but you have to really pay attention to details. I'm not holding my breath for it, but there's no harm in hopping...

Will the highlighting on climbable ledges in Witcher Senses mode be disableable?
Uhm, I don’t know, I don’t think so at the moment. But we might think about it, it might be a good idea. Do you think it’s a good idea?

It depends. For example on the forums a lot of people dislike it so they asked for an option to disable it.
Maybe we should do that, we’ll think about it.
Source

Skip to exactly 3'07 and rejoice.

Isn't that a little bit too much hand-holding?

I think a lot of what we've seen so far is too much hand-holding. I'm still in the camp that the Witcher Sense seems rather superfluous. I mean, as soon as Geralt entered the area (after killing the water hag), the time of day AND the other circle showing the beast changed (spoiling it even before you've found the victim). As well as this, we have various markers on the mini-map.

The point in which we find the evidence to finding the beast wasn't a long distance, either. I'll probably do without using the senses at all if possible.

Last edited:
I think a lot of what we've seen so far is too much hand-holding. I'm still in the camp that the Witcher Sense seems rather superfluous. I mean, as soon as Geralt entered the area (after killing the water hag), the time of day AND the other circle showing the beast changed (spoiling it even before you've found the victim). As well as this, we have various markers on the mini-map.

The point in which we find the evidence to finding the beast wasn't a long distance, either. I'll probably do without using the senses at all if possible.

They have already stated that recommendations i.e. Recommended potions in preparation menu - Will be disabled depending on the difficulty level. Let's hope this also includes disabling certain HUD markers - i.e. The type of monster/trophy that is in the vicinity. I'd also greatly appreciate if there was a toggle or change via the difficulty level for ledges and climbable surfaces not to be visible while using the Witcher senses.

Last edited:
I don't want to play on a difficult setting though. I play just for fun, not for the challenge. But I still want immersion without those helpers and hand-holding. Combat difficulty should not be related to hand-holding.
I will disable as much help as I can and try to use the highlight all button as little as possible. But I am all for customization of HUD and information displayed. I think it is always good to have these options.

They have already stated that recommendations i.e. Recommendation potions in preparation - Would be disabled depending on the difficulty level.

Indeed.

Let's hope this also includes the HUD marker where they let you know what type of monster/trophy is in the vicinity. I'd also appreciate if this included ledges and climbable surfaces.

See, this is where it may not be so simple. Disabling the marker on the top right may not alleviate the issue much. From what I understand, the marker changes depending on the location Geralt is in (near Novigrad it was a Noonwraith. In the swamps the Fiend. In the forest the Werewolf). This runs synchronously with the monster description located above the recommended potions (I guess?). So they could just look in the tab at any point and see it there. No matter what level we're on, surely this description should be available at *some* point in the 'investigation' process.

I thought we'd learn about the monsters through various means. It looks like Witcher Sense (on easy at least) just helps with locating the beast (even though that's pretty silly considering we have markers too).

Also, as described above, this is too much even for someone on easy, I'd argue.

Last edited:
Indeed.

See, this is where it may not be so simple. Disabling the marker on the top right may not alleviate the issue much. From what I understand, the marker changes depending on the location Geralt is in (near Novigrad it was a Noonwraith. In the swamps the Fiend. In the forest the Wereworld). This runs synchronously with the monster description located above the recommended potions (I guess?). So they could just look in the tab at any point and see it there. No matter what level we're on, surely this description should be available at *some* point in the 'investigation' process.

I thought we'd learn about the monsters through various means. It looks like Witcher Sense (on easy at least) just helps with locating the beast (even though that's pretty silly considering we have markers too).
I hope my post was not misunderstood. I do not want these markers visible on the HUD and I would also like to do everything that entails investigating what type of creature I will be hunting. Preferably through NPC and environment interaction - Locals telling stories of missing people, livestock etc., Books, Bulletin board postings and via the Witcher senses - Tracks, scent, sounds. Ideally it would be perfect if some tracks were also visible without the need of using the W.S. The investigation information has been said to accumulate on the above points I have already posted plus depending on that particular monster family. That is another neat way we will build up knowledge - Past encounters with certain species.

* Rumors from NPC's about monsters and their supposed whereabouts does not necessarily need to be by locals either. Having such a dense and large open world allows situations where for instance - You talk to a villager or an Inn keep up North, they go on to then inform you -
"Whispers Master Witcher, Aye. em, *cough* That's right, heard et with my own two ears now I did. Missing folk down by Downwarren,nasty business it is. Children gone astray never to be found, only a drop or two of blood and empty space where they were last seen, before mysteriously vanishing. * cough* :: Inn Keep shakes his head slowly, holding back another fit of coughing:: "Nasty, nasty business down there in Velen. Something evil is afoot I tell you!"

So with this and other similar scenarios, we would hear rumors of potential disappearances,murders and so on, a fair distance away from the origin of the troubles. I love coming across a journal entry, note, rumor/story etc. and then a few hours later, down the road come across something relating to that relevant source of information. A body of said missing child or person, Monster that was relayed fitting a particular description or attack pattern.
You get the idea. For me, it adds a sense of believability to the world, immerses me even deeper. A few games have done this and I can remember one of the very first times I came across a similar situation as I painted above and after that I was completely enthralled.

Last edited:
I hope my post was not misunderstood. I do not want these markers visible on the HUD and I would also like to do everything that entails with investigating what type of creature I will be hunting. Preferably through npc interaction - Locals telling stories of missing people,livestock etc., Books, Bulletin board postings and via the Witcher senses - Tracks, scent, sounds. Ideally it would be perfect if some tracks were also visible without the need of using the W.S. The investigation information has been said to accumulate on the above points I have already posted plus depending on that particular monster family. That is another neat way we will build up knowledge - Past encounters with certain species.

See, this is what I thought, too. But we haven't gotten a glimpse of this yet. All we have is a HUD marker that appeared depending on location (and seemingly not dependent on anything else), and description/image of the beast that may also be dependent on location. If it's also dependent on anything else, all we've seen is him talking to a guy about an 'evil presence' which wasn't even to do with the beast, and a corpse with claw marks on it. Geralt also mentioned 'wolves' rather than 'werewolf'. So, I still don't see how this is going to be different for various difficulties.

You'd think, considering monster hunting is a major part of the game, they'd show the process a little clearer (if there is one)...

From the looks of it, the W.S. works in tandem with the monster description/HUD marker when it comes to location -- you know it's nearby, but not exactly where. "Oh, there's a corpse with claw marks, the Werewolf that is 'known' to be nearby must be close". Rather than, "Oh, there's a corpse with claw marks, what could the beast be?".

Last edited:
Top Bottom