Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+
There's a high probability all the other sorceresses will look much older than Yen, which yes, I will find weird. Especially Triss. And if Triss' actress is in her early twenties, it'll truly be like 'who's your daddy' Geralt with a bunch of adolescent girls running around.

You mean the game wich practically ignores their relationship in favour of Uncle Vesemir feels?

And what does the game have to do with it anyway? Ciri is an adult there, not a child.
I didn't see people throwing tantrums because Ciri is old enough to be Yennefer's sister a few years apart. Yet Geralt and Yennefer are clearly portrayed as foster parents for her, even if not in the same detail as in the books.
Post automatically merged:

There's a high probability all the other sorceresses will look much older than Yen, which yes, I will find weird. Especially Triss. And if Triss' actress is in her early twenties, it'll truly be like 'who's your daddy' Geralt with a bunch of adolescent girls running around.
Yeah, because "who's your daddy" 40 years old looking Geralt from the games was an issue, when he was hanging with mid 20s looking sorceresses.

Guest 3847602

I didn't see people throwing tantrums because Ciri is old enough to be Yennefer's sister a few years apart.
Not that I have any real interest in anything related to Netflix series anymore, but for the sake of accuracy: people did complain about Yennefer's face in The Sword of Destiny trailer precisely because she looked too young and innocent, so CDPR decided to alter the model and give her more mature appearance. :)

Not that I have any real interest in anything related to Netflix series anymore, but for the sake of accuracy: people did complain about Yennefer's face in The Sword of Destiny trailer precisely because she looked too young and innocent, so CDPR decided to alter the model and give her more mature appearance. :)
They changed her because of complaints or because it was just a work in progress version? Because Triss was also changed from those trailers. Yennefer went through several iterations before they settled on what ended up in the game.

To me it looks like natural evolution during development. Geralt, Triss, Yen and other characters had general shapes and design, but along the way, when more dialogues are written, voices recorded, they tweak appearance along the way. Not really because of fans complaints.

Last edited:
They changed her because of complaints or because it was just a work in progress version? Because Triss was also changed from those trailers. Yennefer went through several iterations before they settled on what ended up in the game.
True... real shame in Triss' case, to be honest, I liked her trailer face better...

Still, lore aside, it takes a certain age/maturity to bring a complex character like Yen to life, and I really don't see that in this actress... Ciri's will probably be fine, since acting ~2 years younger is not as hard as acting 10+ years older.

Guest 3847602

They changed her because of complaints or because it was just a work in progress version? Because Triss was also changed from those trailers.
It was based off a face scan of real person, Klaudia Wrobel, I don't think it was a work in progress. They still ended up using that original model for the game's intro.
I can't remember the reason why Triss' model was changed, or if any explanation was given at all, I think it was one of the former forum moderators who said that people used to complain about her looking too stern, Yennefer-like, or something like that...

It was based of a face scan of real person, Klaudia Wrobel, I don't think it was a work in progress. They still ended up using that original model for the game intro.
I can't remember the reason why Triss' model was changed, or if any explanation was given at all, I think it was one of the former forum moderators who said that people used to complain about her looking too stern, Yennefer-like, or something like that...
In case of CGI it make sense, those things can't be tweaked and they have to settle on something to start making them in advance.
As for work in progress, ideas come and go. Suddenly something doesn't work as intended, so games change till the last minute. They started with Wrobel, but then realized it didn't work. Geralt model was changed too. He looks different in early trailers, both ingame and CGI, in Night to Remember, in the final game. And the same was in TW2.

Still, lore aside, it takes a certain age/maturity to bring a complex character like Yen to life, and I really don't see that in this actress... Ciri's will probably be fine, since acting ~2 years younger is not as hard as acting 10+ years older.
By that logic how can a 30 y.o. actor/actress play a 100 years old person. No way that complexity is achievable when you're only 30 years old. I call this nonsense. If the script is of high quality, if an actor has skill, if a director knows what he/she is doing, it can be done.

I'm not saying that Anya Chalotra has it in her pocket, but boy if it doesn't remind me how Heath Ledger was too young, pretty and sweet to play the Joker. No way a guy who's crowning achievement is gay drama can be a killer clown! So unless you or anyone else has decided they won't watch the show no matter what, it's probably wise to wait for the actual footage of her in the role to make judgement.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

In case of CGI it make sense, those things can't be tweaked and they have to settle on something to start making them in advance.
As for work in progress, ideas come and go. Suddenly something doesn't work as intended, so games change till the last minute. They started with Wrobel, but then realized it didn't work. Geralt model was changed too. He looks different in early trailers, both ingame and CGI, in Night to Remember, in the final game. And the same was in TW2.
Maybe, maybe not, I don't claim I have the inside knowledge about what was a definite reason for CDPR to make a change. I just wanted to correct you about people here not complaining about Yennefer's in-game model. They did. A lot. ;)

Maybe, maybe not, I don't claim I have the inside knowledge about what was a definite reason for CDPR to make a change. I just wanted to correct you about people here not complaining about Yennefer's in-game model. They did. A lot. ;)
Fair enough. I wasn't impressed either with the early look. Granted I didn't read the books at that time. The final version was all kinds of awesome, though.

The only actor in the series that I'm familiar with is Cavill. I'll reserve all other judgment until I see how they've handled everything. I have no qualms with young actors taking on challenging, mature roles. It's been done brilliantly a thousand times. And actor's actual age does not directly determine what age range they can play (either up or down). Besides, lots of actors get railroaded into playing type-cast roles for years on end simply to keep working, regardless of their actual talent. It's a shame, but it's the nature of the business.

I'm very interested to see what they've come up with.

By that logic how can a 30 y.o. actor/actress play a 100 years old person. No way that complexity is achievable when you're only 30 years old. I call this nonsense. If the script is of high quality, if an actor has skill, if a director knows what he/she is doing, it can be done.

I'm not saying that Anya Chalotra has it in her pocket, but boy if it doesn't remind me how Heath Ledger was too young, pretty and sweet to play the Joker. No way a guy who's crowning achievement is gay drama can be a killer clown! So unless you or anyone else has decided they won't watch the show no matter what, it's probably wise to wait for the actual footage of her in the role to make judgement.
I didn't say Anya can't do it, I said it's considerably harder to play a character that's supposed to be matured far beyond their physical appearance (think LotR elves). Also, Heath Ledger was already quite a proven actor by the time his best performances rolled around... Anya has done nothing of note yet. It could go either way...

I didn't say Anya can't do it, I said it's considerably harder to play a character that's supposed to be matured far beyond their physical appearance (think LotR elves). Also, Heath Ledger was already quite a proven actor by the time his best performances rolled around... Anya has done nothing of note yet. It could go either way...
Ledger was already an accomplished actor, and it still didn't stop people.

A bit of black and white. Nice figure too.

Last edited:
well the show will be it's own thing to be judged by it's own merits. I was against it anyways cause it can't be done properly by Hollywood. Hopefully it won't suck too much. But in the end who cares. :p

Heath Ledger was too young, pretty and sweet to play the Joker.

Here is an other example how actors can transform. Or Cloud Atlas. So it's not hopeless to see a correct Yen. We will see.

So unless you or anyone else has decided they won't watch the show no matter what

From this view nobody would have played TW2. Watch the difference between the TW1 and TW2 Geralt. Completely different man. Only the colour of his hair and the eye scar are similar.

I think people can be a bit over-obsessed with physical appearance, age and other superficial aspects. Context matters a lot. We need to judge actors within the setting of the TV series. There's just too much prejudice at the moment. It's like all those people that cast Willem Dafoe as the Joker every time. Just the same as people who cast Eva Green as Yennefer. o_O

Anya Chalotra definitely feels like an unconventional cast, but I'm not writing her off just yet. Her performance was convincing in the snippets that I saw and I think she's a competent actress with good screen presence.

I get that a lot of people (me included) are super-attached to the game version or to whatever they imagined when they read the books. But the TV series is neither. If everything works out, it will broaden the franchise and will give us a different perspective. It's a good thing in my mind.

....Anya Chalotra definitely feels like an unconventional cast, but I'm not writing her off just yet. Her performance was convincing in the snippets that I saw and I think she's a competent actress with good screen presence....

I watched Wanderlust and I wasn't impressed with her performance in that. I haven't seen her in anything else though. I hope you are right, and she is a better actress than her Wanderlust performance.

Top Bottom