Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+
Looking forward to this, but I don't have high expectations. The first two episodes will be crucial to catch my attention.

Post automatically merged:

Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
For some reason the first four images can't be seen except with right-click + View Image.

The first Yennefer photo is great; they've really nailed it. I'm also liking Cavill as Geralt. I'm not going to watch the series (don't even have Netflix), but I'm glad to see good photos of its cast regardless.

Quite a step up in quality from Polish TV series. But it's expected.

Seems that the trailer will arrive on July 19. Per showrunner tweets.

Still goin' with the barefaced Geralt, I see. I know it's accurate from the books, but bearded Geralt is the only one for me.

Well, that looks a sight better than the Nilfgaardian armor, at least! :)
Looks a bit low-budget to me overall, though. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I'll take quality writing + characters + environments (atmospherically speaking) over fancy props, outfits, and sets.

But this is a Netflix production, so it's surprising. Will have to wait and see more.

Looks a bit low-budget to me overall, though. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I'll take quality writing + characters + environments (atmospherically speaking) over fancy props, outfits, and sets.

But this is a Netflix production, so it's surprising. Will have to wait and see more.

Yeah...it doesn't look like a Game of Thrones level venture, that's for sure. I'm hoping it manages to land a less-is-more approach, like the Battlestar reboot. On the whole, it looks like they tried to work aspects of the established visuals into it, though...rather than just re-introducing the whole universe using a brand new style. That is the one thing that I feel may backfire badly.

Remind people of something they love, and they'll immediately start drawing comparisons. May not have been the best design decision. As you say...we will see...

(Dramatic fade to black. Commercials.)

Yeah...it doesn't look like a Game of Thrones level venture, that's for sure. I'm hoping it manages to land a less-is-more approach, like the Battlestar reboot. On the whole, it looks like they tried to work aspects of the established visuals into it, though...rather than just re-introducing the whole universe using a brand new style. That is the one thing that I feel may backfire badly.

Those are just pictures of the characters, nothing else. We'll have to wait and see how it looks like post-production (or basically pre-CGI and after CGI).. If you look at on-set pictures from Game of Thrones without seeing the final post-production product, you'd probably get the same impression.

A bit long (30+ minutes), but this video is a very cool, showing the shoot and merging it with the post production result of various scenes through different seasons in Game of Thrones.

About my only reservation with the pictures from the Witcher series, Cavill is too beautiful of a man to play Gerald.

Last edited:
I like his armour. I think they used the game as inspiration. It looks like a combo between the Kaer Morhan armour and Wolven.

...basically pre-CGI and after CGI.

That's another thing I'm interested in seeing more of. The Witcher is definitely something that would benefit from more practical sets, costumes, and scenes. I would personally keep CGI out of it, as much as humanly possible and keep things like costuming and setting very down-to-earth. For CGI, I'd limit it to post-process on the color tones...some very subtle effects for things like magic...something that gives monsters an otherworldly look...do something with Geralt's eyes and skin...but nothing close to what we see in movies like Lord of the Rings. I'd rather focus on Hitchcock -- it's what we don't see that's scary.

So rather than seeing something like this as a monster:

...the audience would mostly see flashes of stuff like this:

Now, if I had to interpret what we've seen so far (the style of costuming, the framing of the shots -- especially for publicity photos -- and the overall action the directorial team seems to be trying to capture), I think the energy is leaning more toward The Avengers than Game of Thrones.

Since "real world politics" aren't allowed i just can say that i don't trust the team behind the series. Daredevil season 2 part 2 and defenders were awful and what the showrunner and the other writers said on twitter shows they don't know about The Witcher universe and their CV is bad. They have no experience.
Search the leaks. The budget it's too low for a fantasy series and half went to Henry Cavill. The other actors are nothing special.
This will be a terrible adaptation.

Last edited:
Yep that pretty much sums it up for me. I don't understand why they couldn't cast people who look like the characters are supposed to look, it just feels very racist to me - no offense intended to anyone who is excited for the show, it just seems like the showrunners felt there were too many white characters so they wanted to remove some. I'll definitely not be spending any $ to watch this. Again to re-iterate, not intending to hurt anybody's feelings, just sharing my opinion on this.

Or perhaps she simply nailed the audition.

[Edit. -Drac]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm offended. Where are Geralt's scars?
And the Wolf medallion... it just looks so... wrong and two-dimensional...
:D ;)

Again, RL politics have no place here. More posts deleted. Also, hostility towards others is not welcome either.

If you want to discuss the upcoming show without breaking forum rules, great. If you want to discuss what political things may be involved in the show, don't.

I really don't get most of the problems here. The pictures so far are looking great and I really love them
Sure Ciri looks kinda older, but my guess is they make her older, out of the same reason they made some character older in GoT

I don't know. The armor looks like it's been manufactured with stitching machines in a present day motorcycle accessories factory from kevlar and eco leather. Maybe it will look more worn in in the show but it's just too modern looking to me. But I can see the same designer who did the scrotum Nilfgaard thing behind it.

Top Bottom