Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+
I don't know. The armor looks like it's been manufactured with stitching machines in a present day motorcycle accessories factory from kevlar and eco leather. Maybe it will look more worn in in the show but it's just too modern looking to me. But I can see the same designer who did the scrotum Nilfgaard thing behind it.

The quality too looks abit on the low-side. I hope it will look better on screen.

The design is nice though, like I said looks like a combo between Kaer Morhen Armour and Wolven.. but the quality is bit low.

The quality too looks abit on the low-side. I hope it will look better on screen.

The design is nice though, like I said looks like a combo between Kaer Morhen Armour and Wolven.. but the quality is bit low.

Yeah. I agree.

Rather than showing a shot of say...Geralt riding along a road during a torrential downpour...or meditating in the corner of an inn while people glance at him uneasily...

Rather than seeing Yennifer working hunched over a table of magical implements...or Triss whispering into the ear of some noble...

We see "hero shots". It's more like the design is trying to say, "Oooh -- look! Look it's Geralt!" instead of capturing the theme and soul of the story. None of the shots are in-action. Makes it feel very "plastic".

Yeah. I agree.

Rather than showing a shot of say...Geralt riding along a road during a torrential downpour...or meditating in the corner of an inn while people glance at him uneasily...

Rather than seeing Yennifer working hunched over a table of magical implements...or Triss whispering into the ear of some noble...

We see "hero shots". It's more like the design is trying to say, "Oooh -- look! Look it's Geralt!" instead of capturing the theme and soul of the story. None of the shots are in-action. Makes it feel very "plastic".

I see what you mean, I think these are just early shots for fans, it is the makers of the show's way of letting us get to see a glimpse of what they have worked on.

I hope by July 19 and beyond they will release a proper introduction to the story with trailers and possibly more screenshots.

...I think these are just early shots for fans...

Bingo. That's certainly not a nail in the coffin or anything, and it doesn't mean that the show won't still be phenominal. But it's definitely indicative of where the focus may lie.

OK folks,
I am REALLY tired reading and watching YT critique about the Witcher show where there should be none.

Sticking to the books.
- Geralt rarely used silver sword as the runic silver was only to fight powerful magical/legendary creatures or the ones allergic to silver. Sword was prone to damage on hard surfaces. Geralt carried it in a wooden box iirc.
- No scars are a positive sign of developing the character. Being a witcher comes with extreme speed and agility. Being hit once by a monster more than likely resulted in death or crippling damage. Geralt always went in prepared to the max to end the fight clean and quick.
- Yennefer didnt use ILLUSION to look like she has. It was transformation to look the part as a sorceress (the prestige, the influence and power). She had magical surgery to straighten the body out.
- Ciri is still young and a brat at that. Her training will only begin at some point after the 1 season I think.
- Some monsters/characters look different than in the game. Remember, CDPR took some liberties with design that would work gameplay and mechanics wise. Netflix did too I guess.

- Nilfgardian armour... yep, you got me there, I dont know what were they thinking making those :] but I assume there might be a reason since all the other plate armour looks medieval and realistic.

My only real complaint would be Brokilon. Dryads were slim and human-like. Human girls taken in by Dryads to rise them as their own looked almost dryad-like because they too changed a bit because of and by the Forest. If you want a black actress to play Eithné at least paint her hair and make the eyes silver! Plus she was shorter looking like a girl with an authority. Wearing a weavy cloth not a cammo!

Not complaining about race swapping, tokenism or whatever just yet. Somehow I stopped caring about it at some point, the online passion/hate wore me out on the subject. Now I just want a good story and amazing acting portraying relatable characters.

It would be wise to drop game comparison and related expectations to really enjoy the series.

Take care folks.

1492684570_skrinshot-2017-04-20-13-32-57.png
The heresy! ...But seriously, I'd say that so far it looks "not great, not terrible" © Dyatlov.

Moderator: A few more posts were deleted recently. Since it's been necessary for moderators to intervene in this thread quite a lot, overall, here's another reminder from our rules:

It is prohibited to:
  • ridicule other users, post content which insults individuals or social groups, or spoil (in a broad sense) the fun of other users
  • write about political and world-view topics; this does not apply to discussions about fictional topics connected with the worlds depicted in the CDPR products
Please, remember that the Netflix series is not a CDPR product. As such, all discussions of political or world-view topics related to it are not allowed. Also, regardless of personal opinions about casting choices, please, keep comments respectful. Otherwise, this thread may be closed.

Perhaps my google-fu isn't great but is there a thread specifically for the upcoming Netflix TV series? I haven't been able to find one.

@Hayashi.226 There is one, and I've merged your thread with it. This is on the Witcher forum so it's kind of hidden, I suppose.

Moved the thread to Community for increased visibility and because the series has no direct connection to CDPR.

Last edited:
I read the books - several times in fact. I see no reason to watch Holywood interpretation of those, because Holywood hardly ever made a good movie based on a book. And by Holywood I mean western film industry altogether.

Real-world politics do not belong on this forum. Not only is it in the rules but there is also such a reminder further up on this very page.

A few posts deleted. And no, "not to get political" does not negate political comments.

"Holywood hardly ever made a good movie based on a book"
Also: Blade Runner, Jurassic Park, The Shawshank Redemption, The Wizard of Oz, The Godfather, Forrest Gump, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Princess Bride, The Silence of the Lambs, The Shining, Stand by Me, Fight Club, Trainspotting, One Flew Over the Coo Coo's Nest, Die Hard, Jaws, Psycho, Gone with the Wind, No Country for Old Men, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Martian ...

Granted there are indeed a lot of bad ones too, but there are a lot of good ones.

EDIT: But I digress. The point is that just because The Witcher is taking a book series to a different medium does not mean it will be bad.

Also: Blade Runner, Jurassic Park, The Shawshank Redemption, The Wizard of Oz, The Godfather, Forrest Gump, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Princess Bride, The Silence of the Lambs, The Shining, Stand by Me, Fight Club, Trainspotting, One Flew Over the Coo Coo's Nest, Die Hard, Jaws, Psycho, Gone with the Wind, No Country for Old Men, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Martian ...

Granted there are indeed a lot of bad ones too, but there are a lot of good ones.

EDIT: But I digress. The point is that just because The Witcher is taking a book series to a different medium does not mean it will be bad.

Yeah - anything modern? From last 10 years or so? I see the Martian - OK. That's one. Sorry, but modern Holywood is crap, produces (mostly) crap and I have zero hopes that Netflix Witcher will even remotely go through all the social and human topics which were so important in the books. It will be an action series, with romantic plot and at best it will show that humans can be pretty racists (in this case against elves and dwarwes) without even bothering to draw the reasons and story behind that. You know, to simplify everything for a modern viewer. I may be wrong, but like I said - recent big western productions are stupid AF, and Netflix even more so, so there is a pattern here. Hell, check out the recent series, based on very good material (Boys (Amazon), The Watchmen or The Umbrella Academy). They were dumbed down and included topics not even appearing in source material, bringing nothing to the story, and put there for "reasons".

So tell me - why should I watch that?

Yeah - anything modern? From last 10 years or so?
1. The Witcher books aren't exactly new either.
2. The Martian and No Country for Old Men are both relatively new.
3. Others: The Harry Potter Series is very good overall (though Chamber of Secrets and Goblet of Fire were less so), The Help Cloud Atlas, Life of Pi, & The Descendants are the ones that come to mind without looking anything up. Also TV shows have been good adaptations: Game of Thrones (which was VERY good at adapting the books, and then lost it's way at the end when it didn't have the source material to cleave to), Altered Carbon, the Expanse. I'm very excited to see how His Dark Materials turns out. If you count comic books, which I don't mostly, then it opens up a whole other list of adaptations that have been for the most part pretty good.

1. The Witcher books aren't exactly new either.
2. The Martian and No Country for Old Men are both relatively new.
3. Others: The Harry Potter Series is very good overall (though Chamber of Secrets and Goblet of Fire were less so), The Help Cloud Atlas, Life of Pi, & The Descendants are the ones that come to mind without looking anything up. Also TV shows have been good adaptations: Game of Thrones (which was VERY good at adapting the books, and then lost it's way at the end when it didn't have the source material to cleave to), Altered Carbon, the Expanse. I'm very excited to see how His Dark Materials turns out. If you count comic books, which I don't mostly, then it opens up a whole other list of adaptations that have been for the most part pretty good.

First, I don't understand how is the age of Witcher books relevant anyway? And second - I'll be very happy to be proven wrong by Netflix. But what I saw in the trailers don't give me much hope for a good adaptation. Let's see.

Top Bottom