Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+

It's interesting, that Henry Cavill said he likes fantasy since childhood and is a massive PC gamer.

And reportedly, he played through TW3 several times.

If anyone watched any episodes, let us know what you think.

Watched ~1.5 episodes so far and it's been enjoyable. Overall the acting seems good. I'd say Cavill in particular does a fine job of creating that Geralt vibe. The script and fight scenes are respectable. The pace felt a bit sluggish at the beginning but this is to be expected. I'll reserve judgement on the overall plot quality since I haven't watched enough episodes. Admittedly, I'm not overly concerned with it matching the books and/or games perfectly because... adaptation....

All and all I'd place it into the "good" category. Unfortunately, eight episodes may not be enough.

I was about to mention only8 episodes, that is pretty much a day's binge watch. Only 2 episode in and I love the look and vibe of it but the order in which things are happening is weird? Apparently two timeline is going on at the same time. One in the present and one in the past. Very odd choice.

I watched first 4 episodes. Episodes 1-2 are jumbled with too much exposition and bad acting from Cavill. Salvaged by two female leads. Episodes 3-4 is when things pick up. Episode 4 was rather great. I love Anya Chalotra as Yennefer. She gives the role everything. Bravo. Freya Allan as Ciri is really solid.

Cavill is disappointment. Ruined great book lines. Really bad actor.

I watched first 4 episodes. Episodes 1-2 are jumbled with too much exposition and bad acting from Cavill. Salvaged by two female leads. Episodes 3-4 is when things pick up. Episode 4 was rather great. I love Anya Chalotra as Yennefer. She gives the role everything. Bravo. Freya Allan as Ciri is really solid.

Cavill is disappointment. Ruined great book lines. Really bad actor.

You can't always put the blame on the actor, what if the director is telling Cavill to act that way?

Look what they did to my Triss Merigold...

cover5.jpeg

...and I was afraid about Vringilla Vigo :disapprove:

Welp, the Netflix servers are overloaded because of The Witcher. Damn, how many people are watching now? :think:

Watching this didn't feel like I was watching a Witcher show most of the time, and more like your average fantasy show. Very strange - you'd think the short stories in particular would be relatively easy to adapt well, since they're already structured episodically in the books, but they make a big mess of it with bad pacing, a lot of unnecessary and, frankly, poor changes to the story. It also seems to me like they completely missed the points the books were trying to make, everything felt extremely heavyhanded. The atmosphere, sets and costumes were way off as well.

A shame, it's such a waste of potential - made even worse due to the fact that the short stories are the best part of the books. Hopefully Season 2 improves, but with such underwhelming level of writing and the overall vision for the series, I don't know that it can...

Ultimatley, I'd say it's a fairly average show, but it feels worse to me because it could have been so much more.

Watched the first episode. I'd say changing the order of the stories was a mistake, but overall it's not bad.

I agree about pacing. It felt too fast. May be the director is worried Netflix won't approve many seasons, so they want to pack everything into more condensed episodes? I hope it won't ruin the result for them.

Last edited:
Finished all 8 episodes. Anya Chalotra was the highlight for me. Episodes 3-5 were the best. Overall, I'm disappointed with the vision of the show. It just doesn't have the same appeal as the books and the games. Cavill sucked, but Anya rescued the season from the pits.

That being said, I'm still waiting for season 2. I hope it happens.

Nani!? No way this is Foltest, he looks and even behaves more like Henselt... Ugh, sorry, but the cast "is dark and full of (t)errors". Same can be said for some other aspects of the show as well. Still got very slight hope for the rest several episodes.
bandicam 2019-12-21 02-30-47-658.jpg

Cavill acts that way in every movie. Sometimes it fits a bit better, sometimes it doesn't fit at all.

Never been a fan of his acting either, to be honest. In this case I don't think it's terrible. Keeping in mind Geralt always rubbed me as kind of distant, a man of few words and the polar opposite of overtly expressive. The character in the show kind of fits that description. As does the acting of him. If I'd poke any holes in his performance it would be more related to the script. It's probably difficult to "act" when a large part of your material consists of one liners or grunts here or there. None of this is to say he could perform if this were not the case.

At this point I think the worst part of the show is the costume design and overall look of some of the more outer-worldly creatures. Some of the stuff in those areas looks.... cheap.

I suppose one could point to the plot as well. More specifically, the order events are presented feels... off.

I will say it certainly explores the, "People are just as much monsters as the actual "monsters"., concept. I'd wager at least 70-80% of the random people in the show come off as proverbial shitbags in one way or another. Kings, queens, mages/sorcerers, peasants, etc. It doesn't discriminate in this regard :). Shitbags galore. I had to pause for a second when they covered the Nilfgaard approach to conquering. On one hand it's morally questionable... On the other.... I wonder how many shitbags are in that lot getting conquered.

Top Bottom