Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+
I've read both. Game of Thrones has a larger and more complex plot, though the Witcher series probably has more complex and subtle themes. Both have entire subplots that are only 1/4 explained and the rest left to the reader to sort out.

I'm talking about themes, not so much the plot. Adapting the former is a harder task.

What is the name of that composition that plays when Geralt and Co. cross the dwarven mountain path in episode 6 and the camera zooms out to show the bird view of the mountain? That's some good Witcher music :)

This.

Although I agree with nedders on the casting being mostly totally wrong. Triss was never known in the books for "flaming red hair". Can't remember that line.
Keep in mind that Game Triss is also completely wrong.

Getting muddled up, sorry!

Stand by comments on casting. Or maybe it's direction; these characters should have an aura.

Just watched the Villentrentenameth episode. Bit underwhelmed - the battle didn't happen as it did in the book, and the dragon CGI was again underwhelming. Suffers from a lack of budget. Notice as well each episode is separately directed, which is similar to True Detective, and I understand why as it's short stories, but they're also sequentially following the path of Ciri towards Geralt so it makes it feel a little disjointed.

Still good though.

Getting muddled up, sorry!

Stand by comments on casting. Or maybe it's direction; these characters should have an aura.

Just watched the Villentrentenameth episode. Bit underwhelmed - the battle didn't happen as it did in the book, and the dragon CGI was again underwhelming. Suffers from a lack of budget. Notice as well each episode is separately directed, which is similar to True Detective, and I understand why as it's short stories, but they're also sequentially following the path of Ciri towards Geralt so it makes it feel a little disjointed.

Still good though.

I love the villentretenmerth storyline in the book, it's just bonkers and incredibly hilarious. The scene with the dwarfs and yennifer being tie up is one of the best. Lol.

I hope CDPR won't mocap Cavill for the next Witcher game. Pan Sapkowski said he's the face of Geralt forever.

Witcher games are done. For Geralt anyway.

Hoping for a more open-ended character for the next game in the setting. I'd like to be a sorceror or a spy.

Or not involving a Witcher as a main character at all.

Because otherwise it's "The Other Witcher That's Not Geralt"
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure other games have similar "The X" names but don't necessarily always follow the same character. At this point, "The Witcher" might as well just be a brand name. Thronebreaker has a "Witcher Tales" subtitle, but as far as I know, Maeve (? not sure of the spelling) is not a Witcher in any way.

On the topic of the Witcher show, I thought it was excellent. The fact that it has something like a 53% critic score and a 92% audience score is, in my opinion, quite telling. Please note I'm not here to moan about "journalism" and all that nonsense, but in my experience, many of my favorite films or shows are hated by critics for one reason or another. There's a few exceptions (Blade Runner 2049), but usually, that's how it goes.

I think it helps a lot that I've read the Witcher books and played the games, but my family members and one of my best friends have done neither and they also loved it. People all seem to agree that the first two episodes are extremely confusing, though.

I think Cavill plays Geralt very well. I hope he shows a bit more emotion and the subtle sarcasm Geralt is known for (yes, I'm aware it's more toned down in the books versus the games) down the line. I like that he took queues from the game Geralt for the voice. I like Yennefer and Triss. I LOVE Ciri. LOVE Jaskier/Dandelion (takes some getting used to, that name, but I like it). I despise Fringilla's character, I liked her much better in the games (didn't like her in the books either, for the record).

I hope this show gets many seasons. Of course, not going on longer than is appropriate. I also wish people would stop comparing it to Game of Thrones. This is a false and misleading comparison, and if you try to get people to watch the show based on that, don't be surprised if they end up hating it.

I think what the show did very will is help set up the characters, their motivations, and personalities. By the end of Episode 8, we should all have a decent idea what kind of people we're dealing with. Who has a good heart, who is willing to cross lines for the greater good, who is downright evil, and who is flawed but sympathetic, etc... This is what a first season should accomplish.

Witcher games are done. For Geralt anyway.

Hoping for a more open-ended character for the next game in the setting. I'd like to be a sorceror or a spy.
No thanks. Just like with Witcher books, there's always a possibility to create a new story. If it's not about Geralt, there's no reason to do a Witcher game. It's like Tomb Raider without Lara Croft.

The show is a steaming pile of horse manure, it reduced TW to something akin to Xena or Hercules crossed with one of those vampire romances for "young adults", plus added gore and sex. Each one of the actors might be talented individually but the contest in which they work is that of a caricature, a parody. I only hope CDPR won't get influenced a tiny iota by that show. Actually I don't see any need for a new Witcher game but I get that they simply have to make one cause they'd be crazy not to.

Watched the first season twice already, my gf haven't played games or read any books and loved it more than me, although she was confused at chaotic timeline and lore. 8/10 from her and 6/10 from me. As truth always lies in the middle it's a 7/10. :howdy:

Now if only they can fix some of the the miscast, costumes and bring a more consistent & developed story with less deviations from the source material, next time tis' gonna be good. :ok:

Top Bottom