Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+
Spoilers, so be aware.

What irks me most is how the show seems to be handling Triss. I mean don't. Don't...go there.

Triss? Oh. No...let's do our own little interpretation. #### the books. :rolleyes::(

The game's take on Triss was a bit of a different interpretation from the books as well. Book Triss does not have cherry red hair, her hair is described as "kasztanowy" which is more like auburn or chestnut in English.

Of course you're free to not like the TV series' casting choice, but a lot of the complaints on Triss' casting seem to be that she doesn't closely resemble the game character, when the game's character wasn't an exact match for the book character either.

O/T but the complaints about Triss' casting have me wondering if fans will be in an uproar if the Lord of the Rings TV series gives Legolas black or dark brown hair. Most probably imagine a blonde because of the film portrayal by Orlando Bloom, but a line of text in the books suggests he had dark hair.

Last edited:
Of course you're free to not like the TV series' casting choice, but a lot of the complaints on Triss' casting seem to be that she doesn't closely resemble the game character, when the game's character wasn't an exact match for the book character either.

I was more concerned with the acting ability of the actor selected, to be honest. Well, the lack of it. Perhaps this is due to the marginal role though.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Honestly, the best thing to come out of this show is all the memes, the covers of 'Toss a Coin to yer witcher' and all the increase of popularity of the much superior books and videogames.

In memes, it will probably compete with Hokuto No Ken :)

As for soundtrack, I'm still looking for the name of the music that plays in the sixth episode on the dwarven path.

You should read the books. The show is objectively mediocre, sometimes even bad as an adaptation. It only keeps the most superficial and basic stuff from the books ignoring many other important things. It's funny because all the games (being technically sequels) are far better adaptations than Netflix's series. If you also compare the show with the first two books on which it is based, then you can say that the show is objectively bad. It's entertaining? yeah sure, but that's precisely the problem, because with that source material from the books the show should be much more than only "entertainment"...
As someone who read all the books, even Season of Storms and Sapkowski's non canon short story of Yen and Geralt's wedding, I never saw the books as particularly deep or special. The last few where a kid like Ciri was being continuously victimized by villains were disturbing. Yen and Geralt are the definition of toxic relationship, and Yen herself is just not a very nice person, using her good acts as a method of control and justification for her abrasive nature and shouting (I've seen how harmful that is in my mother, having the misfortune of living with that kind of person).

I've only seen the first 4 episodes of the Netflix show, but they seem fine to me (especially compared with the first Polish tv show, of which I have seen every episode). I'll have to finish the last 4 Netflix episodes when I have time.

Forum veteran
I liked it. The pacing was weird and so much time was devoted to setting things up for later that surprisingly little happened to push the plot forward, but it was charming and stupid. Less addictive than Carnival Row, but perfectly adequate TV fluff nonetheless. The "Marvel movie" of hyper-violent low fantasy television, basically.

I've had a fondness for Henry Cavill for a long time because he's in a couple of my favorite movies, and his Geralt is less jarring than expected. Triss sells the "adorable little sister" vibe that apparently becomes her role later on (from what I've heard; I've never actually read the books because I never learned to read). Yen was the biggest highlight for me and deserved more screen time. And Ciri is fine, but her wide-eyed, optimistic-to-the-point-of-being-stupid shtick got annoying fast.

Also, do prophecies just suck? That whole "girl in the woods" stuff sounded good at first, but it drove me a little crazy that they could have easily found each other in that house where they both ended up if not for randomly meandering into the trees.

The house was even in the woods. It would have worked either way. I'm not sure I can let this go. It'd be like if Robb Stark was wearing Mickey Mouse ears during the Red Wedding. Still impactful on some level, but just... why?

As someone who read all the books, even Season of Storms and Sapkowski's non canon short story of Yen and Geralt's wedding, I never saw the books as particularly deep or special. The last few where a kid like Ciri was being continuously victimized by villains were disturbing. Yen and Geralt are the definition of toxic relationship, and Yen herself is just not a very nice person, using her good acts as a method of control and justification for her abrasive nature and shouting (I've seen how harmful that is in my mother, having the misfortune of living with that kind of person).

I've only seen the first 4 episodes of the Netflix show, but they seem fine to me (especially compared with the first Polish tv show, of which I have seen every episode). I'll have to finish the last 4 Netflix episodes when I have time.

The great thing about the characters in the books is that they are not the same old same old characters you read about in all the other books. The characters have flaws, acts in ways you might not expect, events unfold differently, but the characters do stay true to themselves.

The great thing about the characters in the books is that they are not the same old same old characters you read about in all the other books. The characters have flaws, acts in ways you might not expect, events unfold differently, but the characters do stay true to themselves.

Which doesn't mean they can't be annoying. Yennefer in the books was rather annoying often, which I suppose is by design and intentional.

I mean Geralt in the book seems to be always yelling and mad, but isn't that why he's loveable?

He is, but that's not what made Yennefer's character annoying :) She is a very well written character of course, but quite a spiky personality, at least that's how I felt it. In the film she had a better impression actually.

The fact that people who don’t even like fantasy genre films and tv series liked it, is a good sign that this show is going to get bigger and better in the future.

Ive been playing games so I havent watched the series, but damn, nice to know they are already planning Season 2.

Season 2 is aimed for release in 2021. Could Witcher be in same release window? Or then with third season in 2023? 2023 sounds pretty right for Witcher 4 imho.

Still not planning to watch this, but I'm happy that it boosted the sales of W3 game and probably made Sapkowski quite rich. Perhaps now he will write something new - perhaps even something S-F? He once written a short story, called "Battle Dust", and it was one of the coolest hard S-F stories I've read. He can also write quite good about modern military stuff, like the "Viper" book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't call it great but I did enjoy the show. I think it would have benefited from a short prologue showing the process by which Witchers are created and their training with powers & swordplay...mainly for the benefit of audience members who have no knowledge of the books/games. I did enjoy it enough that I hope they are able to move forward with additional seasons...ideally without the variable timeline storytelling approach (which I found confusing initially).
I believe that they will show little bit more backstory to how witchers are created and such in the season two.
It may begin in the Kaer'morhen where present witchers are training Ciri. Then she will start to be moody and they will call Triss with her beautiful free chestnut hair and they will menstruate together. Subsequently they will move Cirilla to the temple of Melitelé where she starts her own adventure and the whole plot and storyline will shifts towards Ciri's continuous kidnapping and lesbian escapades. And like in the books, there will be actual witcher only in the 2 episodes out of the 8.

I am now in episode 7 and I have to say that the series has been pretty excellent so far. Cavill fits the role perfectly, and while I wasn't too enthusiastic about Jennefer, she grew on me as the series went on. Writing definitely helps. There has been a bunch of stellar scenes I'm not used to seeing in a streaming show. Usually streaming shows that Ive managed to watch have a lot of 'filler', while this series had something different and important happening in every episode.

My biggest gripe (Im sure for many people) was the unnecessarily convoluted timeline. I just don't see how that makes the series any better, and can confuse a casual viewer even if non-linearity was pretty obvious early on. Like many others, I wasn't really sold on Triss appearance either.

Detailing some of my favorite scenes so far (in spoilers)

Episode 1: the swordfight - "The butcher of Blaviken"
This fight blew me away. It was one of the best coreographed swordfight scenes I've seen this decade. Usually directors have to utilize a variety of tricks - such as splicing the action into short pieces, close-ups, shaky-cam etc - in order to hide the ineptitude of the actors. Not in this case. Cavill was so impressive, Penny Arcade made a comic about this scene. (Henry cavill kills 20 extras)
Even the fight against Renfri didn't look like a total blow-out, even if she obviously couldn't match Cavill's prowess and he had to make it look like there was actual resistance.

Episode 2: Toss a coin to your witcher
Yes, I put this here just for the song. I can't help it, its too catchy.

Episode 5: Geralt meets Yennefer.

Merchant: "You're a bit shy.."
Yennefer: "I've never been shy a day in my life. Count again."

This episode perfectly showcases what kind of personality Yennefer is, and I happen to like strong female characters, even if the story in season 1 was told possibly too fast.
The mayor who thought about collecting toll from Yennefer for daring to practice magic in his town, ends up serving applejuice while naked. Due to circumstances, Geralt walks in on an orgy Yennefer orchestrated from the towns bigwigs for her own amusement.
"I...uh...brought apple juice."

Episode 6: the romance
I usually care little for romantic scenes or romance in general, I find it terribly cheesy usually. But the scene in Yennefers "larger from the inside" tent was done perfectly.

Counting the events in episode 5, its obvious more time has passed since those events. We see Geralt waking from a double bed all by himself, explaining how the most unbearable thing about her departure is how her scent fades. We hear Yen explaining that she dreamed of meaning something to someone. Then the morning comes, Geralt wakes, and she is still there. He says the most meaningful "Good morning" I've possibly ever heard.

I think its amazing how impressive this series is considering its length. Overall, I like this possibly the most out of all the streaming series I've watched since I started watching netflix/HBO. Yes, that includes GoT which I forced myself to watch 4 seasons to figure out what all the hubbab is. After 4 seasons I finally had to call it that I simply don't like it.

And no, I haven't read any of the books.

Without expectations, like forgetting the books and the games and awesome time you spent with them, it's just bland fantasy trash. With excellent dialogue writing like "fuck", "you and destiny can both fuck right off" and "fuck".

I was expecting the Netflix show to be very close to the books. Watching through a second time knowing this was not the case, allowed me to distance the show from the books. It was enjoyable - I don't like getting hung up on every little thing I don't like. It is just a TV show at the end of the day - entertainment if you will.

Top Bottom